Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2016, 11:01   #16

Boat: GibSea 472
Re: No Name Harbor and Bimini Crossing

Droping anchor just outside of No Name Harbor is a perfect solution. I spent many years ago 2 days there waiting for the end of a terrible norther(60 knts winds!) Very safe(Good holding, well protected by the dike of the Harbor and in fact a good harbor of refuge if already in the Bimini Islands and a big norther storm is on its way... As long as you have the time to come across before the arrival of the norther. Also keep in mind that the month of January, is very prone to huge northers, so watching for the weather is a good idea.
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 13:59   #17

Location: Wherever the boat lies, USA coasts, Keys, Bahamas & Islands
Boat: Island Spirit 40' Cat

There's Miami Stadium too and sail out of Governor's Cut
Old 26-12-2016, 15:10   #18

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
I suspect you'll find a few boats "heading for Bahamas Wednesday after the weather breaks.."

Indeed, the forecast looks promising for Wednesday/Thursday, but then the door slams shut on Friday. Wind direction is not ideal, but otherwise it looks ok.

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 16:16   #19

Boat: Shannon 38

I would second the recommendation for Nixon's harbor around the corner. We have come back from the Bahamas at night and found the boats anchored outside of No Name to be very hard to see against the backlight of Miami; passed close to their sterns on the "official channel" and had one or two that we didn't see until we were pretty close. The time we were without engine close-hauled and limited in navigation, that was not welcome. If you do anchor there rather than inside No Name, please light yourself up like a Christmas tree. I can't stress how hard it is to see a single boat anchor light against the skyline of Miami.
Virginia Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 16:41   #20

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia Lee View Post
I would second the recommendation for Nixon's harbor around the corner. We have come back from the Bahamas at night and found the boats anchored outside of No Name to be very hard to see against the backlight of Miami; passed close to their sterns on the "official channel" and had one or two that we didn't see until we were pretty close. The time we were without engine close-hauled and limited in navigation, that was not welcome. If you do anchor there rather than inside No Name, please light yourself up like a Christmas tree. I can't stress how hard it is to see a single boat anchor light against the skyline of Miami.

Also you get badly waked by all the sportfish tearing by.
Old 27-12-2016, 06:59   #21

Boat: Sigma 41

As a 38 year resident of Key Biscayne and my boat at key Biscayne yacht Club, I would recommend anchoring off of Nixon's old heli pad. Good mud/sand bottom. No problem here with boat traffic. Great protection from east/southeast/northeast wind. Also if wind comes from west/northwest, go in the channel behind and just south of Nixon's to a super protected bay with homes all around. No shore access though. Good luck on your crossing!
dneve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2016, 07:27   #22

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneve View Post
. Also if wind comes from west/northwest, go in the channel behind and just south of Nixon's to a super protected bay with homes all around. No shore access though. Good luck on your crossing!
Jeez, now Hurricane Hole will get crowded like No Name.
Old 29-12-2016, 10:50   #23

Boat: Catalina 470

Anchored just outside No Name on Tuesday, followed by a nice smooth and quick crossing to Bimini. Relaxing with rum drinks now ;-). Thanks for all the advice!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini