Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2018, 06:54   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 36 MS
New Neighbors

Well the winter sailing season has started here in Florida and as such we have snowbirds arriving. I have a boat next to me that has been in storage over the winter while the owners spent the summer back in Canada. They arrived back last week and proceeded to plug into my electrical cord that clearly ends at my boat in a three way. They proceeded to plug in without asking (no problem there happy to share) however it set a pattern of just taking what they wanted. Now having them plugged in would be ok except they had tripped the GFI and did not seem to notice and my batteries were low and my frig warm. I have been on this cord for 5 months with no problems. I reset the GFI and sure enough it tripped almost immediately, I unplugged his cord and reset the GFI and all was good. I asked him not to plug in until he determined his problem. 30 minutes later I lost power and found his cord plugged in and the GFI tripped. I explained that he had a problem and that apparently he could not see when he tripped the power so I set up a fan in my cockpit that he could easily see so that he could walk across the yard and reset the GFI while I went home. This was Saturday on Sunday when I arrived back to the boat he was unplugged and my fan was on. All good. Now I come to the boat Monday after work to see that he had helped himself to my sawhorses and wooden plank that were set up at my transom. He was no where around, so I left a note written in sharpie on the plank to please ask before he borrowed again with my phone number and left everything alone. Now I would have gladly let him borrow them and probably would have helped him set up for what he needed to do, my biggest question is where does this feeling of entitlement come from? I have been around boats and marina's for 45 years and have never just taken something or used someone else's equipment without asking. Now I have used or plugged into electrical cords that were not mine but never left the others stranded.
Outlaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 07:10   #2

Re: New Neighbors

Are you sure he knew it was your equipment?

Some people are just odd fellows. I've used a neighbors ladder on the hard when I forgot mine: I personally never had the thought that it would be an issue (how could I damage a ladder?) and never thought of it as being entitled to anything.

Certainly I wouldn't be upset at anyone for locking their ladders up and not being able to "borrow" one.
odonnellryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 07:30   #3

Two sawhorse set up with a plank laid between them 3 foot from my transom is not clue enough? And yes your use of your neighbors ladder because you forgot yours, unless you have an agreement between you, is feeling entitled to use it. Tell me would you go next door and grab a neighbor's, who you barely knew, Lawn Mower and cut your grass because you failed to get gas?
What makes a boatyard any different when it comes to manners?
Old 31-10-2018, 07:40   #4

Are both of these boats on the hard? Does each boat have a dedicated power outlet?

In all the yards I've ever been in the electrical is 'Community' and everyone shares. Every yard I've been in has a policy that boats are not to be plugged in when the owner isn't present. If you're squatting on the electrical to run your fridge, and leaving, that would really be in poor form.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 07:54   #5

Does not seem to be the policy here and as I said I have no problem sharing my cord. What I have a problem with is having someone plugging in causing a fault and not fixing it or being responsible enough to check that he did not do it again and remedying his problem.
Old 31-10-2018, 08:00   #6

Boat: still searching...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw7 View Post
Well the winter sailing season has started here in Florida and as such we have snowbirds arriving. I have a boat next to me that has been in storage over the winter while the owners spent the summer back in Canada. They arrived back last week and proceeded to plug into my electrical cord that clearly ends at my boat in a three way. They proceeded to plug in without asking (no problem there happy to share) however it set a pattern of just taking what they wanted. Now having them plugged in would be ok except they had tripped the GFI and did not seem to notice and my batteries were low and my frig warm. I have been on this cord for 5 months with no problems. I reset the GFI and sure enough it tripped almost immediately, I unplugged his cord and reset the GFI and all was good. I asked him not to plug in until he determined his problem. 30 minutes later I lost power and found his cord plugged in and the GFI tripped. I explained that he had a problem and that apparently he could not see when he tripped the power so I set up a fan in my cockpit that he could easily see so that he could walk across the yard and reset the GFI while I went home. This was Saturday on Sunday when I arrived back to the boat he was unplugged and my fan was on. All good. Now I come to the boat Monday after work to see that he had helped himself to my sawhorses and wooden plank that were set up at my transom. He was no where around, so I left a note written in sharpie on the plank to please ask before he borrowed again with my phone number and left everything alone. Now I would have gladly let him borrow them and probably would have helped him set up for what he needed to do, my biggest question is where does this feeling of entitlement come from? I have been around boats and marina's for 45 years and have never just taken something or used someone else's equipment without asking. Now I have used or plugged into electrical cords that were not mine but never left the others stranded.
As a fellow Canadian I would like to apologize for their questionable behavior.
Old 31-10-2018, 08:01   #7

Plenty of marinas and yards are lax about enforcing existing policies. I'm not talking about sharing your cord. I'm talking about how many outlets are there in the yard to be shared. You would theoretically have the same problem whether they plugged into your cord or the other lug in the outlet.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 08:04   #8

Yes it would but that is not the issue here the issue is not monitoring a condition that you know you could cause and the inconvenience to others.
Old 31-10-2018, 08:06   #9

Boat: Pearson 10M

Just borrow one of his seacocks, that will solve the problem
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 08:07   #10

deCarabas,
Don't think it's Canadians just a feeling of entitlement. We have these attitudes as well, had someone take my hose and he was an American.
Old 31-10-2018, 08:12   #11

Boat: still searching...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw7 View Post
deCarabas,
Don't think it's Canadians just a feeling of entitlement. We have these attitudes as well, had someone take my hose and he was an American.
Sorry force of habit
Old 31-10-2018, 08:29   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by deCarabas View Post
As a fellow Canadian I would like to apologize for their questionable behavior.
One day the Canadians will take over the world ... then we'll all be SORRY!

No need to apologize for someone that happened to be born in the same general area that you were. In any case, I recommend taking the difficult path of meeting the neighbor, and having a conversation about ownership, sharing, and being a good neighbor. It doesn't have to be confrontational, and why not bring that great social lubricant --- beer. Having a nice conversation about why you were surprised, and disappointed, may lead to a better understanding.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 08:40   #13

I honestly don't see the issue with borrowing a sawhorse or a ladder for a moment. Or someone's hose at the dock, for that matter, if they aren't around.

You aren't going to damage this equipment or cause any wear and tear. If you do somehow, well, buy them a new and better one.

Obviously different if you borrow someone's tools, car, lawnmower ... these are different items.

I wouldn't go onto someone's private property to borrow such an item, but having things in the yard isn't private property.

Obviously I wouldn't untie a ladder from a boat. In my example it was on the ground right next to by boat, unsecured. So I used it for 10 minutes, then put it directly back.

Of course I told the guy when I saw him next. Not a "friend" but I knew who he was anyway.

I wouldn't call this entitled. I would call this the "society I'd like to live in." I have no problem with you borrowing my ladder. Hell, for me anyway - untie it from my boat to use it. No worries.

Entitled would be expecting there to be a ladder available and so not bringing my own even though I easily could (rather than just forgetting it, and having to make a 2-hour trip to go get it).
odonnellryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 08:48   #14

John,
We did speak after his electrical issue I offered him help and even set up a fan so he could tell if he did it again.
Old 31-10-2018, 09:12   #15

odonnellryan,

Yes a quick use with a thank you later, but this guy dismantled my set up which by the way was set in place for a vendor who was coming to install my swim platform this week, and then set it up to paint his bottom and had paint cans and other tools on it. Obviously more than a quick borrow. To me that says I am entitled to use your property without asking.