Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2015, 19:31   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: North Carolina Boater's Be Aware

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Yeah, but they don't tip.
Soooooooo..... The $6,500 plus I as a Canadian spent last year means butkus to the local merchants in the marine business?

Got it. I wonder how they would make that up?

And I'm only one person with a smaller 30' boat.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 25-06-2015, 19:38   #47

Boat: csy 37

Dredging in Florida is handled by the Florida Inland Navigation District (FIND). FIND is funded by real estate property taxes. On my tax bill last year it was about $3.00. Thats why the Florida ICW is in generally good condition.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 20:01   #48
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Dredging in Florida is handled by the Florida Inland Navigation District (FIND). FIND is funded by real estate property taxes. On my tax bill last year it was about $3.00. Thats why the Florida ICW is in generally good condition.
Uh-oh... You mean, it's not just Canuckleheads who are "using the hell out of" Florida's waters for $0.00 ?

Sounds like this Jersey Boy owes you a beer next time I pass thru The Sunshine State...

If I'm still permitted to anchor there, that is...

;-)
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 20:21   #49

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

The general assembly figures if you have a big boat, you're rich.

Revenue source. Low hanging fruit, politically. Most of the push back won't even show up on their radar. Unless they log on to cruisers forum. I bet boat US may be involved, anyone seen evidence of that?

Thx for refraining from political diatribe, it won't help. Write your state lawmaker, if you live here. For those of you really frustrated, consider voicing your concerns to your local reps. They are much more accessible than US congress, and that's how the system works. Or doesn't.

I'm not happy about it, but it would take far more than 100 some-odd dollars to make NC unattractive as a home port. I guess the general assembly is banking on that. I'm far more Interested in the management of the funds than the actual fees. Perhaps it will create some value for NC boaters?

Jolly Roger, this won't apply to you this year. As far as taxes, you may be liable for both pamlico county and new bern taxes if you are here through the winter. Someone can confirm, but I think they check the marinas at the outset of the new year. When you say pamlico sound, I'm assuming you mean new bern or oriental or perhaps little Washington....?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 20:23   #50

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee

Hi all, a question...my boat is registered in N.C. and it lives in Mexico with a 10 year permit. Am I going to be subject to this ransom?
Time to change her over to the land of the taco!
mrlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 03:32   #51
CLOD

Boat: none

No one made any of us get a boat

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 26-06-2015, 05:05   #52

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett

Yes USBoats is actively involved...go to there web site or to cruisers forms and you will find an already prepared form email or text letter ready for you to attached the name of your Rep/Senator and they will send it in. Now this only apply s to NC residents. It only applies to boat owners along the coast that's who is going to pay not the ones who trailer there boat in from two counties out each weekend and uses the inlets to fish or whatever.
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 06:11   #53

I know my comment may sound too political or too "out there" but one has to look at the larger society trends when analyzing persistence of some new legislative attempts, as much as they may seem "local" at first glance.

And the trend has been for the past 50 or so years away from individual's choice and toward the gov't inspired alternatives, or lack thereof. Whether it's individual's choice to carry a firearm or to choose or not to choose any kind of insurance (auto, med, house, etc) or the choice of a boat as residence. Now they come for the liveaboards and other free spirits. And don't forget that for a tax collecting bureaucrat a liveaboard, from whom it's nary impossible to collect hefty property taxes (as he will just move to a more tax friendly jurisdiction), is an enemy to be eradicated as a class or at least to burden with as much costs/taxes as possible. Together with the draconian tax laws for the non-resident citizens (only US and Somalia have those) and the 10 year forward tax pre-pay for those wishing to give up their US citizenship the picture of the future is bleak indeed for the liveaboard who will try to escape these trends.

PS On the choice of the boat as residence I have an indicative personal anecdote. Few years back a liveaboard friend who spends Apr-Oct in New England and the rest around FL/South had to sign up for Obamacare. When he tried to sign up giving his address as "Mooring/dock #XXX, XXXX Harbor, MA" the system of course would not accept it. He called the hotline number and spoke with customer rep who advised him that he has to have a physical address, any address, as they don't have any way to put his boat's mooring as the address. After much back and force and trying to talk to the higher ups my friend realized that this would be a losing battle so he got a PO box at the closest post office and that was the only way for him to be accepted into the system. Even then they gave him grief for not having a proper home address.

This perfectly indicates the society's attitude to liveaboards in general. So it's little wander that the states feel it's no big deal to burden the liveaboards with another tax or barreir to their chosen lifestyle.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 06:22   #54

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Island Time while I agree with your post in general I doubt you have to look that deep. This is simpler. As stated earlier there is little political blowback from taking money from this minority group. Not to improve services or provide a better way of life, but simply because they can. They care little for the long term effects on local economy or business owners. In the short term they get the funds needed to fill a gap in their budget and the problems associated with this can be handled by the next person in office.

As government budgets fall apart you'll see more and more of this on those who are either a minority with capital (boat owners would fall here) or those that it's difficult to relocate (homeowners and business owners).
Old 26-06-2015, 06:36   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
Island Time while I agree with your post in general I doubt you have to look that deep. This is simpler. As stated earlier there is little political blowback from taking money from this minority group. Not to improve services or provide a better way of life, but simply because they can. They care little for the long term effects on local economy or business owners. In the short term they get the funds needed to fill a gap in their budget and the problems associated with this can be handled by the next person in office.

As government budgets fall apart you'll see more and more of this on those who are either a minority with capital (boat owners would fall here) or those that it's difficult to relocate (homeowners and business owners).
Yes, the tax loving legislator and/or bureaucrat is usually very opportunistic. But as we have a voting system which is very unfriendly to "rootless vagabonds" liveaboards together with ex-pats have too many obstacles to participate in the political process not to mention lack of representation as a class. In many European countries their own ex-pats usually have an MP or two in their parliaments whose constituents are anyone living abroad.

Considering that we have about 6 or 7 million US citizens living abroad that's a very considerable constituency, greater than the size of population of Massachusetts. Would be great if a political movement can be started to empower these millions of citizens to have their own 2 senators and 9 or 10 congressmen. The liveaboards would be natural allies in such an arrangement. I know it would take a long shot amendment to the Constitution but would be a good try anyway.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 13:29   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Uh-oh... You mean, it's not just Canuckleheads who are "using the hell out of" Florida's waters for $0.00 ?
Sounds like this Jersey Boy owes you a beer next time I pass thru The Sunshine State...
If I'm still permitted to anchor there, that is...
;-)

I stand corrected. Just checked my tax bill for last year. My share of the FIND tax was 86 cents. 86 cents!!! Jon, that wont even buy a senior coffee at McDonalds. But thanks for the offer anyway.

And all you guys who use the Florida ICW for FREE, you're welcome.
Old 26-06-2015, 13:40   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Soooooooo..... The $6,500 plus I as a Canadian spent last year means butkus to the local merchants in the marine business
Avb3, I was only joking. Sorry but I sent that one from my tablet and am somehow unable - or unknowing of - how to add a smiley face.

I actually admit to having Canadian friends, one of whom is an excellent sailor/racer who winters here (central florida) and summers in Toronto. Its a privilege to be invited to crew for him when he races here....
Old 26-06-2015, 18:34   #58

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

Hi Cheoah:
I wrote you a private message, but your in box is full. Can you make some space please, or send me a PM so I can talk to you about Pamlico Sound.
Thanks. JR
Old 26-06-2015, 18:52   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
So what, they "use the heck out of" I-95, as well...

What is your point? Because one needs to pay to use the Trent-Severn Waterway, we should turn the ICW and I-95 into toll roads, as well?
Well....

The NC legislature has been talking for years to make I95 a toll road! A few years ago these idiots allowed a private company to built a road, the south part of 540 and turn it into a toll road. The north part of 540 is free, only the people to the south have to pay to use the road. I refuse to use that road to spite the b.....ds.

The same group of idiots allowed a toll lane or some such down on I85 going to Charlotte. When I moved to NC, I was really impressed with the roads. Then, towards the mid/end of the 90's, there was a "surplus" in the road building fund so the idiots spent it on other projects and the roads went to hades. Image that. Now we have toll roads in a state that did not have them and our roads stink due to lack of funds. Yet we have one of the highest fuel taxes in the US....

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 19:30   #60

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Hi Cheoah:
I wrote you a private message, but your in box is full. Can you make some space please, or send me a PM so I can talk to you about Pamlico Sound.
Thanks. JR

Ya man, I deleted some, fire away. Feel free to make a post on the topic too, lots of experience on the forum here in the pamlico.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
north carolina