Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2016, 19:23   #16

Re: New to Sailing, any info will be helpful

Thanks ill try that.
Usmc_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 19:25   #17

I'd prefer a 35 footer after further research. If you had 20k what would be a few boats you think are sufficient?
Old 11-07-2016, 19:50   #18

Ann, Thank you for that bit of information. To add to my nutshell. We have 10 more years of saving and equity building in our home. We have a large amount of money now I'm just really cheap and have seen some 83 Catalinas going for 9k bit after talking with another gentleman earlier I've raised it to 20k and could even push higher but coming in to this I will not spend over 30k. I'd we buy a sailboat and thoroughly enjoy this as a life choice we will sell it and upgrade to something a little more updates and better. I've watched blogs on people buying 70s model wood boats for 5k and rock and roll all over in it. Hell remember the guy that crossed the Atlantic in a row boat. We are looking at taking sailing lessons in Florida or possibly the next time we fly to St Thomas and at John, also we've looked at sailing certifications, which teach you some sailing and lower some insurance cost.

In your opinion if you were trying to ride 20k what fiberglass vessels would you recommend. Preferably between 34+ ft
Old 11-07-2016, 19:59   #19

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day mate,

You know, I agree that you should go sailing at least a few times before asking what sort of boat to buy and how much you should spend on it.

And even before going sailing, for goodness sake, go to the library or the bookstore and get a basic sailing instructional book. Some like Sailing for Dummies, some like Royce's old book... hell, there are a LOT of good books that cover the basics, and to be blunt, you sound like you really need some basics.

This may sound far fetched, but you sound like someone who has never even ridden in a car, has no idea how to drive and doesn't know how much a car costs to buy or operate and insure... asking whether to buy an old Chevy or an old Ford!

And once you have read the book(s), and then had a couple of sailing days, then come back and let us help you up the sailing ladder. There are a lot of bloody knowledgeable folks here, and they love to help newbies become sailors.

Good luck, and enjoy the ride!

Jim
Old 11-07-2016, 20:59   #20

Boat: Formerly MacGregor Venture 22, now a landlubber

I'm not one to quash anyone's dreams but... I don't like to see anyone set themselves up for failure for lack of knowledge, either.

Why not do a week sail charter somewhere with a skipper? Consider the money well spent as an investment in learning to sail and moreover, if you really want to live on a small boat.

If you do like it, sell the house and possessions, move to FL or another coastal state, rent an apartment for a year and get into a sailing club. Sailors are generally always friendly and looking for crew. Get some experience, see what sort of craft "floats your boat".

No disrespect meant, but what you don't know right now is the proverbial "tip of the iceberg". My advice is spend some time and money, gain some knowledge and experience, and see where it all hashes out in a couple of years.
Dr. Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 21:29   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I am going to try and stay positive here....

1) you are not ready for what you propose. You don't have the knowledge or understanding right now to even understand the answers to questions, let alone know what questions you need to ask.

2) before moving forward take some small boat sailing classes, then charter a sailboat for a few weeks. Get as much time on boats as possible, both pleasure sailing and learning to work on them.

3) after doing this for a year you will start to understand what you need and want in a live aboard.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 22:10   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmc_ View Post

In your opinion if you were trying to ride 20k what fiberglass vessels would you recommend. Preferably between 34+ ft

Better to plan a budget for maintenance cost, 34+ w/ 20k may need some works.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:37   #23

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

It is not easy to look at sailboats. To actually get on one and walk around and touch and feel the boat again is not easy.

Outside the Annapolis boat show I have only looked at about 8 - 10.

Here is what I have found:

1. Annapolis Boat Show is a great place to look and talk to people. Get the VIP pass and spend 3 days there. Run elbows with dreamers and doers. Look at the electrical items, safety items, dingy's, and see the different sizes of boats. The VIP pass gets you an extra day with only other VIP pass holders to get into your way. The problem is these are all new nose bleed expensive boats. But you will be able to walk from a 30' boat to a 33' boat to a 35' boat.

