Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 31-07-2016, 18:11   #1

Newbie emergency! 911! All captains in Newport Beach!

So, I just bought a Westsail 32 in San Diego. I had a nice gentleman help me to motorsail it up to Morro Bay. We made the two days to Newport Beach and, as we're trying to get a slip(which we didn't), he says he has heart pains and called his wife to come and get him. At this very moment I'm making my way into the deepest anchorage in the bay to spend the night. I am a sailor but, this boat is much heavier than I'm used to and, I am not relishing the thought of rounding conception point on my own. I need help, please.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 31-07-2016, 19:13   #2
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42
Re: Newbie emergency! 911! All captains in Newport Beach!

Nanny, you may find a good night's sleep will get you in a better frame of mind for the trip. Any chance of getting some quality rest?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 31-07-2016, 19:14   #3

Except for it being the first time I've ever achored a boat this heavy in a strange place, I'll be out like a light.

Old 31-07-2016, 19:54   #4
Bailing as fast as I can.

Boat: Swanson 42

Excellent. See how you feel in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 01-08-2016, 08:26   #5

Boat: Catalina 30

May I apologize for the inappropriate posts of my fellow cruisers. They apparently know little about what you are talking about.

I have been where you are and I totally agree with you: don't take Conception Point solo. For those of you who don't know Pacific Coast sailing, it is one of the more treacherous stretches of water along the coast. You've got some weird currents and weirder winds colliding.

I've done it. We set off in what looked like great conditions, but ended up in the middle of a storm, and it was like all hell broke loose. The only time I have ever seen the deck and the cabin underwater. The only time I have ever had the prop spin free out of the water due to the waves. The only time I have come so close to broaching. Dangerous place in the wrong conditions. No place to be solo.

You should meander up the coast, as far as Oxnard or Ventura. Check around in the local yacht clubs. They will have some folks who can help you out.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:29   #6
Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Cape Dory 30K

I might be willing to go with you. I made the trip last year with my Newport 28. I wanted to go further this year to Monterrey. But My finances won't allow it. Please call 818-573-8870
Old 01-08-2016, 08:50   #7

Please don't take the trip around PC lightly. And take every bit of advise with a grain of salt, including mine.

If nothing else, get up to Santa Barbra and wait for a buddy boat leaving and go together. That will give you some time to get to know and trust the boat. Run off from Newport to Catalina, grab a mooring at Isthmus, you may find someone there who is working their way up the coast, don't be afraid to ask around. If you have some time, post an ad in Latitude 38 and the San Diego Log.

If you are in a hurry, don't be. It is easy to get pretty thrashed up on that trip and nothing good sits to the lee. You need your engine to be in first rate condition - PERIOD.

If you need a slip, get on the phone to one of the Long Beach / San Pedro marinas. There are slips up there, just may be a little daunting to get to them. Newport Beach is not super friendly to transients who stick past their welcome.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:51   #8

Okay guys. Thanks for the support. Even the "suck it up" comment got me in a better frame of mind. I'm going to do what one poster suggested and, get this tank up to Santa Barbara(just a bit north from Ventura). Presently, I am just south about two hours from Terminal island. Maybe a bit more. I believe I can get to Redondo beach before dark. Thank you for The offers of help but, if you haven't fondle point Conception, please just sit back and enjoy the thread. No need for two of us to die unnecessarily... If someone has done the point already and wants to come down to Redondo, or even just Santa Barbara in a couple days, or, Ventura tomorrow night, I am really greatful.
Now, that being said, this is a shakedown cruise and, I have been dancing around a bit solving problems. There's a loose wire in the engine room that kills everythin when it comes disconnecred, the regulator of for the alternator keeps letting the charge run wild, the windlass breaker went last night(that anchor is a heavy bitch!), it's running rich, the dingy is hilarious, and, the dingy motor is a no go with one oar... I feel brave and stupid at the same time. I do know how to sail and, handle a boat. I'm just trying to make a safe decision.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:52   #9

Boat: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD-MDR View Post
I might be willing to go with you. I made the trip last year with my Newport 28. I wanted to go further this year to Monterrey. But My finances won't allow it. Please call 818-573-8870
This is a great forum.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:57   #10

You should have little trouble getting to Santa Barbara this time of year. Lots of great stops along the way. Enjoy the trip. Two Harbors on Catalina, King harbor, paradise cove, smugglers on Santa Cruz island are a few of my favorites. You will find ample opportunity to pull out the sails too. It will be easy enough to find a Capt to help you around Pt. Conception once you are in Santa Barbara. It's really all about patience and timing as the seas calm down at the point every few days. Call one of the yacht brokers in Santa Barbara and ask them who they use for deliveries.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:11   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Nammy,

Since this is a new to you boat, if you have not already addressed this, getting out on the ocean and rolling around can stir up sediment and gunk in the diesel tanks, clog the filters and shut you down.

More of a concern of course if the boat sat for a long time before you purchased it. If the PO was actively using it up until the sale you might be OK. Just in case, make sure you have spare fuel filters. Note filters plural, can't hurt to have several. If this problem occurs it's not unusual to clog up several.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:16   #12

I do have lots of spare parts on board. The PO used it as an apartment for 8 years but the owner before him took excellent care of it so, thank God for him. However, this tug needs some tlc! I am also a certified diesel mechanic of that helps. My gf is on board as well so, the meals are hot and free.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:17   #13

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I am in Channel Islands now and have been sailing around the Channel for quite a few years. If your engine is running well, you should not have a big problem with it. Traditionally folks will either stay at Cojo anchorage right there at the point and wait for settled weather and go early in the morning or stay in Santa Barabara and motor up timing it to hit the point in the early morning. IMO Cojo is a very nice anchorage, windy at times but good holding ground and not much swell, beautiful coastline. The only caveat for Cojo is to be ready for Northerly or offshore winds at night, they can be pretty strong. I was going to go up there for fun because it is such a nice area but it didn't work out this summer. Typically in the afternoons it can get windy (W-NW) and swells tend to pile up there but early morning you could motor around and find it flat. I think you'll find it more beautiful than scary. the whole stretch of coast from Santa Barabara to the point is typically calm especially in the morning and you can anchor just about anywhere along there if you want to take a break. Brian Fagan's book about Cruising the Channel Islands is a good reference too. The weather has been pretty good lately too, this is a good time of year around here so I'd say give it a try. Once you are up past Arguello the conditions will typically be the same as you go up the coast and lately it's been great sailing weather. PM me if you like. You have a good boat, and if the engine is running well I would not be worried at all. And by the way, sailing around the point is not out of the question at all, I am just giving you the easiest and most common method. If things get too rough you can always run back to shelter at Cojo.
When are you planning to be there?
BTW I do know a man in SB who might be able to go with you, excellent sailor who helped me with a delivery and lots of boat work. I could imagine picking up someone at Gaviota Pier and dropping them off at Avila Beach and that is not too much time out of anyone's schedule. I am tempted to do it, but my summer is running short!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:24   #14

Boat: Westsail 28

Good luck to you two . Keep checking the VHF for a weather window when you get to SB .
Old 01-08-2016, 09:49   #15

I hate to say it, but I was considering volunteering since I am reasonable close to any of the potential stops between Redondo Beach and Santa Barbara. If it were a sail trip I would have done so, Nammy made me doubt the sail part since the sole description was motorsailing (often more or less the best way in the area this time of year) and then casts doubt about the engine, without any mention of the adequacy / condition of the sails and rigging. I have no concern over handling Point Conception if the vessel is sound, but if not, navigation and the usual trade offs (risk vs speed, if the latter ever applies in a Westsail) are a concern. Anticipate fog as a probable, and stay alert to the weather forecasts. [example: my brother told me it was foggy at Pismo Beach yesterday, and I am sure you know about Estero Bay, and Morro Bay in particular.] Also suggest a current light list and a review of the latest LNM too. If you get wind in your sails, your vessel tends to get wet, so protect your electronics accordingly. Enjoy what you can, and avoid silly risks. Fair winds and smooth motoring too.

Tags
captain, emergency, enc, newport, newport beach

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: