Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2015, 16:37   #1

Boat: Contest 46
Newlyweds buy a boat sight unseen and go cruising in the Caribbean: A Video Journal

Hey guys,
A couple of months ago I posted my five part Extremely Subjective Guide to Buying a Boat in the Caribbean and got a great response from you guys. Only a few people called me an idiot for buying her sight unseen, and fair enough. I thought some of you might be curious to see how things are progressing now that my wife, Cat, and I have quit our jobs, sold our stuff, finally arrived in the BVI, laid eyes on the boat, started fixing things, and taken off on our first week of cruising.

We spent about two weeks on the hard and in the marina working on the most necessary projects before finally saying "good enough" and untying the lines for a week at anchor at Peter, Norman, Cooper, and Virgin Gorda. We came back for a quick overnight at Nanny Cay Marina to provision and get more parts from Budget Marine and we're off to St. John tomorrow.

At some point I'll post a 6th part to the buyers guide about The Reality of buying a boat 3000 miles from home. Until then, hope you guys enjoy our blog and video series about the process:

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/mondaynever

All the best,

Will and Cat
MondayNever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 16:47   #2

Re: Newlyweds buy a boat sight unseen and go cruising in the Caribbean: A Video Journ

A'wright! Yer on yer way! Launch day: yes... suddenly you are IN the water. The boat feels so much better there!
Have fun.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 16:52   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Re: Newlyweds buy a boat sight unseen and go cruising in the Caribbean: A Video Journ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondayNever View Post
Hey guys,

We spent about two weeks on the hard and in the marina working on the most necessary projects before finally saying "good enough" and untying the lines for a week at anchor at Peter, Norman, Cooper, and Virgin Gorda. We came back for a quick overnight at Nanny Cay Marina to provision and get more parts from Budget Marine and we're off to St. John tomorrow.

Blog: Monday Never
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/mondaynever

All the best,

Will and Cat

After only two weeks and you're off cruising? I'd say you are far from idiots. There are a lot of self proclaimed geniuses that will be envious. Good on you both.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 17:10   #4

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Good enough, and go sailing!.! That's how it's done.

My hat's off to you.
Old 29-10-2015, 17:19   #5

Boat: Contest 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
After only two weeks and you're off cruising? I'd say you are far from idiots. There are a lot of self proclaimed geniuses that will be envious. Good on you both.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
We might just have more ...uh... liberal ideas about what is necessary and not necessary to take a boat cruising than more prudent folks.

And to the previous comment about a boat feeling better in the water than on the hard, jesus christ yes. If we hadn't completely cut our ties to life back in the States, I'd have been on a plane flying home after one day in the yard. The boat yard is a toxic waste dump where optimism goes to die.
MondayNever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 20:14   #6

Boat: Don't have one yet.

I enjoyed your videos , nice to see people living the dream.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
David360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 07:55   #7

Love your attitudes. Enjoy your lives... it's a one shot deal.
woodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 09:13   #8

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I love that you're loving it. I was smiling with you just watching the video.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 09:29   #9

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

You make the compromises you have to make to get it done.

There are plenty of horror stories, but the boat sailed there to begin with, and if the owner is honest you rely on their word to get what you think you are buying.

In today's world where pictures are easy, and even our phones can video conference, it's not as risky as it once was.

If I pay a guy to inspect the boat, and he misses something, I probably would have missed it also.

I bought a house blind once because the time to travel there risked losing the house to another buyer.

Yes there where undiscovered problems, but I accepted that when I offered my price. Sometimes in life you just have to go for it.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 10:27   #10

Boat: Catalina 30 TR

"The boat yard is a toxic waste dump where optimism goes to die." that probably needs to be in your tagline somewhere, cracked me up.

I can't wait to retire in a few years and join you. I will get the admiral to watch your videos. We purchased a 1980 Catalina 30 to learn on a lake near us, and I feel your pain about working on it and the expensive little bag of parts. Cap Erict3's tagline "Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat" cracks me up too, and a little envious.

Have fun, drink a beer or twelve for me, and be safe!

Carl
CShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 13:42   #11

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

MondayNever, you are awesome, an inspriration to us all. Your wife is a lucky girl. Most people are full of fear. You are full of life. Live well my friend, live well. Oh yeah, I think you already are.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 13:44   #12

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Had a big smile on my face watching you kids go at it. The one part of the video while you are working on the engine and sweating like crazy....man...heat and humidity.

You guys seem to work well together and take things in stride is a big plus in any relationship. Fair winds to you and hope to see many other videos...
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 15:11   #13

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

I smiled as well...........live the dream
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 18:56   #14

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondayNever View Post
Hey guys,

All the best,

Will and Cat
How did you like Nanny? I haven't been there in about 4 years. We had a pretty good provisioning experience. They bring it to the boat. We were berthed right next to some Brits doing the ARC and their provisioning was quite different from ours. About 9 cases of Heinekens to our big fat zero. We made up for it at the 'off-site' bar. Have fun and keep posting.
TomLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 19:51   #15

Hi Guys, Congratulations on the start of your new adventure. I look forward to watching your posts on youtube and the forum. Have the best time ever.
P.S I'm not jealous, I'm always this color of green
lilolme55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, cruising, rib