2. Next best place for me was Deltaville Va. There I saw 6 boats. 4 used and 2 new. You can walk the boat yard to see boats in different degrees of repair. People were friendly and very willing to tell you their boats story.

3. Do join the local sailing club. Club members are a clique but easy after awhile to fit in. As they need reliable people I would get called out of the blue to go sailing.

I had lousy luck in Jacksonville Fl. Went to several locked and private marina's. Habor master would not even let me walk the docks looking for boats with for sale signs nor tell me which boats were for sale.

I have, in the past paddled my kayak around some docks to look to see what I could see. You will see dingy's on divits, on the bow on the side and in the water behind the boat.

It helps the process to say 'I was at x marina and saw x boat'.

I am now about 1 hour south of Jacksonville. I plan to join a 'Yacht Club' and get my feet wet that way.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:53   #24

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Even if you choose not to get ASA or USS certified, at least take the basic USCG Auxilary's Sailing and Skills course.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:30   #25

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

First the OP has made it clear that he's just starting to investigate. That is certainly where I started my quest as well. Suspect most of us have been there at some time. So I think that's OK.

The fact that he doesn't understand is appropriate at this stage. The fact that he has a dream and is wanting to learn should be encouraged. Frankly all the learning is why I still enjoy sailing and boats. There are so many options and models.

I do think that your new budget is a good start. Yes you can boat on a 2X4, but the real question is do you want to. There is an infinite scale of pieces and models of boats out there. You can have one that will be as comfortable as your dirt home, or as Spartan as a pup tent. All have appeal depending on your desires and budget.

Also it may be helpful to understand that there are no simple choices or one set of desires. Which again is why the activity continues to intrigue me. Some people are rabid racers and they only enjoy being the fastest and best sailors on the water. Some just want to putz around with a glass of wine. Some hardly ever leave the dock as they enjoy working on the systems.

It's really too early for any of us to tell you specific boats to look at. Frankly there are just too many choices, and you really don't understand what you want yet. For most of us - our boat is a very personal thing. But the quest can be as much fun as the end result. I love looking at boats. Any size, shape, model, or condition. Go look. Check Craigslist, Yachtworld, go talk to every broker you can find. Go to marinas and walk around. It's rare that you'll be stopped from wandering down a marina. You'll likely see a sailor working on his boat. Most will gladly talk with you. After you poke around and inside 10 - 20 boats you'll likely begin to get a feel for what is important to you. Only you will know that.

You can have a decent boat in your new price range. One that you can enjoy and spend any amount of time on. We have a 1987 Hunter 37. We paid in your range. It was tired and has required lots of work and replacement of things. But I enjoy that as much as sailing. I love going and hanging out and making it mine.

Hunters, Catalinas, Oday, and many more are decent solid boats. They aren't boats that you would want to go to Antarctica in or be in a hurricane, but frankly I never plan on being in those conditions. But most any boat can take more than we can. ;-)
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:12   #26

I scanned through these posts and only a post or two had anything to do with what i asked. I've got 10 years to learn how to sail and our next vacation is a sailing vacation. Don't assume that I'm just going to buy a boat and try it out on my own. That's absurd. I know nothing about sailing.

I find it odd that I asked about boats and was attacked for not mentioning training. Does that happen often, people just buy boats and set sail not knowing what they are doing. Very strange responses lol.

If information isn't provided that doesn't mean that it isn't going to take place.

We want a roomie boat but not so large we can't manage. I'm 6'1 inches tall and would like something a little taller in the cabin. I'm a 6 Yr Us Marine and combat vet. Getting cold, wet, hot. Stressed, cramped, deprived, etc is second nature to us. I just want a decent boat. We are minimalist on clothing and oddities and I'm an over packer for food and water and I'm basing this off of our regular camping adventures.

So boats 33ft+ for 20k or good boats for 12k that I can out 8k in to updates navigation systems, sails rigging etc.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:16   #27

Thanks for this response. That what I was looking for. I was told to look at McGregors and by another sailer to stay away from them.

I've seen some endeavors and yahts that I liked also.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:57   #28

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Usmc, first of all, thank you for your service. I remember with great pleasure starting my adventure into sailing. Good for taking on the sailing life.

You asked about boat choices. At your price range you will find many boats from the 1970s and a few from the early 80s. Brand names like Pearson, Columbia, Cal, Catalina, Hunter, C&C, CS come to mind.

Many of these were good boats. Many of the members of this forum sail boats as old or older but all of us (mine is from 1989 and cost more than you are planing to spend right now) spend lots of time and money maintaining them. Considering a used boat of some age is less about brand name and more about the maintenance and condition of any given boat.

I encourage you to pursue this dream. And I agree with the advice to get as much hands on experience as you can before selling your house. To feed your dream in the meantime look at yachtworld.com and search for sailboats in your price range. It is fun and your will learn something of what is available. Also, pick up a subscription to Good Old Boat magazine to get some idea of the projects you will encounter.

I'm not an advocate of the "just go for it" philosophy but I think you are a well tested and reasoned person who can do this if you want to. Take small steps. Start sailing a small boat. Keep going. And, welcome aboard.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:10   #29

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Well any group will get you both great helpful information and some very biased opinions. Also sometimes people have their crosses. But then your question is also pretty common on these forums. So if you've been on the forum for several years you have seen a similar post several times. We all fatigue at the same answers........

Macgregor is one of the few boats I would stay away from. If you are staying in a lake and won't see any weather. Maybe. But when we bought our first boat we looked at a Catalina and a Macgregor. You could flex the hull on the Macgregor with very little hand pressure. I didn't like that.

But the best thing can do now is get knowledge and experience. There have been many ideas and they are all good. Again your method is likely to depend on your personality and how you like to learn. Truth is that you probably could just get a boat and go learn. You wouldn't be the first by any means. It isn't that hard to sail around for a couple hours. You won't be ready for the Americas cup. But you may never want that. I don't. You can read a couple books. Then carefully select a nice calm day and play around. Or you may be the type that wants to be shown every detail. So then you take lessons or crew. All ideas work. The journey is fun and exciting.
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:28   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmc_ View Post
I scanned through these posts and only a post or two had anything to do with what i asked. I've got 10 years to learn how to sail and our next vacation is a sailing vacation. Don't assume that I'm just going to buy a boat and try it out on my own. That's absurd. I know nothing about sailing.

I find it odd that I asked about boats and was attacked for not mentioning training. Does that happen often, people just buy boats and set sail not knowing what they are doing. Very strange responses lol.

If information isn't provided that doesn't mean that it isn't going to take place.

We want a roomie boat but not so large we can't manage. I'm 6'1 inches tall and would like something a little taller in the cabin. I'm a 6 Yr Us Marine and combat vet. Getting cold, wet, hot. Stressed, cramped, deprived, etc is second nature to us. I just want a decent boat. We are minimalist on clothing and oddities and I'm an over packer for food and water and I'm basing this off of our regular camping adventures.

So boats 33ft+ for 20k or good boats for 12k that I can out 8k in to updates navigation systems, sails rigging etc.
Sadly yes it is very common for people to buy a boat having no idea what they are doing, go into open water and get rescued immediatly. If you are giving yourself a few years to learn then ignore everything I criticized above.

If what you want to do is learn then find whatever one person dinghy people near you race and buy two of them ( one for you one for the wife) and go sail the snot out of them. Spend as much time on the water as possible and really learn what you are doing. Even if you don't decide to race, having another boat on the water with you will help you learn as you will make different mistakes and can learn from each other.

So why small dinghies? Because they are far more responsive. Movi weight six inches forward or back gets lost in the noise on a big keel boat but can be felt immediatly on a smaller one. They are also simple, and cheap to rig, and spare parts are orders of magnitude less expensive. You can buy an entire dinghy for less than the cost of one winch on a bigger boat, heck I have bought halyards (line that pulls a sail to the top of the mast) that cost more than a small dinghy will.

Turn your sailing vacation into a camping one. Where you pull the boats up on the beach every night and sail them every day. The camping will probably be at least as comfortable as any boat, and the sailing will be better.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing