Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2004, 09:26   #1

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
Question New Mattress

I'm not sure I'm in the right category for this, but here goes...

The boat needs a new mattress or its owners will need an orthopedic surgeon! We had a fabulous mattress made for the previous vessel, but it went with the boat. The manufacturer has a location in Atlanta, but we are in Brunswick, GA.

Has anyone had experience with mattress manufacturers in either Jacksonville, FL or Savannah, GA?
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 16:45   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Try Zeno mattress in Ft Lauderdale. They have an orthopedic foam mattress material that is wonderful. Ours lasted for over seven years.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 12:37   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
My wife and I like a firm mattress and have a 4 inch thick closed cell foam matress. It's indestrcutable and it floats. 4 inch closed cell foam is not cheap! While 2 inches makes a suitable seat cushion at 4 inches it sleeps just fine for me. For a softer cushion add 2 inches of regular synthetic foam. Foam rubber is for the shore.

I'm not sure I see the point of spending money for a good marine inner spring matress. The springs have to be stainless and at that they don't last all that long.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 13:30   #4

Tufted Topper?

Has anybody used the tufted topper? We have dense 4" foam on our berths. It is high quality and offers good support, but is a little hard on the pressure points. We used a soft foam for padding and it helps, but it could still be better.

http://tuftedtopper.com/index.htm
exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 15:13   #5
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Got 4 inches foam with Sunbrella cover....Don't think it is closed cell as they are softer than the cockpit cushions and the cockpit ones are closed cell for sure.

At any rate, sleep like a baby in the V-berth. Much better than in the $5,000.00 bed in the house with the fancy "high-end" mattress, pillows and sheets and all that.

Would not change a thing...
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 05:30   #6

Yesterday we went to Bed Bath and Beyond and bought an "egg crate" that I placed between the mattress and the foam topper. I suspect that is what "exposure" has. After sleeping on it last night, the captain and I agree that it will make a good interim fix until we get back to Ft. Lauderdale in about 6 weeks. Then we can talk to Zeno and whoever else is in that area about a new mattress.

Whatever we buy, it will be foam, not innerspring. I can't see the point to that either.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:43   #7

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Smile

Should you make it back to Ft. Lauderdale in time for the winter boat show, you will find a plethora of fine matress manufacturers at the shows. Three years ago, the wife and I opted for a Palmer mattress. The factory sent a measurer to the boat and sent the mattress to us. To my surprise, it fit like a glove. We have never been happier. I would strongly recommend an innerspring mattress if you cherish a good nights sleep.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 04:03   #8

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
Hand crafted mattress

We have a Hand Craft Mattress Co 6 in multi-layer foam mattress. They came measured and fitted the mattress to the surface. There are some irregularities that they accounted for when consturcting the matress.

It is a sealed so the insdies do no get wet or mold, it is very comfortable. We are cruisers so it makes a big difference as we are sleeping on it daily.

Though this may be embarrings (was for us) go to the boat shows and lie down on all of the mattress styles to see how they realy feel.
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 04:25   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
We use a 6" thick Air-Mattress. Not sure where you'd get it custom cut & glued (to shape), but we love ours.
Not suitable for dual use - settee & berth (not for sitting on).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 08:21   #10

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, S/V Invictus
I prefer my foam mattress aboard to my high priced inner spring one at home (or perhaps I just like sleeping aboard :O).

I had a local canvas maker make me a custom foam mattress for $300 (foam and cut, already had the canvas). It is fantastic. I went to her shop, learned about the different qualities, thickness, densities and firmness of different foams (there is a lot to chose from). Then tried some samples out. I went with mattress quality foam treated for moisture resistance (marine grade?).

So, I had her put together a mattress for my vee berth of 4" medium density foam topped with 2 inches of low density foam. WOW. It is fantastic. It is as comfortable and conforming as 'swedish' foam for a fraction the price. It also gives me plenty of support and does not 'bottom out'. All this can be 'dialed in' by testing different pieces of foam. You can put any combination together you want, any thickness you want. Could get an 8 inch mattress of 2" low density, 4" medium and 2" high density. Could be 3" low, 3" medium. etc etc. Anything. Could not be more custom.

The other advantage is that if I ever don't like it or get tired of it...I can just go get another piece of foam cut to fit the canvas.

Hope this helps

John
John Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 04:46   #11

Captain Bil and John are on the right track. I think it is essential to literally try out the various densities of foam before spending good money on a mattress. We spent about 2 hours at the Verlo store in Naples just laying down on different grades of foam when buying our last mattress, but the end result was exactly what we wanted.

I also like the idea of contacting a canvas shop, although I don't know if they could make a pillow top for us like the previous mattress company did - we really liked that feature. We have the added issue that the mattress requires a hinge so that the captain can get into the engine compartment.

Since we are leaving Brunswick within the next two weeks, it looks like Ft. Lauderdale will the the lucky recipient of our $$.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

« Dolpins | anchor »