Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2011, 08:40   #1

Boat: '75 Catalina 30
New Main - What Type of Sail Slug Should I Use?

So I just got a new sail (10+ years, first new main). The mast has an external slider and apparently I can get a specific type of sail slugs to attach to these runners. Could someone point me to a link/URL that has the type of attachment I need? You can see the new setup from the pic below.
Thanks for any advice.

75c30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 08:51   #2

Re: New Main - What Type of Sail Slug Should I Use?

Why did you buy a sail with the wrong slugs? Ok, nevermind...

Cut off the plastic slugs leaving the nylon webbing unharmed. Stitch the webbing tightly to the steel slugs. Don't get fancy. Just stitch around and around many (15?) times with heavy whipping thread - like a link in a chain. Put the needle thru the face of the web near the sail. Not thru the loop that the slug was in. That part of the web will be bunched up a bit. It will work just fine.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 08:56   #3

Boat: '75 Catalina 30

Thank you. I was hoping to avoid having to cut them off and thought there may be some type of hardware out there. I bought the sail through someone and I didn't have many options. Your advice makes good sense.
75c30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 09:05   #4

Boat: Tartan 41 #68

If you bought the sail from a dealer, they will normally take it back to switch your slugs from the internal shown, to external slugs you need. Give them a call you have nothing to lose. Or any good loft can switch them out. If you arenīt sure what your doing, I would let a sail loft, or the dealer handle that, just my $.02
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 10:11   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Personally, I would consider adding the Tides Marine Strong Track system and having their slugs put on. I put such a system onto my boat in 2004 and it was the best money I ever spent. Never needs service and the sail goes up and down like it was slick glass. Our 56 ft mast cost about $800 and that included installation and sail modification. It's simple enough that the track is a DIY but I just spent a bundle on all new sails and figured the sailmaker could do the job while he was installing and fitting the new sails.

Tides Marine - Sail Track and Slide System - SS_CompleteSys at Marine.com

Even my wife can now get the main to within a few feet of the top without the winch. I have a Dutchman flaking system and when going forward to the anchor I just release the line clutch on the main halyard. It's down and stacked before I reach the foredeck.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 11:49   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Your mast has what is called an "external" sail track as opposed to an "internal" one or "slot". There should be some type of gate or screwed fitting at or near the bottom of your sail track that can be opened to let the sliders come off. Take them off, and attach them ot the new sail. Or, drop off the sail and sliders at a loft and let them do it for you if you're not handy with stitching. If the stitching is not even, and the thread is not right, you'll have sliders pulling off the sail before they should. SHouldn't be an expensive job to drop off at a loft, if there's one anywhere near you. I'd expect a plain upholstery shop would be able to do the job as well.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 12:04   #7

Come on CF'ers. We're cruisers. We should be able to do trivial projects like this with the simple materials at hand (while underway). No running to a sail loft. No new rig parts. This is a simple 2 hour $2 job.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 13:30   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Come on CF'ers. We're cruisers. We should be able to do trivial projects like this with the simple materials at hand (while underway). No running to a sail loft. No new rig parts. This is a simple 2 hour $2 job.
Agreed! this sort of simple job should be within anyone's capabilities. If you don't know how, now is the time to learn. Can't guess how many bits of chafed webbing I've replaced over the years, often under way on long passages.

Don't wimp out!

Cheers,

Tags
sail