Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2016, 17:28   #121

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: New, have $10K, family, and baby want to live aboard...

[QUOTE=zedpassway;2168543]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I used last November's 10% Ethanol in May.........

no problems....but my job at 10 years old was cutting/mowing lawns

/QUOTE]

I've put ethanol in every riding motor that I've had since 1995. I never had an issue. So I said that since I knew all about using ethanol in riding motors why would the motor out on the water be any different?

The website I posted explains exactly why its different than a riding motor for mowing grass.

I get tired of trying to explain it to people who's situation and experience negates it as an issue. But for those of us who are in a fairly select group(as i explained), it is an issue. We know who we are, even if others who haven't had the experience deny it for everyone. And if any of you find yourself in that select group then you have a very good chance of having it become an issue for you too.
I wasn't talking ethanol gas. I was 10 years old .......like mid to late 60's. No ethanol back then when we kept our gas in one gallon glass coke syrup bottles

I'm talking experience with engines and sailing which I think you said earlier doesn't seem to help in sailing in your experience
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 17:37   #122

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I can't make sense of these numbers.
Average house sells for more than $389,000.
>60% of Americans have less than $1,000 in savings?

They don't add up, or do only a small percentage "own" their home?
not real complicated-- selling prices are much higher than cost and the average house is worth less than a third of your absurd number. It usually is hard to make sense of BS.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 17:40   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedpassway View Post
Boat US is only a good source if you have a fuel system like them. Boat US deals largely with people who use motor boats or who have fuel systems with internal metal tanks, and fuel separators and all the stuff that you basically have in your car.

For those with motor yachts, they use enough gas that their fuel systems are like an auto(like a Scout 30 for example).

If you are on a slip where you have ready access in the marina to electricity, to water, and to changing your fuel and buying new fuel, then the ethanol will be a non-problem for you.

If you use a lot of fuel so that that three gallon tank that you have to keep in your cockpit is regularly refilled, then the issues is probably not a big deal for you.

However, for some of us it is. Those of us who use the OB only as a back up for the sail and are unlikely to be using more than 1/3 of the tank throughout the entire sailing season can have an issue. For those of you who are out on a mooring where the moisture of rain and spray is everywhere, and for whom moving the three gallon tank back to the mainland in a little dinghy is something you do at the end of the season, because of the problem with doing it in the weight and the pain of finding some place to drain the unused fuel, ethanol can be a real problem. For those of you on a dinghy in an OB that is disconnected from the fuel line after use, the ethanol can be a problem. For those of you with small OB which does not have a fuel separator, ethanol can be a problem.

For you, you need to look at a website that addresses the issues that you have in your use situation head on:

Marine Problems with E10 Ethanol Fuel Blends.
If you use a gallon or so over the season and insist on using a 3 or 6 gal tank wise up! Get a 1 g gas can!!
Old 18-07-2016, 06:19   #124

Boat: West Wight Potter 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
If you use a gallon or so over the season and insist on using a 3 or 6 gal tank wise up! Get a 1 g gas can!!
In the USA, you cannot buy a 1 gallon tank for the cockpit use. I would if I could. The smallest tank that the EPA permits manufacturers to make is 3 gallons.

I've looked everywhere for something smaller.
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 06:22   #125

Step One: $10K Boat

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/5682946416.html
Old 18-07-2016, 06:31   #126

Quote:
In the USA, you cannot buy a 1 gallon tank for the cockpit use. I would if I could. The smallest tank that the EPA permits manufacturers to make is 3 gallons.

Here ya go Zedpass. I bought one yesterday to put 10% ethanol in for the lawnmower and it's EPA Approved:

Briggs & Stratton 1+ Gallon Gas Can - Walmart.com
Old 18-07-2016, 06:34   #127

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:

You sound like a perfect candidate for electric or propane. Whether you've had fuel problems I recommend keeping your tank full to reduce condensation & running your carb dry if you won't be using the boat for a few days or more. Of course Stabil is a good idea as an anti-oxidant.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 06:42   #128

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Here ya go Zedpass. I bought one yesterday to put 10% ethanol in for the lawnmower and it's EPA Approved:

