Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2016, 08:54   #31

Boat: Hunter Passage 42
Re: New to Sailing, any info will be helpful

Stumbles advice is another example of the complexities of this post.

Unlike him I like the fact that I'm on a keel boat where if my butt slides 6 inches it doesn't matter. I'm not excited about the tender healing(tipiness) of a small dinghy. Especially cause it's not unusual to have them dump you in the drink. I hate having my wine diluted!!

My preference would be to start with a 22 -25 stable keel boat with a nice backup outboard. Just big enough to spend the night, but small enough to not feel like you are turning the Titanic.

If you want to be an outstanding sailor (racer- fast) then Stumbles is on the mark. If you just want to get around relax then I would recommend a stable little keel boat. Again only you can decide that.
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:04   #32

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmc_ View Post

I find it odd that I asked about boats and was attacked for not mentioning training. Does that happen often, people just buy boats and set sail not knowing what they are doing. Very strange responses lol.
You'd be surprised...
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:27   #33

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

USMC, after many years of powerboating and restoring my own old wooden boats while I was in the USN (enlisted guy trying to restore a wooden 40-footer on an E-6 budget none-the-less!) I decided to try sailing although I had never sailed before. Bought a book, read it thoroughly many times over, and bought a 21-foot O'Day with a 9-HP Yamaha outboard for $1200 and then the day comes to actually go to the marina where the boat sat (James River near Norfolk, Va.). Luckily the boat was small and light enough that I could push off the 2 or 3 much larger (and more expensive) boats that I nearly bumped into pulling out of the marina because I didn't know anything about sailboats. Once in the open water of the river, I handled the sails so badly that I was surprised that I sailed the 12-miles to where my powerboat was docked (private dock). Over the ensuing months I talked with a lot of the "old salts" and watched the sailboats from the local sailing school while sitting at anchor and learned a lot. The following year I thought that I had to have a bigger boat so purchased a Catalina 27....was never comfortable on that boat for more than 3-days. The boat sailed great! But the interior layout just didn't do anything for me. Have recently purchased an older Hunter 27 as a liveaboard (It's just me and it's much larger than crew quarters on a US Navy ship!).

You mentioned the you have time, 10-years I believe you said. Take your time and listen to everyone on here (Except me...I'm a complete novice when compared to the likes of Ann and Jim, Stumble, RKO, and many others) when they tell you to take some lessons, learn the theory, learn to repair the technical systems on a boat, learn fiberglass and gelcoat repair, learn what you want/need on your boat, play on other people's boat, keep your partner fully involved at all times and go have fun. Good Luck!
Teknishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:40   #34

Thank you this was the best information yet! Baby steps for sure. In the Corps we have this saying "slow is smooth, smooth is fast" and I thoroughly live by that. Smooth precise actions always result in a smooth operation. I've seen some C&cs that I liked as well and I was on yahtworld.com until 11pm tbe past 2 nights getting a feel for some boats in our price range. As much feel as you can get from a picture. Thank you for thanking me for my service. That will make my day right there.
Usmc_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:44   #35

I'd feel a lot better if your budget were twice what you say it is. Too many things can go wrong and too many different parts can fail on a 30-35 year old $15,000 boat (boat plus maintenance) to be talking about sailing from Florida to the islands, IMO.

How old and cheap a car would you buy to drive from NYC to LA with little more than food and gas money in your pocket for unexpected repairs along the way? Might work for a college student but I can't imagine such a thing at my age.

That said, it's probably easier to get parts for a Hunter or a Catalina and there are lots of internet forums with hundreds owners to assist you. Personally I'd want at least 33'.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:45   #36

Stumble. At what point did you gather that I as going to take zero training, to nor learn how to sail.. To not take any courses. Where did you gather this info that has nothing to do with what i stated in a nutshell. I told you in a nutshell what we were going to do. I shouldn't have to tell you I'm going to learn how to sail.... then buy a sailboat. That should be a given. We are grown ass people. I'm not setting sail on a my vessel until we learn how to sail thoroughly.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:45   #37

Quote:
Obviously I'll only be around Florida for half a year learning how to sail and will slowly progress to the Bahamas and maybe in a year or so make the voyage to USVI.
If you're going to be in South FL, take a look at Sunshine Coast Adventures. You'll get the chance to get your sailing courses and live aboard a sailboat for a week. Then you'll know what to do!

By the way, welcome to the forum!

Mac
Old 12-07-2016, 09:47   #38

Ok thanks. I was really wanting a decent boat and putting a brand new engineand, rigging sails and navigation system. Then again I have no idea how much a sailboat engine can run. I'm sure it's expensive.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:48   #39

Mac thanks, we may actually take vacation to this area and look in to this place. I appreciate that bit of info.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:50   #40

Definitely. I've got 10 years to learn as much as I can.

And already looking at training. Didn't feel tbe need to put that in my header on my question.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:52   #41

Thank you!
Old 12-07-2016, 10:06   #42

Now that's a good idea. Starting very small and working my way up.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:26   #43

Quote:
Ok thanks. I was really wanting a decent boat and putting a brand new engineand, rigging sails and navigation system. Then again I have no idea how much a sailboat engine can run. I'm sure it's expensive.
Well there is the old adage that "Boat" really stands for "Break Out Another Thousand."
Old 12-07-2016, 10:26   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
A new engine on a 35' boat figure $7k plus installation
Sails about $7,500-$10k
Standing Rigging $2-3k
Running rigging 3-5k
Nav system $3-10k depending on what you get. Top flight with all the bells and whistles upwards of $30k
A new mast 30-40k for aluminium

These numbers are very boat dependent so there is a huge range, but none of it is cheap, and any of it can drastically effect the used value of a boat.

Note: when responding to a specific post, please use the quote function. It makes it far easier to follow your thoughts. I am not sure which post you are responding too.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:29   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Stumble. At what point did you gather that I as going to take zero training, to nor learn how to sail.. To not take any courses. Where did you gather this info that has nothing to do with what i stated in a nutshell. I told you in a nutshell what we were going to do. I shouldn't have to tell you I'm going to learn how to sail.... then buy a sailboat. That should be a given. We are grown ass people. I'm not setting sail on a my vessel until we learn how to sail thoroughly.
The first post indicated an intent to immediatly move aboard and be cruising the coast of Florida in the very near future. With the Bahammas quickly thereafter. If that is not your intent then I stand corrected.

'Slow is smooth, smooth is fast' happen to have been in artillery?

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing