Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 07:33   #46

Boat: 1977 S2 8.0
You cannot run away from reality and the difficulties of life are a reality
Old 02-08-2011, 07:52   #47

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: No Experience, but Need to Make a Voyage - Advice Requested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori View Post
You cannot run away from reality and the difficulties of life are a reality
True, but there is no reason to stay in a situation that is depressing and grating on your own moral or ethical standards.
- - There are numerous options available to move to a less objectionable environment. Too many people simply will not take the trouble to move and instead "endure" and live a miserable life by remaining in their present situation.
- - But before you "vote with your feet" it is wise to do some in depth research on prospective new areas so you don't end up in a worse situation.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:09   #48
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.Freeman View Post
It's not about money. Flying is not feasible, unless you know somewhere that is accessible by land in Can-Amerexico where TSAs (or the local equivalent) will not subject children and adults to degrading, immoral and scandalous naked body scanners, harmful radiation and potentially traumatic and definitely sinful arbitrary groping.

If you know of such an airport, by all means tell, tell, tell!
Yikes!!! Do they really do all that in America? That sounds atrocious! In Europe, the scanners show a 'dummy' body; the 'harmful' radiation is really quite minimal (nowhere near x-ray level - if your kids break a bone would you allow a diagnostic x-ray?); and the traumatic and sinful groping only happens to those who arouse suspicion.... and NO-ONE I know ever has (in a country where nearly EVERYONE flies)!

Are you a suspicious bunch, then? And are they your own children?
Old 02-08-2011, 08:17   #49

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

This OP sounds more and more like a troll. I Don't like the stock answers of "You're gonna die if you do that." But in this case it is not just the OP that is in danger. A solo round the world in a 9' dink would be safer than what he wants to do.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:20   #50

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Yikes!!!. . . Are you a suspicious bunch, then? And are they your own children?
I think that last question might just scare the fellow off. This thread has a lot of good thoughts for him to consider not only for his own welfare but those of the children.
- - One of the primary motivations of long term cruisers is to also extricate themselves and loved ones from what they consider the lunacy of the USA social environment. But it is done with a sober realization that long term cruising and the socio-economic environments in other countries that will be visited is significantly different from what has been the "norm" before setting sail. And the hazards and requirements for living full or long term on a sailing vessel outside your home country is not just like changing models of cars. It is a whole new environment that can kill you if you don't take it seriously.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:26   #51

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I knew this thread should come with a loony alert.

Ditto. Anyone who thinks that what they'd go through with the TSA getting on a plane is that extreme is in for a rude awakening when they start fooling around in third world s***holes where they never heard of human rights or dignity, no matter how they travel.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:28   #52

Boat: 1977 S2 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail

True, but there is no reason to stay in a situation that is depressing and grating on your own moral or ethical standards.
- - There are numerous options available to move to a less objectionable environment. Too many people simply will not take the trouble to move and instead "endure" and live a miserable life by remaining in their present situation.
- - But before you "vote with your feet" it is wise to do some in depth research on prospective new areas so you don't end up in a worse situation.
I agree which is why I live on a boat and gave up alot of the ties and material things people in the states consider to be required for happiness.

Too many people rely on others for their happiness when true happiness comes from within. If you don't like your life or are unhappy then change it and don't complain about it. Too many people wish things were different but are afraid to change.

That being said running away to another country with children too young to understand the decision is not a realistic solution there are many more viable options out there.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:28   #53

Besides, you can escape most of what the OP wants to escape from just by going "off the grid" right here in the US. You don't like the airport security, don't fly. But you don't have to leave the US to dissapear.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:33   #54
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
I think that last question might just scare the fellow off. This thread has a lot of good thoughts for him to consider not only for his own welfare but those of the children.
Very true, and I apologise to OP. If he is indeed serious about this, then you are quite right, Osirissail, he should glean as much knowledge and advice as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
- - One of the primary motivations of long term cruisers is to also extricate themselves and loved ones from what they consider the lunacy of the USA social environment. But it is done with a sober realization that long term cruising and the socio-economic environments in other countries that will be visited is significantly different from what has been the "norm" before setting sail. And the hazards and requirements for living full or long term on a sailing vessel outside your home country is not just like changing models of cars. It is a whole new environment that can kill you if you don't take it seriously.
But the OP should also balance his desire to escape 'civilisation' with safety concerns. He would not be allowed, by law (for good reason), to take off with his kids in a campervan (RV) with no automobile training; and nor should he do so in a sailing boat. I have never forgotten the story of an English family who did so a few decades ago, and sailed straight into the jaws of death in the Bay of Biscay.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:20   #55

Quote:
In Europe, the scanners show a 'dummy' body
Nice "silvery" body? That's no dummy, that's you.

I don't care about it, I have to either do that or get the full body search since I have a titanium knee. The guy looking at the picture in the little room just gets envious anyway. Had one woman TSA say "HI" later.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:23   #56
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
Nice "silvery" body? That's no dummy, that's you.

I don't care about it, I have to either do that or get the full body search since I have a titanium knee. The guy looking at the picture in the little room just gets envious anyway. Had one woman TSA say "HI" later.
Interesting, me too. The titanium knee, that is. Plus I had titanium plates and wires in my shoulders for several years, and they've never been interested in any of it.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:29   #57

Quote:
Interesting, me too. The titanium knee, that is. Plus I had titanium plates and wires in my shoulders for several years, and they've never been interested in any of it.
Sets off the metal detector.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:29   #58

Boat: Endeavour 37

IMHO whenever a captain takes children onboard his/her vessel he/she becomes their parent. Their safety is solely his/her responsibility. This includes the decision to leave port. The law assumes the same. If you were to attempt such a trip or even a considerably shorter one, on a vessel of questionable seaworthiness and without the necessary experience and one of the children died as a result, you could be held criminally liable. It's called reckless manslaughter.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:01   #59

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

Maybe the destination is Madagascar because of the movie, with the cute lemurs and the happy lion, zebra, giraffe, and hippo. But wait! See Part II - they aren't there any more, couldn't take it, they all tried to flee back to New York but got stuck in mainland Africa! Even the penguins! Oh no!

Michael
Old 02-08-2011, 10:53   #60
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

Running away and looking for a better life outside is not going to bring you peace and happiness, this can only come from within.
This makes me think of one day when I was walking down Telegraph Ave. in Berkeley. I was just behind a devotee of Krishna when he was aggressively panhandled by an obviously inebriated fellow. "Got any change, buddy?" said the panhandler. The Krishna looked him in the eye with a chilly expression, and without hesitation said to him, "Change comes from within, my brother." I'm still laughing. I tried to pull it off myself a couple of times, but somehow it just doesn't go over the same coming from me...
Closed Thread