Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2015, 12:35   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: GREEN COVE SPRINGS, Florida
Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Posts: 362
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2
Re: Newbie with a question about travel to Cuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Owning a US registered boat has no bearing on you visiting Cuba. Even so the US Immigration people could refuse entry to you personally on return because you went to Cuba. The boat does not matter. This situation may change soon if Obama gets his way but that's how it is for now.

A little subtlety is required. If you want to go there then bury the visit amongst your visits to other Caribbean islands. It isn't hard. If you would rather go on the way back then be sure to make your final leg out of the Caribbean Mexico - US.

The Cuban immigration guys are cool. They won't stamp your passport unless you ask.
They insert a Sticker that they stamp and can easily be removed for US entry as most Canadians know.
__________________

__________________
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 16:18   #17
Registered User
 
Mach.80 to 8Kts's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 12
Re: Newbie with a question about travel to Cuba

I love reading this thread. The irony of this whole thread is in the background.
My dear Yankee friends, how's that Cuba embargo working out for you? Stoping the spread of communism? You sure stuck it to them after the failure of the Bay of Pigs. Meanwhile the rest of the world enjoys Cuba and her culture.
At least Obama see the absurdity of the Jessie Helms bill.

I'm off to Havana Friday. I'm going to enjoy a nice Cuban cigar and some rum before the Yanks come in and open a Starbucks and Jack in the box on every corner.
__________________

__________________
Mach.80 to 8Kts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 01:19   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: GREEN COVE SPRINGS, Florida
Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Posts: 362
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2
Re: Newbie with a question about travel to Cuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach.80 to 8Kts View Post
I love reading this thread. The irony of this whole thread is in the background.
My dear Yankee friends, how's that Cuba embargo working out for you? Stopping the spread of communism? You sure stuck it to them after the failure of the Bay of Pigs. Meanwhile the rest of the world enjoys Cuba and her culture.
At least Obama see the absurdity of the Jessie Helms bill.

I'm off to Havana Friday. I'm going to enjoy a nice Cuban cigar and some rum before the Yanks come in and open a Starbucks and Jack in the box on every corner.
I'm a Canadian Brit, hold both passports and worked & vacationed in Cuba over a span of many years and helped setup a joint Canadian & Cuban Engineering company. Never did understand the Helms/Burton Bill, never hurt the Cubans in my opinion, but caused much inconvenience for Americans. My wife is American and can't go to Cuba which restricts passage out of Florida where we live. I for one do not want to see Americans there, compared to the USVI it is crime free and more economical for visitors. Before Castro Havana was sin city on steroids. Who would want that back? Helms and Co made threats of kidnapping people like me off the streets of Toronto to stand trial as war criminals? Shows the mentality and the culture of those that believe they are harming Cuba.
My family in Canada can vacation in Cuba, flight, hotel, food and liquor for the cost of just an air ticket to Florida.
Many Cubans in Miami believe that after Castro they will go home and resume their old ways.
Pity Cuba.
In my experience most Americans couldn't care less about Cuba and the odd anticommunist that that voices an opinion mumbles about Castro being involved in the Kennedy affair.
If you can, go to Cuba, its the best Caribbean deal around and for North Americans the closest.
__________________
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 08:53   #19
Registered User
 
Mach.80 to 8Kts's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 12
Re: Newbie with a question about travel to Cuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlib2 View Post
I'm a Canadian Brit, hold both passports and worked & vacationed in Cuba over a span of many years and helped setup a joint Canadian & Cuban Engineering company. Never did understand the Helms/Burton Bill, never hurt the Cubans in my opinion, but caused much inconvenience for Americans. My wife is American and can't go to Cuba which restricts passage out of Florida where we live. I for one do not want to see Americans there, compared to the USVI it is crime free and more economical for visitors. Before Castro Havana was sin city on steroids. Who would want that back? Helms and Co made threats of kidnapping people like me off the streets of Toronto to stand trial as war criminals? Shows the mentality and the culture of those that believe they are harming Cuba.
My family in Canada can vacation in Cuba, flight, hotel, food and liquor for the cost of just an air ticket to Florida.
Many Cubans in Miami believe that after Castro they will go home and resume their old ways.
Pity Cuba.

In my experience most Americans couldn't care less about Cuba and the odd anticommunist that that voices an opinion mumbles about Castro being involved in the Kennedy affair.
If you can, go to Cuba, its the best Caribbean deal around and for North Americans the closest.

Ouch. That was more harsh than my words. I thought I was being harsh. I really hope that the change that comes to Cuba will be for the better. I've never been to a holiday resort there. I always go to Havana. I am by no means an expert on Cuba, but do spend lots of time talking to locals there off the beaten path of the tourist destinations. They do want change, but they are worried.

Here's to hoping.
__________________
Mach.80 to 8Kts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 12:22   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: GREEN COVE SPRINGS, Florida
Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Posts: 362
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2
Re: Newbie with a question about travel to Cuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach.80 to 8Kts View Post
Ouch. That was more harsh than my words. I thought I was being harsh. I really hope that the change that comes to Cuba will be for the better. I've never been to a holiday resort there. I always go to Havana. I am by no means an expert on Cuba, but do spend lots of time talking to locals there off the beaten path of the tourist destinations. They do want change, but they are worried.

Here's to hoping.
I was visiting Cuba when the Russians were still there; vacation & business. Cuba has come a long way since in their efforts to accommodate tourists and provide hygienic facilities.
Many of the hotels are owned by Canadians, staff trained in Canada and food supplied from Canada.
Miami has become the Capital of the Caribbean & Bahamas supplying most of their needs and corrupting as they do local politicians with kick backs & perks. The reason many Islands prefer to remain European overseas territories/colonies, they don't trust their own bureaucrats.
Cuba has cause to be worried !!
__________________

__________________
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Cuba

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Travel journal, travel log, logbook app! Tobi_R Fishing, Recreation & Fun 2 27-09-2014 07:02
Obama Administration to Ease Cuba Travel Restrictions Ram Atlantic & the Caribbean 52 16-01-2011 09:15
New Book on Travel to Cuba sanssouci The Library 4 25-02-2010 12:39
Travel to Cuba dpollitt Atlantic & the Caribbean 7 26-11-2008 11:00



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:56.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.