Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2018, 20:31   #61

Boat: Pearson 34
Re: No survey needed?.... buy "as is where is"?

For our liveaboard cruiser, we had an expensive survey (airfare, etc.) plus a separate engine survey. $$$. But when we downsized to our 1984 Pearson 34, we only had the engine survey and made out our own list of problem areas as negotiating points. This is our fifth boat purchase, so we think we know what to look for.
RSB
RSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 21:43   #62

Boat: Tartan 3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrailleur View Post
Thanks.... Would Boat US need a surveyor report for a $15,000 1985 boat with only a $300,000 liability to satisfy the marina requirements??
For sure no survey is needed for liability. FYI when I called Boat US for the 300k liability I fou d the 1MM policy was same price.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:03   #63

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I am hoping if there were actually Con's out there people would state them plainly.

In this case there is very little information on them full stop, but all of what I've found so far is good,

except for Anne's comment there about a possible engine design issue, but she was not sure even which model it was.

In this case, I can only assume your answer is intended to convey that you don't know about the boat.

Or are people just trying to avoid hurting the feelings of their owners? Maybe ask over at sailing anarchy?

Your advice about a Laser is duly noted, thanks.
The Bristol 26 is an old boat with a fin keel and spade rudder. It just doesn't have any outstanding attributes but is useable

Btw, where were you planning to sail your boat.

If ICW almost anything would work

On the beach cats, we had several races that were to Islands 12 and 15 miles offshore in the Gulf off Mississippi (I only pitchpoled a couple times and that was with the spinnaker flying plus one broken carbon fiber mast)

Seriously though, you can get something quite inexpensive and fix what needs to be fixed while you sail but trailering long distance just to get to the coast will cost you.

Or having a boat on the coast when you live 100's of miles away doesn't seem to work for most which is why I mentioned the smaller boats.

I learned sailing on Arkabutla Lake (and Sardis Lake) in Mississippi (I learned boating here) which is about 400 miles from the coast

It's a TVA lake where the wind is quite light, but you can go there when a front is near and it would be blowing......hard. I lived about 45 miles away and kept the boat, a Hobie 16, on a trailer with the mast up at the lake. It took 10 minutes or so to get it in the water and ready

They also raced Lightnings and Thistles there which was sort of fun to watch and they'd sometimes give the beach cats a start ……..and allow us to race their course
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bristol 26.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	173353  
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 04:50   #64

Two nice (local) Catalina 27's at reasonable prices.

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/d...638692706.html

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/d...633163248.html
Old 10-07-2018, 05:27   #65

Just one point of interest. Here in Florida, you can't "walk away" from a sailboat. Too many abandoned boats here in the Sunshine State, either from over eager dreamers or the years of storms we've experienced. Additionally, if you do buy one in the water and she leaks or God forbid, sinks. The cleanup will destroy you financially. Even the disposal of the hulk is very costly.

Personally, I'd spend the money on a good surveyor so I had a baseline and knew how deep the hole was going to get before I jumped in.
TSeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 05:44   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSeck View Post
Just one point of interest. Here in Florida, you can't "walk away" from a sailboat. Too many abandoned boats here in the Sunshine State, either from over eager dreamers or the years of storms we've experienced. Additionally, if you do buy one in the water and she leaks or God forbid, sinks. The cleanup will destroy you financially. Even the disposal of the hulk is very costly.

Personally, I'd spend the money on a good surveyor so I had a baseline and knew how deep the hole was going to get before I jumped in.
I'm thinking by saying "walk away" from they meant take a loss as in selling the boat for much less than the purchase price or give it away

Getting a survey is probably good if you know nothing about boats but if the surveyor misses something it's still on the buyer …….
Old 10-07-2018, 06:53   #67
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
The Bristol 26 is an old boat with a fin keel and spade rudder.
Aha, thanks, I'll cross it off my list.

Ideally only going to buy one liveaboard boat, maybe won't cross many oceans but want one that can be upfitted for it, very seaworthy: structural integrity, *designed for* survivability in eventual/occasional blue water passage making, best possible safety for its occupants when the sea gets rough. Also safety around reefs (yes I know these will limit speed upwind).

If I don't snag a miracle bargain in the meantime, I'll be buying in 3-5 years. Top candidates (under 8.5' beam) so far include

Bristol 27
Columbia
Cape Dory*25D, 27
Westerly Centaur
Nor'sea 27

I won't be able to make use of a little "in the meantime" trailer sailor until some family obligations change.

Rather than further derailing this thread, any OT responses would be appreciated here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-193354.html
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:45   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Aha, thanks, I'll cross it off my list.

Ideally only going to buy one liveaboard boat, maybe won't cross many oceans but want one that can be upfitted for it, very seaworthy: structural integrity, *designed for* survivability in eventual/occasional blue water passage making, best possible safety for its occupants when the sea gets rough. Also safety around reefs (yes I know these will limit speed upwind).

If I don't snag a miracle bargain in the meantime, I'll be buying in 3-5 years. Top candidates (under 8.5' beam) so far include

Bristol 27
Columbia
Cape Dory*25D, 27
Westerly Centaur
Nor'sea 27

I won't be able to make use of a little "in the meantime" trailer sailor until some family obligations change.

Rather than further derailing this thread, any OT responses would be appreciated here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-193354.html
Well, maybe you shouldn't cross it off entirely.

I can't find the whole story but some guy sailed a Bristol 22 from Port Townsend, Washington to New Zealand and back a few years ago and the 22 appears to be the little sister of the Bristol 26 with longish fin keel and spade rudder

I saw a photo once and the whole cabin of the 22 was full of supplies with a tiny spot to sleep/sit

Notable voyages and sailors
Bill Wolfram, born 1950, sailed a Bristol 22, We-Tu, from Port Townsend, Washington, to Australia and back, around 2002-2004.[1]

BRISTOL 22 CARAVEL sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Cape Dory 22: https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/d...630389544.html
Old 10-07-2018, 08:11   #69

With good knowledge you can certainly do your own survey. While I like to use surveyors on my bigger boats, there really is little they add that I dont already know. Often they cover a lot of obvious stuff.. like "that hose isnt double clamped" or "the fire extinguishers are out of date". Two lookers is good though. Take a knowledgeable friend?
You want to know important stuff:
-Bottom blisters, cracks or evidence of grounding.
-tank condition (surveyors dont usually add any info on this)
-sail condition (surveyors dont usually add much info on this other than a general comment)
-engine condition (surveyors dont usually add any info on this that isn't obvious)
-rigging (surveyors dont usually add any info on this other than a general comment)
-Deck core issues (the biggest thing a surveyor can do for you)
-cutlass bearing condition
-rudder core wet? (surveyors may not have any info on this or they might)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:27   #70

To illuminate what Cheechako said: My last survey sez: "Genoa and Main sighted"

Well, whoopdedoo - what exactly did you see when you "sighted" the sails?

Another gem: "Nut missing on one keel bolt"

Again: Blimey - you don't say! You don't think I saw that already?

The ONLY purpose for a survey on a cheapie boat being bought by a sailor with his wits about him is to satisfy the Insurers' bureaucratic "CYA" requirement for one before they issue Hull Insurance. If you don't want Hull Coverage, you can probably get Liability Insurance on its own as a rider on your existing coverages.

"CYA" doesn't stand for "Canadian Yachting Association" in this context ;-)!

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 13:48   #71

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
To illuminate what Cheechako said: My last survey sez: "Genoa and Main sighted"

Well, whoopdedoo - what exactly did you see when you "sighted" the sails?

Another gem: "Nut missing on one keel bolt"

Again: Blimey - you don't say! You don't think I saw that already?

The ONLY purpose for a survey on a cheapie boat being bought by a sailor with his wits about him is to satisfy the Insurers' bureaucratic "CYA" requirement for one before they issue Hull Insurance. If you don't want Hull Coverage, you can probably get Liability Insurance on its own as a rider on your existing coverages. TP
Too funny. And so very true. (I know that surveyor or maybe he has a twin brother?)
SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:48   #72

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I heard that the tri got damaged again in port Townsend .
That boat loves docks and high winds.

I just spoke with the new owner and the boat has not been damaged since he's owned it. He broke his leg so it hasn't been used much.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:11   #73

Talk to your car insurance company about insuring your "pleasure craft" cheap, and no survey etc. Many offer boat insurance at good rates.
One thing I discovered in the 80's when I sailed down the west coast. My insurance from my car company covered me out 75 miles from the coast! So I was covered all the way.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:12   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I just spoke with the new owner and the boat has not been damaged since he's owned it. He broke his leg so it hasn't been used much.
good to hear the beast is fine not so good about the owner.
Probably just some of the usual paint swapping . No big deal.
Thanks for the update.

He can't use it perhaps we should steal it for a day.
Old 13-07-2018, 07:39   #75

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

Talk to the local boat yard they can tell you who the best Surveyors are . Pre look yourself
If cash or you want no insurance than a pro is not necessary would be to me. Top notch surveyor. look at the boat on land Splash the boat go motor and sail ! you will get a complete report while on land hire a rigger to climb and tell you how the mast attachments are.. Yes i know BOTH and with the yard bill one thousand dollars. But if one thousand saves you a 30 k est mistake . Boats are costly enough with out correcting old missed areas that now need money and attention. when you could be SAILING !
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
survey