Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-11-2015, 01:33   #31

Boat: Fastback 43 catamaran
Re: Newlyweds buy a boat sight unseen and go cruising in the Caribbean: A Video Journ

Hi just watched your videos, loved the insight ino your adventure, cant wait to see the next chapter. Cheers and beers Dean

Sent from my SM-T315T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 04-11-2015, 11:36   #32

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Newlyweds buy a boat sight unseen and go cruising in the Caribbean: A Video Journ

Quote:
Originally Posted by David360 View Post
I enjoyed your videos , nice to see people living the dream.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Here here! Good for you guys!

Old 04-11-2015, 11:53   #33

Congrats on progress made. We have also learned that less can be more or at least quicker. Just don't try to cheat Posidon too much. He can be tough on the greedy.

Also please don't go begging for money like I see so many young cruisers doing. Earn it baby! It will be that much more enjoyable. Besides it is already hard enough to watch cruising video from those who should be working so I can draw social security in a couple years. Don't add insult to injury by asking me to cover costs...
Old 05-11-2015, 11:44   #34

Boat: CS 36 Merlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyham View Post
Congrats on progress made. We have also learned that less can be more or at least quicker. Just don't try to cheat Posidon too much. He can be tough on the greedy.

Also please don't go begging for money like I see so many young cruisers doing. Earn it baby! It will be that much more enjoyable. Besides it is already hard enough to watch cruising video from those who should be working so I can draw social security in a couple years. Don't add insult to injury by asking me to cover costs...
I am not quite sure how to take this comment. Maybe sarcasm just doesn't always translate well through text. At least I hope the bit about our tax dollars funding your retirement was said tongue in cheek. We worked hard to save money to do this trip and I'll not feel any guilt for taking time away from work just because it doesn't contribute to the SS pool.

As for patreon, crowdfundinh, PayPal links, etc - no. We do not plan to do that. We saved for this trip and pay in cash for everything, so becoming beholden to viewers/readers would take something away for us. However, I will stand on a limb and defend some of the other young (or old) sailors that crowdfund their content. They are providing a service that is not cheap to render and others have decided that is worth something. Enough people escape their office grind by watching Delos videos that they have decided to make sure that the crew can afford to continue providing them that escape. It's a service like any other.

I just don't think it's for us. We're willing to invest in the equipment and the surprisingly large amount of time because it's fun and will be something for our kin to look back on.

End of rant.

To everyone else, thanks again for all the kind words. It means a lot to get such positive feed a about this little tryst.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:10   #35

VERY well said MondayNever!
Old 05-11-2015, 12:31   #36

Boat: Fastback 43 catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boathooked View Post
VERY well said MondayNever!
Where's the "like" button... good on you MondayNever

Sent from my SM-T315T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 05-11-2015, 12:35   #37

Boat: Pearson 365

I am surprised the nay sayers havent came out in full force yet. If you think about it, theres no time like the present to sail away. Once you get a full time job with house mortgage and kids its all over most of the time. Then its wait till the kids are out of college to go, but then your health might be an issue. If you can produce an Entertaining video that gets bunches of people to donate $1 to you every once and a while, that would really add up and maybe make a go of it. What kills me is people who have 30-40 videos already out asking for money and they go nowhere. They sit at the dock and say help us fix our boat up, we are heading around the world. But they havent even made the first cruise. Also there are people who say watch us as we learn to sail and buy a boat and go cruising with no experience at all. It turns into a side show. Lets watch these crazy people crash and burn. Thats entertaining. I can tell Will and Cat has put the homework into this venture and will do fine. There will be problems sure. Looks like Will and Cat have the right frame of mind to do this. I would like to see lots of Maintenance items, daily work, struggles. We all know its very hard and not just a walk in the park.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:38   #38

I watched some of the vids and at 44 took 3 years off to sail... after a 6 yr period of learning how to sail, to cruise and so on. Getting the boat was the best thing that happened to me and I define myself not as an architect... but as a sailor. I still do both bit the work is... work. I enjoy what I do, but there is nothing that compares to sailing. It IS an entire new universe right her on earth. This couple are finding that out. And good for them. Their lives have changed (for the better) and they will never be the same again and never regret it.

Frankly... more people should do this when they are young(ish) and not defer the "dream". But life becomes pretty complicated in the "middle years" and the journey is not practical or possible.

Fair winds and following seas!
Old 05-11-2015, 13:10   #39

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyham View Post

What an offensive comment to make your seriously having a go at 'young people' out sailing instead of 'working' so you can bludge off the social security pool when you retire? so you haven't planned for your own retirement

I suspect your also having a go at not just patreon producers but patreon supporters. In which case your comment reeks of envy.

As a patreon supporter of now six cruisers, I can tell you I haven't been 'begged' to do anything. I find the video's entertaining and more entertaining than a lot of the crap on tv nowadays, hence I'm willing to 'donate' a small amount for the time and effort they have put into their videos. No begging, no expectations of any kind. Just pure enjoyment.
Old 05-11-2015, 13:25   #40

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondayNever View Post
I am not quite sure how to take this comment. Maybe sarcasm just doesn't always translate well through text. At least I hope the bit about our tax dollars funding your retirement was said tongue in cheek. We worked hard to save money to do this trip and I'll not feel any guilt for taking time away from work just because it doesn't contribute to the SS pool.

As for patreon, crowdfundinh, PayPal links, etc - no. We do not plan to do that. We saved for this trip and pay in cash for everything, so becoming beholden to viewers/readers would take something away for us. However, I will stand on a limb and defend some of the other young (or old) sailors that crowdfund their content. They are providing a service that is not cheap to render and others have decided that is worth something. Enough people escape their office grind by watching Delos videos that they have decided to make sure that the crew can afford to continue providing them that escape. It's a service like any other.

I just don't think it's for us. We're willing to invest in the equipment and the surprisingly large amount of time because it's fun and will be something for our kin to look back on.

End of rant.

To everyone else, thanks again for all the kind words. It means a lot to get such positive feed a about this little tryst.
well replied. Very graceful response.

Personally I would have loved to have 'donated' the occasional hard earned dollars of my wages in response for the skill and work that goes into producing a good vid. I prefer that than propping up the multi million dollar wages of Hollywood celebs. As it is I am forced to pay enough of my hard earned dollars to support the bombing of countries I've never visited and funding overseas holidays for politicians that can't possibly live on their $200k + incomes.

Who knows, when I finally retire and go sailing perhaps I might be able to pop up my 'self saved pension' by finding a few people that would pay to watch an old fat bearded guy stumbling around on a steel ketch.
Old 05-11-2015, 13:27   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Pearson P35

MondayNever,
We love it!!! We bought a 1968 Pearson P-35 on eBay without seeing her first and putting our trust in the owners word and his pictures. We got a better than good price on her and when we finally got out east to pick her up WOW!! In far better condition than we expected and with new paint and new electronics and a bit of engine maintenance we are sailing away this coming spring. Nice to hear there are others like us who are willing to take great risk and get an even bigger reward!!!
Cheers!!!
Old 05-11-2015, 13:37   #42

Congratulations guys, best of all you are doing it together, can't tell you how important that is out of everything, anything can be fixed, but finding the right person to love and share the experience like this is well (often over used but appropriate) priceless.
Old 05-11-2015, 18:42   #43

Sorry but I find RBYHAM's comments really offensive and I am just a member of the forum. This couple have asked for nothing and you rail on them with this rant, shame on you. Like some-one else said this reeks of jealousy. If this is how you intend corresponding on this forum perhaps you should stick to watching youtube. I understood that this forum was for information and encouragement.
Old 05-11-2015, 22:09   #44

Social security retirement is not bludged. You work your whole life and pay serious money out of your gross income to store up those benefits. So, it is yours. The interesting thing is that it is all changing within the next generation. It has become increasingly top heavy with all of the post war babies now coming into the system in droves. Formula will change to older you have to be to get it, heavier taxes to maintain the same levels of support, or decreased support levels....or ....or a combination of all or part of the above...it don't take rocket scientist to figure that one out.

Monday Never type of people are a rare species. They are getting off of the carousel and not reaching for the golden ring. They are without child, paid their own way, and expect no handouts to get this life enriching experience in hand before it is too late, and then will return to the workaday life. Actually smarter than most of us who have children at young ages, work our whole lives, and pray for strength and health to try it when we get older. They are taking their shot at it in their own way...and what more can be said? God bless them and fair winds.

The only thing that I don't like about them is they are soooo slow to post new videos...smile...
Old 06-11-2015, 00:17   #45

Boat: Sandibar 35
Thumbs up Re: Newlyweds buy a boat sight unseen and go cruising in the Caribbean: A Video Journ

"...young cruisers... Earn it baby!...those who should be working ... asking me to cover costs..." Don't get this mentality either. This topic was discussed in another video thread here on CF a while ago and a similar attitude was displayed by one commentator in particular. I still think he was/is a troll, but apparently there are people who really think
a) people younger than themselves should not go cruising, and should not have fun in general
b) the fact that they are cruising and younger than the more, ehrm, mature CF members, means they did not earn the money to do so
c) posting videos that are really well made and offer superior entertainment value to most tv-programs equals begging if the posters have a Patreon account and mention it anywhere.

That's just seems like a really bitter outlook on life and is, IMHO, very offensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
As a patreon supporter of now six cruisers, I can tell you I haven't been 'begged' to do anything. I find the video's entertaining and more entertaining than a lot of the crap on tv nowadays, hence I'm willing to 'donate' a small amount for the time and effort they have put into their videos. No begging, no expectations of any kind. Just pure enjoyment.

Tags
Caribbean, cruising, rib

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: