Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2013, 19:27   #1

Boat: Little Harbor 53'
New J100 - Rhode Island to Lake Champlain. Anyone Sailed it?

Hi all! we just acquired a new (to us) 2006 J100. We need to sail her from Newport RI area to Lake Champlain. Does anyone have advice on route (hudson or around nova scotia) and time to make the trip?

Thanks!!!!

-Jonathan
Jbingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 04:04   #2

Boat: contessa 32
re: New J100 - Rhode Island to Lake Champlain. Anyone Sailed it?

Hi , J 100 NICE! I have sailed the Rhode Island route via the Hudson to Lake Champlain and on to the Canadian Border. A relatively easy trip and interesting cruising grounds every inch of the way. Ideal would be June/early July departure and return in Sept/Oct., should make a memorable trip with more favorable winds both ways.

I have been contemplating the Northern route for some time and will argue that this will require a significantly higher level of skill and seamanship . I have sailed some in Nova Scotia and Northern (eastern?) Maine and the mariner should be expect :much colder waters. higher frequency of gales,open waters,heavy fog, bold headlands with rockbound coasts, big tides,reduced navigational aids and proximity to repair/haul-out facilities and spectacular scenery to offset the aforementioned difficulties.O yeah, and it must be way longer and more committal.
After typing all the above I now feel vindicated for failing to consummate my own plans but I have next summer open.....so maybe some cruisers with more extensive experience in these Northern waters can help us here.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 05:30   #3

Boat: Hunter 380
Thickest fog I've ever experienced was by Nova Scotia and PEI during a summer cruise. Thought I was about to collide with another vessel when their running lights lit me up. However it was just my running light being reflected back at me. Beautiful area though (if you can see it)
yankee-clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 10:22   #4

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

the current on the St. Lawrence is pretty strong. You really only want to go downriver unless you really like buying diesel and moving along at less than 4 knots.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 07:12   #5

Thanks guys for all the input. I think the best bet for us on our J 100 is to make a week plus journey of it and sail south to the hudson. I am getting feedback that the sail from Bar Harbor to Marion MA is about 3 days with 1 overnight. Im guessing it will be about another 3 to the mouth of the hudson? But lots of places to stop along the way if we run into any issues and lots of friends in Portsmouth NH, Marblehead, Boston and the like along the way. Anyone done the shot down? mrohr how long did the trip up the hudson take? Another 3 or so days? Excited to get out on the water! Closing is Friday and we set sail monday!!! I'll keep everyone posted on our progress or at the least a recap of our journey with times etc!
Old 26-06-2013, 15:58   #6

Boat: contessa 32

Because the Hudson Tides are later as one progresses up the river ,a fair tide can be maintained for the better part of a day if your boat can make 6 or 7 kts.which should get you as far as Kingston before it even gets dark and the tide turns against you.Of course this assumes catching the beginning of the flood near NYC.
You might just get a free city dock in Kingston on Rondout Creek if you plan to eat ashore there.!00 miles in daylight hours time for a break anyhow and its at most 1/2 day to Catskill where many take the mast down for the locks ahead ,because of this necessity ,I doubt that you will get past Catskill on the 2nd day on the river.Can't give times for the rest of the trip that is relevant since much of the next legs were done in quite small boats, one without any motor.

You have me somewhat perplexed with your mention or Marion ,Bar Harbor,Boston and the like,these ports are NOT on your way to the H. river from Rhode Island but as you suggest 3 days is a reasonable time to get to NYC. Since you are from Lake Champlain you already know what a fine unspoiled cruising ground lies ahead but you will be sailing through places that are legendary and deserve more than just a drive by.I'm sure you are keen on getting your new baby into home waters ,but in retrospect you may just wonder "what was the rush". Cheers
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 16:05   #7

Re: New J100 - Mt Desert Island to Lake Champlain. Anyone sailed it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post
Because the Hudson Tides are later as one progresses up the river ,a fair tide can be maintained for the better part of a day if your boat can make 6 or 7 kts.which should get you as far as Kingston before it even gets dark and the tide turns against you.Of course this assumes catching the beginning of the flood near NYC.
You might just get a free city dock in Kingston on Rondout Creek if you plan to eat ashore there.!00 miles in daylight hours time for a break anyhow and its at most 1/2 day to Catskill where many take the mast down for the locks ahead ,because of this necessity ,I doubt that you will get past Catskill on the 2nd day on the river.Can't give times for the rest of the trip that is relevant since much of the next legs were done in quite small boats, one without any motor.

You have me somewhat perplexed with your mention or Marion ,Bar Harbor,Boston and the like,these ports are NOT on your way to the H. river from Rhode Island but as you suggest 3 days is a reasonable time to get to NYC. Since you are from Lake Champlain you already know what a fine unspoiled cruising ground lies ahead but you will be sailing through places that are legendary and deserve more than just a drive by.I'm sure you are keen on getting your new baby into home waters ,but in retrospect you may just wonder "what was the rush". Cheers

ahhh yes. so a quick update on the TITLE of the post. We ended up closing on a boat out of Mt. Desert Island Maine and not the one in Rhode Island. So that hudson aspect of the trip is the same but we are taking a week off of work and sailing south from Mt Desert Island and then up the Hudson! i have updated the title which is a good things since i spelled Rhode island wrong in the first place...
Old 26-06-2013, 16:50   #8

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

My trip a couple of years ago,
Depart Liberty marina 9.00am
Anchor Polpell [Bannerman] Island 8.00pm
Day 2
Depart Polpell 5.15am
Arrive Castleton on Hudson 8.30pm
Day 3
Unstep mast [50$] pass thru Troy Lock and lock 1&2
Tie up Mechanicsville municipal wall 6.40pm
Day 4
Depart Mechanicsville 8.30am
Arrive Whitehall town wall 7.00pm
Day 5
Through lock 12 into the lake.
Enjoy the trip, Bannerman island is an amazing,very unsafe, ruin, quite spectacular. Bruce.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 16:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamgoat View Post
My trip a couple of years ago,
Depart Liberty marina 9.00am
Anchor Polpell [Bannerman] Island 8.00pm
Day 2
Depart Polpell 5.15am
Arrive Castleton on Hudson 8.30pm
Day 3
Unstep mast [50$] pass thru Troy Lock and lock 1&2
Tie up Mechanicsville municipal wall 6.40pm
Day 4
Depart Mechanicsville 8.30am
Arrive Whitehall town wall 7.00pm
Day 5
Through lock 12 into the lake.
Enjoy the trip, Bannerman island is an amazing,very unsafe, ruin, quite spectacular. Bruce.
Thanks Bruce!!
Old 26-06-2013, 17:02   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohr View Post

You know the last part is 100% on the mark. 1 week looks like its turning into 2. :-)
Old 26-06-2013, 17:27   #11

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Can't do it in one week. Even two will mean you have to keep moving. Check your timing going through the East River. If you get it right you will have a favorable tide through the East River that becomes a good tide up the Hudson. Similar situation on Long Island Sound. We went from the CT/RI border to the Brooklyn Bridge on December 23 (but that is a different story) in 17 hours once, in that case it was good luck rather than good management with the tide.

You will need to take your mast down south of Albany. You can do it yourself quite cheaply at the Castleton Boat Club or pay more at a couple of marinas further south. You also will need materials (2x4s and the like) to make mast supports. There may be bits you can use at Castleton but probably best to pick some up beforehand.
Old 26-06-2013, 18:46   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
Can't do it in one week. Even two will mean you have to keep moving. Check your timing going through the East River. If you get it right you will have a favorable tide through the East River that becomes a good tide up the Hudson. Similar situation on Long Island Sound. We went from the CT/RI border to the Brooklyn Bridge on December 23 (but that is a different story) in 17 hours once, in that case it was good luck rather than good management with the tide.

You will need to take your mast down south of Albany. You can do it yourself quite cheaply at the Castleton Boat Club or pay more at a couple of marinas further south. You also will need materials (2x4s and the like) to make mast supports. There may be bits you can use at Castleton but probably best to pick some up beforehand.
One of the benefits of hoarding all your spare lumber after building a cabin. LOTS of spare wood. Great suggestions. Thanks to all you folks for being so helpful. So happy to be back on the water and in the community. Thank you kindly!
Old 09-07-2013, 13:33   #13

I don't know when you plan to do the trip up the Hudson but should make sure the locks are open. I heard this weekend some locks are closed due to high water.
We took the ASA Sailing Courses out of Mallets Bay 14 years ago. We were just sailing Lake Champlain for 4 days over July 4th weekend. Never saw so many boats on the lake. It was beautiful as always.
Good luck on your journey.
kwing514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 17:49   #14

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

I own a J/100 and would like to add the following. Small fuel tank take that into account. Sail drive with racing prop not all that powerful you will have to be careful with adverse currents. Otherwise you are good to go I love the boat. It definitely sails better than it powers provided wind. Make shore you have a way to reef sail a relatively tender boat. Unless you have four big crew on rail you should be reefing by 14-15 knots if beating. ON reach you can spill some wind off main with traveler out and you can run up to 20K. but life will be better if you reef early. Good luck
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 04:52   #15

Sorry for the delayed responses folks! We have literally been on the water non stop! Couple things. Through a miracle of sorts I was able to have the closing from signed P&S, survey, documentation papers to actually owning the boat in 3 days. The boat was loaded by Journeys Boat Yard the same day and delivered the following to Moorings Marina where we keep her.

Now that said, we are going to attempt the trip DOWN the Hudson in September when I hear its favorable again to do so. She's making her way to waterline after a stop in NYC for a late summer early fall vacation.

Some great tips thus far. Does anyone have the name of the marina that can help with taking down the mast? Where exactly does that happen and how long does it stay down, and where does it go back up? Just ordered the Lake Champlain cruising guide and I'm hoping there are details in there to help.

On reefing the main I've noticed your point. I had 16knt winds yesterday and was literally right on the edge! What's the max wind you have been out in on your J100?