Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2016, 10:39   #46

Re: New to Sailing, any info will be helpful

Stumble Not my intent. Have 10 years before we purchase a boat. I need information on boats in my price range, and any information. Training is obvious.

No I was a turret gunner Iraq attached to anglico Marines the last 3 months there. My secondary mos was logistics vehicle system operator. Basically if it had rubber tires on it I had a license to operate it. Artillery is cool, but not that cool. I like to move around, run patrols, cuss out locals, and try and find ice in the desert. That saying is a Marine Corps wide saying. We all have a lingo. I wasnt trying to br a dick just was confused at what you said.
Usmc_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:06   #47

Boat: 1929 Malabar 33
pirate Re: New to Sailing, any info will be helpful

Hi! My husband is a skilled sailor where I am very new--we love our wooden boats and would not buy a new fiberglass as it may go down in value the minute it is driven off the lot! Slightly used may be a good idea. Also, and I can not emphasis this enough--TAKE A CLASS!! My husband (I had to drag him at first) and I took a TWO WEEK sailing class to the Caribbean; it was the best thing we ever did!

We are comfortable in our 30 with a beam of nine--it can get tight on long trips, but one of you will pretty much always be up top, you can get grills that hang over the edge making a kitchen less confining, use curtains over doors for privacy, it is really all about preference on how you design your cabin. It is not always about how long the boat is, the width and electrical capabilities, I would find of greater importance. Tip--Separate Batteries.

Good Luck USMC! We are new too, this is my first reply--I can not figure out how to get to my messages...

New Life Couple
New Life Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:22   #48
vjm

If racing doesn't appeal, it is also possible to buy a small boat you can use for daysailing and short weekends (Cal 22, Montgomery 17, etc.). I just bought a 25' boat with an inboard diesel for $1500 that is my "learning boat." I fully expect to eat most of the money I put into her come resale time, but the point is to practice and learn maintenance. She is sturdy enough to do bigger things eventually if I don't want to switch boats. She is super slow (I prefer "sedate performer") but I know that doesn't matter to me right now and for the next few years.

I just don't recommend buying anything until you know you both enjoy sailing, and don't buy your forever boat (or what you hope will be your forever boat) until you have enough experience to make an educated and personal choice. Refits and maintenance are expensive, but you want quality if you are keeping the boat long term. No sense in throwing money into something only to discover that it is not the right boat for the two of you.

I am sorry that the answers were not what you expected. Everyone is always happy to welcome a new sailor, it is just the worry for people that get hurt financially or physically because they are biting off more than they can chew.

It is a really fun process. I am sure you both will enjoy learning and looking. Let us know how it goes!
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:26   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmc_ View Post
Stumble Not my intent. Have 10 years before we purchase a boat. I need information on boats in my price range, and any information. Training is obvious.

No I was a turret gunner Iraq attached to anglico Marines the last 3 months there. My secondary mos was logistics vehicle system operator. Basically if it had rubber tires on it I had a license to operate it. Artillery is cool, but not that cool. I like to move around, run patrols, cuss out locals, and try and find ice in the desert. That saying is a Marine Corps wide saying. We all have a lingo. I wasnt trying to br a dick just was confused at what you said.
I was an 0341. It was our platoon moto.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 16:03   #50

Vjm Now thats a good idea. And of course, going to see if we both love it first. That would be one costly dumb mistake
Old 12-07-2016, 16:06   #51

Nice man, Semper Fi. 35/33 before they phased all 33s in to 31s. Was attached to anglico Marines the last 3 months in Iraq. Got to see, use and do thing and experience places I wouldn't have ever gotten to as just a turret gunner.
Old 12-07-2016, 16:33   #52

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
I was an 0341. It was our platoon moto.
I was a 5953 ....

I think our motto was smoke a good joint or drink an extra beer near runway threshold on nite check and enjoy the F4's and A6's that landed over your head but stay away when the Harriers were nearby. Then try and figure out wtf those weird looking jets were with the swept back wings? (F14's)

One of my "coworkers" almost got written up when he visited Camp Lejeune because he had on safety shoes and his "pants" weren't bloused.

We were out of Cherry Point and Bogue Field at the time. The above was Yuma. No grunts near Yuma though I don't believe
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 16:49   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
A new engine on a 35' boat figure $7k plus installation
Sails about $7,500-$10k
Standing Rigging $2-3k
Running rigging 3-5k
Nav system $3-10k depending on what you get. Top flight with all the bells and whistles upwards of $30k
A new mast 30-40k for aluminium

These numbers are very boat dependent so there is a huge range, but none of it is cheap, and any of it can drastically effect the used value of a boat.

Note: when responding to a specific post, please use the quote function. It makes it far easier to follow your thoughts. I am not sure which post you are responding too.

Are these numbers accurate.

Mast for a 80s model Catalina or hunter cost 30k? I can't see any mast on any 78-84 model vessel costing more than a few thousand based on all the sites I've just looked at selling used aluminum mast for 1,000$
Old 12-07-2016, 16:52   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I was a 5953 and a 5959....

I think our motto was smoke a good joint or drink an extra beer near runway threshold on nite check and enjoy the F4's and A6's that landed over your head but stay away when the Harriers were nearby. Then try and figure out wtf those weird looking jets were with the swept back wings? (F14's)

One of my "coworkers" almost got written up when he visited Camp Lejeune because he had on safety shoes and his "pants" weren't bloused.

We were out of Cherry Point and Bogue Field at the time. The above was Yuma. No grunts near Yuma though I don't believe
Air traffic control.... I wish I had a good desk job. Just kidding thanks for your service
Old 12-07-2016, 16:54   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CAL, 35 Cruiser, 35 ft

USMC. Your dream sounds fun. What is the challenge is the values you need to accomplish the goals you have set out. One couple bought a ocean worthy boat for $30 K. It had sailed around the world 3 times and was a proven ocean going design. They put $100,000 into it refurbishing the operating parts to sail it around the world. See their history at About Us | Sundowner Sails Again.
I bought a 1974 boat 35 foot Cal Cruiser. $14,000. Ok engine, good hull, Nice room for a 6'5'' crew member to stand in the boat, seaworthy design. But it was 1974 when the mast was built. I had to restore it and replace everything on it. 5 months of sitting in a marina with the mast on the hard and another $13,000. Issue was the age of the wires holding the mast vertical and spreaders made of wood that were now rotten. I share this to help identify that even if your find a boat in your budget it is likely to have deferred maintenance issues. You are going to have to replace many boat parts in order to make it seaworthy to carry you and your wife away any distance from shore.

Good luck in your decision.
JSSailem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 17:01   #56

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Air traffic control.... I wish I had a good desk job. Just kidding thanks for your service
Service?

Most of it was school (about 2 years, 8 hours per day) then getting full GI Bill benefits.

When locked on base on Bogue Field, NC no marine was allowed to leave for the entire exercise.

But, we had a boat!

14' aluminum with a 9.9 which we used to make beer, wine, and food runs.........

the poker games ran 24 hours per day
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 17:02   #57
vjm

Quote:
Are these numbers accurate.

Mast for a 80s model Catalina or hunter cost 30k? I can't see any mast on any 78-84 model vessel costing more than a few thousand based on all the sites I've just looked at selling used aluminum mast for 1,000$
Those are new prices. You can get masts and sails used. Electronics are sort of pointless to buy when they are very outdated, but you lose at lot of depreciation on them when you buy new. You really need a VHF and a depth sounder. Everything after that is pretty discretionary.

Boats ain't cheap. Saltwater, humidity, and sun are super destructive. You want to get top quality stuff that lasts in the areas that matter. Consumables like sails and electronics you can set a budget and get the best you can, either new or used. Long term stuff that is safety related (seacocks, masts, throughulls, chainplates, etc.) needs to be bullet proof. That doesn't necessarily have to mean new but it sure can. Keep in mind that buying used can take time and planning. Finding a used sail that fits and is in great shape and is a steal takes diligent hunting every day, and patience. If you are doing a refit to a new to you boat that can keep you off the water.

I think you guys will do great. Enjoy the journey! So much to know, learn, practice.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 17:16   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CAL, 35 Cruiser, 35 ft

Quote:
Ok thanks. I was really wanting a decent boat and putting a brand new engineand, rigging sails and navigation system. Then again I have no idea how much a sailboat engine can run. I'm sure it's expensive.
Boats in the 30-35 foot length dependent on the displacement 8,000 to 16,000 lbs you will need an engine from 30 to 50hp. Powered by diesel provides an optimum fuel to performance function. Engines in this category run from $4,300 to $9,500 perhaps a bit more if installed. A suit of new sails (2 jibs, main, storm sail, and a spinnaker) is easily $5,000 to $7,500. Electronics are computers. Based on your wishes the numbers can be all over the place. Know that people sailed around the world without electronic navigational equipment.
JSSailem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 17:17   #59

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Hi guys, my wife and I before long are selling our home and all of our belongings, buying a sailboat and hitting the ocean. I know exactly nothing about sailing except that wind pushes the sails on a sailboat. Extremely entry level novice.
You need to learn how to sail. Not living in FL I can't make much in the way of suggestions for that without taking a lot of time here I don't have. The best starter is to buy a Laser or 2 and go sailing for 3 hours every weekend for the next 6 months.

We will have about a 15k spending limit on a sailboat and I've personally been looking at O'Days, Hunters, an Catalinas, but would love to hear what you guys think. I'd love to buy a sailboat for 8k and put 8k in upgrades in to it.

We think we prefer fiberglass boats.
With your price range a fiberglass boat is the way to go.

I personally like the 80-83 30 foot Catalinas I've found. What do you guys think? And hat is a tall rig, what's its purpose? More sail, catches more wind and travels faster?
Tall rig means more sail area which translates into faster speed when the wind is light. If you keep the extra sail up when the wind get heavier you start to run the risk of loosing control of the boat. No likely to sink it, but you might get hurt some, and you are likely to break things that you will have to pay to replace. On average you increase your speed. I would prefer the tall rig.

Is a 83 Catalina sea worthy for Florida to the USVI? Obviously I'll only be around Florida for half a year learning how to sail and will slowly progress to the Bahamas and maybe in a year or so make the voyage to USVI.
In general I would say that Catalina 30s of any year could make that trip. It's not a particularly difficult route. However, asking if a used boat could sail Fl to USVI or across the Atlantic is like asking if a certain make and model of used car could drive across the country. Very few can't, the real question is whether the exact car or boat you have could. That question is very dependent on the care and maintenance previous owners have given the car and vessel.

Is a 30 footer a decent size for my wife and I, or would it be just a fast and efficient a little more roomier to get a 33-35 footer?
Do you and your wife camp? Living on a sailboat is somewhere between camping and living in a very small studio apartment. The tradeoff with boats is that bigger boats have more room to live in, but cost increases at least as a square of the length both for purchase and for maintenance and a bigger boat becomes harder to handle too. For me and my wife the sweet spot is in the 28-25' range. A Catalina 30 would be a good starter boat.

One or two sails?

Do you mean one mast or 2? One mast with halyards for a main, a headsail and a staysail are probably the sweet spot for cost, versatility and ease of use for cruising.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 15:17   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSSailem View Post
USMC. Your dream sounds fun. What is the challenge is the values you need to accomplish the goals you have set out. One couple bought a ocean worthy boat for $30 K. It had sailed around the world 3 times and was a proven ocean going design. They put $100,000 into it refurbishing the operating parts to sail it around the world. See their history at About Us | Sundowner Sails Again.
I bought a 1974 boat 35 foot Cal Cruiser. $14,000. Ok engine, good hull, Nice room for a 6'5'' crew member to stand in the boat, seaworthy design. But it was 1974 when the mast was built. I had to restore it and replace everything on it. 5 months of sitting in a marina with the mast on the hard and another $13,000. Issue was the age of the wires holding the mast vertical and spreaders made of wood that were now rotten. I share this to help identify that even if your find a boat in your budget it is likely to have deferred maintenance issues. You are going to have to replace many boat parts in order to make it seaworthy to carry you and your wife away any distance from shore.

Good luck in your decision.

Yes sir, I see what you are saying. Just like a vehicle only a lot more expensive.

Tags
sail, sailing