Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2015, 08:40   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: No Rail Meat for Cruisers (and other "stuff")

A lot of people buy boats for cruising based on their racing ratings and performance. Unfortunately, for a lot of boats, that racing potential is only met if they have 7 of the 8 crew members on the rail as shiftable ballast. A short handed cruiser won't have that ballast to move around and will have to live with the boats inherent stability which may not be all that great. This is especially true for the lighter is faster crowd.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 09:03   #17

When sailing in Montana [while taking a break from herding cattle on the ranch, or hunting deer or elk], we like to stock our rails with meat so as to allow it to age properly in preparation of a large and hungry gathering at our favorite anchorage. Just be sure to place them on the windward side so as to keep them from dragging in the water.

Never had any adverse issues with meat placed on the rail. Doubly useful when used as fenders when rafting up.

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 09:10   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
Not sure why you would attack people who know how to sail better than you do... the size of your sails shouldn't dictate whether you keep a lookout or not... and weight distribution is important for trim on most vessels... but the bigger/heavier you get it's less of an impact.
Lighten up! His post I feel sure was in jest.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 11:34   #19

You have all touched on my slightly paranoid side. I always have space under the head sail so I can see under from the cockpit. If I hit another boat I want it to be intentional. If another boat hits me, I want to be sure theirs is nicer improving the chances that they are well insured. As for racers....I used to race formula cars.....after that the difference between a good cruising cat and a Jxx is rounding error
rbrentp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 12:40   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Out sailing the other day and noticed all the boats with crew sitting on the rails. This leads me to the following thought; cruising boats don't need rail meat! I don't plan ever have enough people on my boat that add up to enough weight to made a difference by putting it on the rail. In fact I'm sure if I did all that weight would have been best left on shore.

Also after watching a J-Boat and some 42' cruiser have a collision leaving a nice hole in the bow of the cruiser I have another thought: cruisers shouldn't have head sails so big that the foot is on or lower than the deck so they can not see what's' ahead, or have a head sail so big that it needs clear "windows" in it!

Bet others can come up with some other silly racer things cruisers shouldn't have.
Obviously you have it wrong. You need a cruising boat with a bunch of scantly clad young ladies on the rail. Stable boat and racing how gives a damn?
Old 22-06-2015, 12:58   #21
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Obviously you have it wrong. You need a cruising boat with a bunch of scantly clad young ladies on the rail.
Can't afford the boat required to get that crew, or even just the crew!
Old 22-06-2015, 13:00   #22
CLOD

Quote:
LOL I deserve that, wasn't paying attention, wouldn't have made the hunter comment had I noticed you owned one.
so only NOT an a.... if someone is watching
Old 22-06-2015, 13:03   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Can't afford the boat required to get that crew, or even just the crew!
I'd just have to remember what to do with the crew? Nice dream anyway.
Old 22-06-2015, 17:00   #24

Hey Sailorboy:

Hunters make elegant and functional boats.

Racers are rarely so well equipped.

An example of a pedal assist tender which is great for maneuvering in a tight marina.

Below is an example of a seaworthy balancing of meat on the rails:

Perhaps the ultimate Hunter Yacht:

Note that the mast and sails have apparently been lowered and stowed away so as to not get damaged by buckshot.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 18:05   #25

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Not sure why you would attack people who know how to sail better than you do... the size of your sails shouldn't dictate whether you keep a lookout or not... and weight distribution is important for trim on most vessels... but the bigger/heavier you get it's less of an impact.

Doesn't it bother you hanging out on a cruiser's forum full of people who know less about sailing than you do. Sheeeesh ! It would drive me crazy.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 00:44   #26

Boat: Adams 35ft, round bilge steel, SV Saaremaa

My goodness Montanan that is a lovely paint job on the ultimate Hunter yacht. I may have to redo my topsides in that fetching finish. There is nothing like a bit of hull envy.
Alas the pedal assisted tender is of no use to me because I am gun shy.
Michael
Old 24-06-2015, 18:41   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by micknor51 View Post
My goodness Montanan that is a lovely paint job on the ultimate Hunter yacht. I may have to redo my topsides in that fetching finish. There is nothing like a bit of hull envy.
Alas the pedal assisted tender is of no use to me because I am gun shy.
Michael
Not sure Awl-Grip comes in glossy camouflage. Does it look like that in the can? like striped toothpaste?

Our first day out on our new to us 36 ton Camper & Nicholson, I rolled out the jib in 5 knots of wind. Our guest crew/friends instantly shouted, " to the rail". This is the first boat I have ever sailed that doesn't even budge at the dock as you walk around deck.

I raced for 18 years on a Heritage One-Ton. We were all rail meat & it made a big difference. It was fun but I'm over it.

Our Jibs are all high cut Yankee with the tack about 3 feet above the deck. Good for visibility and water runs under the sail if we take a big wave. Less stress on the sail too if its not a deck sweeper as the geometry is more symmetrical about the clew and centered on the luff. Leech tension is way less.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MUSKEGON CHANNEL 3 CROPPED.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	407.4 KB
ID:	104179   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3652.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	374.6 KB
ID:	104180  

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 18:58   #28

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

RAIL MEAT? I envision a brace of sea lions on the windward rail pushing and shoving and hollering. Not to mention some of their other more basic functions. The hapless skipper dashing about in a useless frenzy trying to get them to move. Kaboom! Its a crash! My god we've hit a cruising sailboat, tangled rigging, broken rails and stantions...angry Sea Lions bellowing, wallowing about like drunken racers....but I digress. RAIL MEAT?????
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 19:47   #29

Quote:
Below is an example of a seaworthy balancing of meat on the rails:

A very strange story:

Earlier this year, the dazed crew of a Japanese trawler were plucked of the Sea of Japan clinging to the wreckage of their sunken ship. Their rescue, however, was followed by immediate imprisonment once authorities questioned the sailors on their ship's loss. To a man they claimed that a cow, falling out of a clear blue sky, had struck the trawler amidships, shattering its hull and sinking the vessel within minutes.

They remained in prison for several weeks, until the Russian Air Force reluctantly informed Japanese authorities that the crew of one of its cargo planes had apparently stolen a cow wandering at the edge of a Siberian airfield, forced the cow into the plane's hold and hastily taken off for home. Unprepared for live cargo, the Russian crew was ill-equipped to manage a now rampaging cow within its hold. To save the aircraft and themselves, they shoved the animal out of the cargo hold as they crossed the Sea of Japan at an altitude of 30,000 feet.

This pic reminded me of this story....one Ive heard for YEARS!...alas, not true according to snopes...always thought it hilarious however.
Old 25-06-2015, 06:52   #30
CLOD

Guess had no buffalo wings

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
cruise, cruiser