Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-08-2016, 09:54   #16

Re: Newbie emergency! 911! All captains in Newport Beach!

That boat can basically sail itself in almost all sea conditions. Just leave at early light and go for it.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:57   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

nammy
if my friend marky mark (i think surname horton, but not specifically sure-- he was blonde haired mark and icalled him captain markus mcquarkus.). best friends for looong time. he was 11 when i first met him, he was buddies with my 7 yr old son at some racing events in riverside) he used to drive the lift at a yard in channel islands ventura area( bellport anaconda>??)... if he is still alive please find his short blond self to help you . please tell him that his nursee friend from san diego is down here and sends her best hug to him.
he is the sailor you seek. last i knew his blue hulled sloop alma, a 33 ft pearson vanguard was in that area. should not be hard to find if he is still alive. he did boat work and sailing, excelled at both. no interwebzz. only cell phone.

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:05   #18
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

I hope the guy who was helping you is OK. Far as I'm concerned that's the most important item of this thread! And if you think the proper course of action for a crew member having heart pain is to call his wife, well ................
Old 01-08-2016, 10:06   #19
Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Cape Dory 30K

Hey Nammy, Thanks for the call. Forecast for Fri and Sat is NW gusts to 25. A little much for my little one cylinder Yanmar. but that wind will probably be in the PM so if you leave early,round the point then sail int San Luis it should be soo nice. And you can always turn around back to anchorage. Check the weather reports as they come out several times a day
Old 01-08-2016, 10:09   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
That boat can basically sail itself in almost all sea conditions. Just leave at early light and go for it.
The usual problems in the area are fog, the shore, and outlying rocks. The sea itself is a friend, and the Westsail 32 is a very seaworthy design (note, I said design, without referencing the particular vessel's condition).
Old 01-08-2016, 10:17   #21

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
nammy
if my friend marky mark (i think surname horton, but not specifically sure-- he was blonde haired mark and icalled him captain markus mcquarkus.). best friends for looong time. he was 11 when i first met him, he was buddies with my 7 yr old son at some racing events in riverside) he used to drive the lift at a yard in channel islands ventura area( bellport anaconda>??)... if he is still alive please find his short blond self to help you . please tell him that his nursee friend from san diego is down here and sends her best hug to him.
he is the sailor you seek. last i knew his blue hulled sloop alma, a 33 ft pearson vanguard was in that area. should not be hard to find if he is still alive. he did boat work and sailing, excelled at both. no interwebzz. only cell phone.
Ha, know Mark too, great guy. And yes he is very much alive! His Vanguard is just off my stern here in Channel Islands. Come on up (or call) to Anacapa Boat yard to find him.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:30   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to Wendi

One of the important things here is the potential heart attack of your crew member, and what the immediate priorities should be. In this case, we can assume his heart pains stopped since there was no more mention of it.
Every boat can have nitroglycerin for an immediate way to stop a heart attack. Also Cayenne pepper, a ground spoonful in water has the ability to stop a heart attack.
So, if someone on your boat is having heart pains, what you do for them immediately can mean you save their life by giving nitroglycerin or cayenne, making it possible for you to get him transported asap.
I wonder how many sailors are proficient in CPR? My class was many years ago. I hope I never have to try to do this while sailing. Yikes, that would be a tough time.
Also, in that situation wouldn't you radio for an emergency rescue for him if it looks like he needs help?

A mile high these days. Need to get back to sea level soon.
Wendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:31   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nammy View Post
I do have lots of spare parts on board. The PO used it as an apartment for 8 years but the owner before him took excellent care of it so, thank God for him. However, this tug needs some tlc! I am also a certified diesel mechanic of that helps. My gf is on board as well so, the meals are hot and free.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Diesel mechanic for boats or for cars and trucks? If cars and trucks do you run into bugs growing in the fuel over time? It's a big problem in boats.

If the PO used it for an apartment for 8 years then I would be concerned about goop in the diesel tanks. Did he/she run the engine or ever take the boat out? How old is the fuel? Did you drain the tanks or inspect the tanks to see what's in there?
Old 01-08-2016, 10:51   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here's another strong suggestion that you inspect the diesel tanks. If you have any water in the tank, through a leaking fill cap, vent, or even just condensation, in less than a year it can turn into a horrible bacterial slime that sticks to the tank walls until you hit some waves. Then it breaks loose and clogs your filters. You can easily go through a half-dozen filters in a day if it's bad enough.

If you can't drain the tank, at least probe around with a suction tube, making sure to sample the low spots. If you suck up any significant amount of water or slime, you really need to drain and scrub, or vigorously polish the fuel. You have to get the slime off the tank walls. If you don't, the waves around Pt. Conception will do it for you at the worst possible time.

By the way, I've been around Pt. Conception a couple of times, northbound on sailboats, and southbound on a power boat. It's not necessarily a bad trip, just watch the weather. Usually the early morning is the calmest, but of course that depends on the weather.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:59   #25
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Ha, know Mark too, great guy. And yes he is very much alive! His Vanguard is just off my stern here in Channel Islands. Come on up (or call) to Anacapa Boat yard to find him.
you have no idea how happy you made me--made my day, actually. i wish i could get there, but.....
he is good to sail with , cool headed, been sailing since very young. knows a lot more than most others i have met. i miss him. good soul.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:09   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
you have no idea how happy you made me--made my day, actually. i wish i could get there, but.....
he is good to sail with , cool headed, been sailing since very young. knows a lot more than most others i have met. i miss him. good soul.
And like all the best, quite humble about it too! I'll go over to the office tomorrow to find him and let him know you are looking for him!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 01-08-2016, 12:34   #27

Here is a useful website for the point, doesn't have fog info though. Pretty calm right now. The buoy data is useful too.
Point Conception Surf Map | SURFLINE.COM

and this one:
Good Place to Anchor Near Point Conception

BTW, it will become clear of course once you get there, but technically it is Government Point that shelters Cojo, not Point Conception.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 01-08-2016, 12:58   #28

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I suggest you teach your girl friend to do a little piloting, then you can go through the nights. It's a long way from Pt. Conception to Moro Bay. How we've done it is to leave Cojo Anchorage (under PC) around 1 a.m. before daylight, in order to made a daytime landfall further north. If you have easy weather for the trip, i'd consider going all the way through, tacking on a schedule that works for you. If she doesn't know how to tack the boat, do her watch on the offshore tacks. Keep it simple, and safe. At some point, if necessary, heave to, and make sure the engine'll run going into MB.

Ann

"Today's misfortune is tomorrow's adventure."
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 13:16   #29

Most folks anchor below the "a" in "Wood Canyon" on the photo here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2016-08-01 at 1.15.09 PM.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	128874  
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 01-08-2016, 13:33   #30
Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Cape Dory 30K

isn't that where the surfers hang out? I saw a bunch of small motor boats anchored there . I went up to Government point and felt much safer.There were several larger boats and some gov't mooring bouys. It was easy to find in the fog just about 1 mi or less east of the light house.

Tags
captain, emergency, enc, newport, newport beach

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: