Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2015, 21:25   #16

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Newlyweds buy a boat sight unseen and go cruising in the Caribbean: A Video Journ

Glad to hear that you're "Making your life worth living"! And I'll be curious to read the coming info series which you mentioned.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 01:32   #17

Boat: Sandibar 35
Re: Newlyweds buy a boat sight unseen and go cruising in the Caribbean: A Video Journ

Will, the boat looks great and you're having fun, good job. Excellent videos, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post

I bought a house blind once because the time to travel there risked losing the house to another buyer.

Yes there where undiscovered problems, but I accepted that when I offered my price. Sometimes in life you just have to go for it.
Ha ha, I thought I was the only one. Bought our house without seeing it (was living on another continent at the time).
Sandibar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 03:31   #18

Boat: Kaufman 47

Right on guys! Have fun, leave some for us. My fiancé and I will be down there after our wedding next summer!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 04:32   #19

Boat: Contest 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLewis View Post
How did you like Nanny? I haven't been there in about 4 years. We had a pretty good provisioning experience. They bring it to the boat. We were berthed right next to some Brits doing the ARC and their provisioning was quite different from ours. About 9 cases of Heinekens to our big fat zero. We made up for it at the 'off-site' bar. Have fun and keep posting.
Despite my complaining about the overall experience of working on the boat in the yard and Marina at Nanny Cay, it's actually a great facility. Basically everything you need to provision and fix a boat. Not cheap, but nothing is down here. By far the nicest bathrooms I've seen at a marina, which is worth something after a day of sweating.
MondayNever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 04:34   #20

Thanks for all the kind comments, folks. We've felt really lucky for all the positivity we've received from family, friends, former employers, and even strangers on the internet!
Old 31-10-2015, 14:13   #21
CHM

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 432

Awesome video. Years of insight in a little over 9 minutes. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
CHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2015, 18:57   #22

Boat: 72 Coronado 35 Ketch

Hi Guys congratulations on a successful launch and a good first couple of months.

Enjoy this while you're young and healthy and you'll never regret it. Hey as you get older, like me, enjoy it then also, because you will still never regret it.
1HappySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:34   #23

So glad I found your channel. As we speak i'm cutting my california ties (san jose), preparing for my estate sale tomorrow where i hope all my stuff will be gone, and am moving to FL next week where i have this waiting for me.

http://mellowdolphin.com/sailing.htm...l%20(aka%20TNB)

Mine is sight unseen too (and free from a buddy that wants it taken care of and used)

Seeing the heat take its toll on you 2 really prepares me for whats ahead. We get so soft in cali without humidity!

Congrats!

Keep the videos coming!
Rugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:09   #24

Boat: Nauticat 32

Looks like a good start. Enjoy!
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 03:09   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugger View Post
So glad I found your channel. As we speak i'm cutting my california ties (san jose), preparing for my estate sale tomorrow where i hope all my stuff will be gone, and am moving to FL next week where i have this waiting for me.

Sailing)

Mine is sight unseen too (and free from a buddy that wants it taken care of and used)

Seeing the heat take its toll on you 2 really prepares me for whats ahead. We get so soft in cali without humidity!

Congrats!

Keep the videos coming!
Hey rugger, good luck on the move. Definitely a tumultuous but exciting time. What are your plans for the boat? Is she in decent shape or in need of a big refit?
Old 02-11-2015, 16:45   #26

My buddy and his wife bought the bare hull in the 80s, built it up cruised the grate lakes extensively and lived on it for 3-4 years sailing elcaribe.

Its a little small for my live aboard mindset (for now) so i have a place in Bradenton I'll be living in for a year or 2.

I have done about 40000 miles on the water along the monterey coast over the years. All power boating.

This will be my first big boy sailboat. The last one was when i was 13.

The plan is to make it into my man cave and to hone my skills on it for some time on the gulf venturing to the bahamas....and of course do a Caribbean journey or 2.

Maybe i'll live on it after then or maybe get something bigger.

Maybe its my starter boat but maybe I'll keep her. We'll see.

He tells me that everything has been stored properly and everything worked 3 years ago. Its been stored inside too.

The usual cleaning and bottom paint will obviously need to be done. The sails need a little work but from what experts tell me that should be about $200-300.

The Yanmar 20hp diesel is solid and has about 2000 hours.

Its a solid boat from what i'm told. Im sure there will be some issues. Thats fine...more to learn that way.

I have another close friend who is a sailaholic that will be mentoring me through this all so it all sounds like a good life to me.
Rugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 17:02   #27

Boat: Pearson 365

I say go for it !!! However, years back a young couple did the same thing and bought a Cat and said they were going around the world. All the old Nay sayers came out in full force and said how crazy it was. Yes, I'm talking about the Bumfuzzle Crew. They ended up getting banded from a couple forums. They said doing crazy unsafe things shouldnt be glamorized. My how things change. They made lots of mistakes and learned fast. They would do stuff that ordinary sailors would not do, like go to uncharted islands (not on cruising guides) and such. I've been following them since 2003 I think. What a funny dude. He has a knack for documenting and taking photos. I will watch yours too. Good Luck. It might not be luck but skill, so get prepared.
Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 18:42   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
I love that you're loving it. I was smiling with you just watching the video.
Totally agree! Thank you for taking us along. Just remember that no matter what you are DOING it!
Boathooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 21:09   #29

Boat: Vancouver 27

Good luck guys! Thanks for sharing.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 23:22   #30

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondayNever View Post
Hey guys,
A couple of months ago I posted my five part Extremely Subjective Guide to Buying a Boat in the Caribbean and got a great response from you guys. Only a few people called me an idiot for buying her sight unseen, and fair enough. I thought some of you might be curious to see how things are progressing now that my wife, Cat, and I have quit our jobs, sold our stuff, finally arrived in the BVI, laid eyes on the boat, started fixing things, and taken off on our first week of cruising.

We spent about two weeks on the hard and in the marina working on the most necessary projects before finally saying "good enough" and untying the lines for a week at anchor at Peter, Norman, Cooper, and Virgin Gorda. We came back for a quick overnight at Nanny Cay Marina to provision and get more parts from Budget Marine and we're off to St. John tomorrow.

At some point I'll post a 6th part to the buyers guide about The Reality of buying a boat 3000 miles from home. Until then, hope you guys enjoy our blog and video series about the process:

Videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/mondaynever

All the best,

Will and Cat
HI guys, love watching videos like this. If you really get going well, head over to Patreon and join up as fools like me will pay to watch your videos and fund your sailing
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, cruising, rib