Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2016, 16:58   #1

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien - 35ft
Send a message via Skype™ to cyclepro
No insurance, no survey - no survey, no insurance

My sailboat is for sale in Fort Lauderdale and I am running into challenges with regards to a survey for a prospective buyer. For the past 6 years I have been "self-insured" - I have been cruising in Central America.

Every Fort Lauderdale yard I contact for an out-of-the-water survey needs to see a certificate for both liability and hull insurance.

I contacted a couple of insurance companies but none of them is willing to write a short-term policy; plus, they want to have the boat surveyed before coverage can take place.

Is there anybody on this forum that can give me a solution or some solid advice?
cyclepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 17:28   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: No insurance, no survey - no survey, no insurance

Take it north to Green Cove Springs. They don't pull that crap and in case it takes a while to sell, their storage rates are low.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 17:36   #3

X2 on green cove springs. Or Ortega river at Jacksonville. Sadler point Marina is very reasonable for survey hauls, and is next door to Ortega River Marina which is an awesome (and very affordable) marina.
Old 03-06-2016, 17:38   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclepro View Post
My sailboat is for sale in Fort Lauderdale and I am running into challenges with regards to a survey for a prospective buyer. For the past 6 years I have been "self-insured" - I have been cruising in Central America.

Every Fort Lauderdale yard I contact for an out-of-the-water survey needs to see a certificate for both liability and hull insurance.

I contacted a couple of insurance companies but none of them is willing to write a short-term policy; plus, they want to have the boat surveyed before coverage can take place.

Is there anybody on this forum that can give me a solution or some solid advice?
Go to Boat US and get Liability only. Thats all any yard or marina Ive bben to asks for. The cancel it after sale goes thru.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 18:47   #5

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34

I would never berth in a marina that didn't demand that all boats have liability coverage. Especially since my dock mate crashed into me the first week I was in the water and caused $7000 in damage.

There's no such thing as "self insurance." Your're either insured or not. Do you think you could cover a $1 million personal injury judgement?

Shrimp
cshrimpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 19:41   #6

He was in Central America , not in sue happy USA
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 19:41   #7

Boat: Maxim, Voyage 380

Keep searching, someone will wright you without a survey. Check progressive.
Adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 19:59   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshrimpt View Post
I would never berth in a marina that didn't demand that all boats have liability coverage. Especially since my dock mate crashed into me the first week I was in the water and caused $7000 in damage.

There's no such thing as "self insurance." Your're either insured or not. Do you think you could cover a $1 million personal injury judgement?

Shrimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
He was in Central America , not in sue happy USA
Exactly...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 20:01   #9

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclepro View Post

I have been in similar situations in another area of my life where I needed insurance on a short time period. You get a quote, see if they do a monthly installment arrangement and after a month, cancel.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 21:06   #10
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshrimpt View Post

Shrimp
There is a world of difference between uninsured and self-insured. Self-insured is when you have listed assets meeting an acceptable liability minimum. It seems more probable we are talking uninsured, but the OP can correct us.

I'm not saying which is right, but we should use accurate language. I believe the OP was uninsured.
Old 03-06-2016, 21:28   #11

Boat: In Between Boats

Insurance is a great example of "how did we get here" and points out the "rigged" system that we just blindly accept.

If you have something to protect, you should pay to insure it against yourself and others. Pretty simple. Instead, we have a system where everyone is taxed to protect the possessions of someone else. How thoughtful and profitable.

It's just another wealth transfer tax.
Hearts Content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:42   #12

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearts Content View Post
Insurance is a great example of "how did we get here" and points out the "rigged" system that we just blindly accept.

If you have something to protect, you should pay to insure it against yourself and others. Pretty simple. Instead, we have a system where everyone is taxed to protect the possessions of someone else. How thoughtful and profitable.

Since liability insurance for boats is not generally mandated by law, you would need to purchase uninsured boater insurance to protect yourself from the negligence of others who have decided not carry liability insurance.

Uninsured boater insurance in adequate amounts is very expensive, much more than straight liability. This amounts to a cost transfer from the negligent party to the injured party.

That doesn't seem very fair to me.

Shrimp
cshrimpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:13   #13
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hearts Content View Post

You make no sense.

Does a poor person have less liability (less potential to do harm)? Of course not, an accident causes the same damage (unless the vehicle/boat is larger, in which case the rates are higher).

Insurance actually presents the best value for folks in the middle; a truly wealthy person can probably take the hit, a poor person can walk away, where as the person in the middle has his life ruined. Most of us are in the middle and don't want our lives ruined by our mistake... or someone else's.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:37   #14

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Nothing like paying for someone else attorney, to prevent you from getting the security you paid for.

Still surrounded by anchors.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 06:41   #15

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

"The poor person can just walk away"

Hmmm...how so? How does being poor make devistating loss of personal property easier than for someone of the middle class?
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, survey