Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 18:25   #16

Boat: Traditional 30
Find me a sane sailor! You have to be nuts. As someone else here said. Do a course. Spend the money as an investment that will, in the long term, save you money.

How will it save you money? Firstly, your experience will allow you to buy the right boat. You will be less likely to bang into other expensive boats and have to pay for the subsequent repairs. You will know when to reef earlier and how to do it. This will save you bundles with the local sailmaker as you wont be getting sails repaired all the time. You will know how to read a chart properly and navigate, thus reducing your chances of hitting a reef. ahh. the list is endless.

But go for it! Get out of Boston now. Head to an area with good sailing, say Florida. join a sailing school. Also get sailing on OPBs ( Other poeples boats) via the local clubs etc. In three months of consistant training and learning you should be fine to hop on a plane to the islands and buy yourself your dreamboat.

Cheers
Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 18:25   #17

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin
Hey, hey: Boston does not suck. It is beautiful. Don't trash my town.

In 2004, I started living and working in the caribbean, USVI included. I love flying out of Boston to go work in the Carib and i love flying home to be back in town.

There are plenty of boats to buy in the USVI. I'd also look around Fajardo, Puerto Rico, too. Start at Isletta Marina.

Have fun.
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:06   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
As an alternative, try finding a job as crew aboard somebody else's boat for awhile. CrewFile - Yacht Crew Jobs, Boat Jobs, Cruise Jobs, Sailing Jobs, Sailing Crew, Deliveries - Cruise Jobs, Sailing Jobs, Luxury Yacht Jobs International, and there are others?
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
living aboard