Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-04-2016, 13:33   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: No vision in one eye -- what optical solution is best?

Originally Posted by unclemack View Post
Anybody else seeing half a mile of IMG code in the email notification or am I being picked on?
Oh, my! Let me try again. I must have pasted my Panama ACC secret code instead!!!

Minox monocular with compass. I think I am getting one except it is very pricey where we are. Or one alike.

barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:10   #32

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

Hellosailor mentioned it, but I would be very leery of cheap, Chinese-made optics. If that is what your budget can tolerate, fine, but you will get what you pay for. And with integrated electronics for an item to use near salt-water, I see that as an $84 paperweight very shortly. That Minox looks like a much smarter alternative.

Buy once, cry once. Or buy cheap, and buy again, and again...

tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 18:59   #33

Hint: A heck of a lot of the 'expensive glass and coatings' today, are 'cheap Chinese junk'.

Not much changes, extremely expensive Swarovski glass used to be (still is?) 'cheap rubbish' (superb quality) Eastern European Meopta glass (you could buy the real thing for less than 20% of the stuff with a Swarovski badge on it, before prices shot up).

Anyway, as i now have a boat to deliver to, I ended up with a Celestron Oceana 8x42 Monocular. Lenses, prisms (Bak 4), and coatings, are fine, no batteries needed for the compass or range/size finder. A steal for $69.99 imho.

Fully Multi-Coated for maximum resolution and high contrast views.
Waterproof and Fog proof for protection in wet conditions & Rubber covered for protection.
Close Focus - 42.6 ft (13 m)
Compass built-in for direction location.
Reticle built-in for determining distance.

I popped back in because I promised an update.

Fair winds all.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 14:23   #34

Boat: Still Searching for Her

I like monocles and used mine many times, usually having it in the pocket of my foul weather coat or sailing jacket. I also used several small binoculars too, which I used only during the day.

I found the smaller (about the size of a short thick sausage or 1 inch X 4 inches) monocular 8 x 21 comparable to the small binoculars 8 x25 for LACK OF ease of use, but the key difference can be the Field of View (FOV). A narrow field of view, small exit pupil and low eye relief can make these smallest optics difficult to use when trying to locate a distant object or follow a small moving object while you are on a moving boat, and if you wear glasses.

The smallest size monoculars (e.g 8 X 21) are most comfortable for having in a pocket because of their minimal size and weight, but they are smaller than optimum for viewing though, and generally have a much narrower field of view and smaller objective lens, so not as bright. They would NOT be good to use during low light conditions or at night, as they don't transmit enough light.

At the other end, a typical "spotting scope" will be too large, unwieldy, and too high magnification, and probably not waterproof and without a built in compass.

I also used small 8 x 21 or 25 binoculars (Nikon and others) too. I used them, but would not recommend them, because there is something better that does not cost much more.

Since the OP is only using one eye, the monocular is ideal, being less expensive and lighter and smaller than a comparable binocular.

For boating, this is the one I would and will get:

I like this one compared to many others after looking at all specs, features (waterproof, compass, etc.), BAK4 glass type, accessories (it comes with a hand strap and attached lens cover), good customer reviews, lifetime warranty, and a competitive price,

But, as with any optics, it is a good idea to put them in your hand and up to your eye(s) and then look through them at something distant and if you wear glasses, with your glasses on too. . You might not find this item small enough or expensive enough etc. but, based on the published specs and features and intended use on a boat, this is what I would get.

Good luck on your choice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	125495  

Ahoy All Sailors! I love traditional sailboats of all kinds (e.g. gaff rigged, schooners, cutters, smacks, woodies, etc.). See my CF Profile "About Me" page for details.
Steady Hand is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: