Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2005, 02:44   #1

Nissan/Tohatsu 4 stroke Outboard?

I am interested in upgrading from a 5 hp to a 10 hp outboard for our 10' inflatable floor dink. 5 hp doesn't quite make it plane.

I was interested in a 9.9 yamaha two-stroke as the best choice of weight vs power. I also hear they are best for parts and service in the Caribbean.

But, I do like the way our current 4-stroke runs, smooth and quite. And I certainly don't mind not mixing gas.

I see that Nissan/Tohatsu now makes a 9.8 hp 4-stroke that weighs about the same as a two-stroke. Does anybody out there have any experience with these choices?

Thanks, Woody
exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 10:59   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
I dont know that particular engine, but most of the smaller engines are made by tohatsu and then re-badged by other companies such as Mariner and Mercury for more money than the tohatsu version.

I have a 3.5 hp and have been very happy with it. It wont plane, driving a 2.6m Zodiac Fast roller (inflatable keel/deck), but will push it at a good 6kts with 2 of us in it.
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 12:03   #3
cruiser

Tohatsu

I have a 5HP Tohatsu I have used with a hard shell rowing tender since 1999. It has worked flawlessly, and just barely planes with 1 person. It starts on the first pull, and all I did to it each season was change the plug and re-grease the lower unit.

It wasn't in your choices, but I used to have an 80's vintange Johnson 9.9 that failed on several occasions each summer. Once, it left me to drift out a river into 14' seas in a 21' day sailing boat. I made it to a different port, but was pretty unhappy with the engine.

Have not used the Yamaha, but have had good luck with much larger Honda brand 4-strokes. They are also very common in the Caribbean, which is where I used them.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 12:22   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
interesting article

Outboards for dinghies” ~ by Greg Jones(from Offshore Navigator)
http://www.bwsailing.com/01articles/...techreport.htm

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 00:50   #5

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
59 lbs for the Tohatsu 9.8 HP 2 cycle is a lot less than 81lb (without engine oil) for the 4 cycle version is still a significant weight difference. The Yamaha is even heavier.

A lot of cruisers are buying up the available 2 cycles because many models are just not available in the 6 to 9.9 HP range and will not be available next year at all.

I keep reading comments that 4 cycle outboards are more reliable than are the 2 cycles yet can anyone actually provide a factual source for such a claim? Some marketers have made such claims at a time when they could garner greater profits selling 4 cycles over the existing 2 cycles and, therefore, their claims are at least suspect.

Two cycle engines have fewer moving parts than 4 cycle engines. Engines with fewer moving parts have better failure rates. In addition, an outboard oil tank has a greater chance for getting salt water inside than inboard engines do (for whatever reason).

All things being equal one would prefer to opt for a 4 cycle engine yet weight, cost, maintanence, and reliability are non-equal factors to consider.

Regards,
Rick
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 02:53   #6

I don't see any specs for a Tohatsu 9.8 (or 9.9) two stroke. Is this an older model?
exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 03:14   #7

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"
Tohatsu 9.8 2 cycle

Yep, the only ones you can get this year are what might be left in someone's inventory. I notice that online you have to be a little diligent to find the specs because the usual dealers are only selling the 9.8 4 cycles.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2005, 17:15   #8

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
Nissan

We had the the Nissan/Tohatsu 5 hp 4 cyl. If you reserach on the net you see a good many other manufactures use the Tohutsu power head.

It worked very well for, ran great, few problems, and sipped fuel. We had to buy a larger engine in Venezuela where 4 cyl are twice as xpensive as the US.

One recommendation is get the Dolfins for 30$. It helped me plane our 9.4 hard dinghy when I was in it by my self. It also improves overall forward motion.

When we return to the US we will get another 4 cyl. The fuel savings is worth the money.
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4 stroke, nissan, outboard