Briggs & Stratton 1+ Gallon Gas Can - Walmart.com
I'm not sure how you hook that up to an outboard. Even if you do rig something up it would not be legal, safe or smart & would probably void your insurance in case of a fire.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 06:42   #129

Quote:

Just checked e-bay. more than a dozen cans 1.5, 1.25 or 1.0 gal offered for sale including at least one metal one. Don't leave it loose in the cockpit, strap it to a stanchion. I have no idea what a 'tank' is unless it you mean a reserve tank that has a fixture letting you connect a gas line and feed the motor directly. For your level of usage using the tank built into the motor should be fine and you use the gas can to refill the motor tank when needed. The smallest 'tank' I've ever seen was 6 gal. There would be no market for anything smaller.
Old 18-07-2016, 06:44   #130
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I'm not sure how you hook that up to an outboard. Even if you do rig something up it would not be legal, safe or smart & would probably void your insurance in case of a fire.
Goodness.

Pour it into your regular hooked up tank and empty it back into the 1 gallon container when finished...

Its not that hard........its about storage..
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 06:57   #131

Quote:
I agree, you would not want to jury rig some kind of gas line to your motor,
but with low usage the small tank built in the motor should be fine. There is no practical reason to avoid refilling by hand as needed.
Old 18-07-2016, 07:02   #132

Quote:
No experience with small outboards? You pour the fuel into the internal tank.

I bought a new 2011 Mercury 5 HP 4 stroke extra long 25" shaft engine with a 40 oz internal tank. I use this tank when coming and going from the slip. (with 10% ethanol!)

You can also hook up an external tank to it for long distance motoring like when I motor back the 20 miles across the bay when necessary. You just have to turn the switch and close of the vent on the internal tank

http://onlineoutboards.com/mercury-5...otor-4231.html

The Mercury 5hp is a great source of portable power for small skiffs, jon boats, and inflatables. It's also a popular choice as auxiliary power for sailboats as well as trolling/kicker motors for larger fishing boats.

The 5hp shares many 4hp features plus a larger carburetor and propeller for increased performance. The Mercury 5hp delivers outstanding fuel economy and legendary reliability. The 5M model features an integrated fuel tank for true grab-and-go portability. External tank connection is standard providing the ability to add an optional external fuel tank/fuel line.
Old 18-07-2016, 08:06   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Just checked e-bay. more than a dozen cans 1.5, 1.25 or 1.0 gal offered for sale including at least one metal one. Don't leave it loose in the cockpit, strap it to a stanchion. I have no idea what a 'tank' is unless it you mean a reserve tank that has a fixture letting you connect a gas line and feed the motor directly. For your level of usage using the tank built into the motor should be fine and you use the gas can to refill the motor tank when needed. The smallest 'tank' I've ever seen was 6 gal. There would be no market for anything smaller.
You can buy gas cans but they are not legal to use as marine gasoline storage for use in an out board motor. If you get boarded by the USCG or by a warden in US waters you will be cited and will have to pay a fine that exceed any cost you want to pay for doing that. Of course if you are on a lake, this is likely not a problem, but if you sail in coastal waters like I do where there is a USCG presence, you need to pay attention.

The only OB's with internal tanks available today are in the 2 hp range. This is not suitable for a sailboat that has to navigate in tidal waters that move at 3 knots. A 5-6 hp engine requires a portable on board tank that has to be in a ventilated place which is usually the floor of the cockpit. Small sailboats do not generally have Steel internal tanks.
Old 18-07-2016, 08:09   #134
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

And Friends...
This is what happens when forum members act like their kids or grand kids online.
They embarrass themselves regardless of how is right or wrong in the argument that is totally off topic and chase away all the sane posters.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 08:09   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Goodness.

Pour it into your regular hooked up tank and empty it back into the 1 gallon container when finished...

Its not that hard........its about storage..
No offense... but you clearly don't know how this works in a small sailboat with portable marine tanks with a small outboard that has no internal tank.

If you are using ethanol gas the act of pouring it on the open air will expose the gas to an enormous amount of water vapor. Pouring gas in the small cockpit of a moored sailboat or out on the open water is crazy. And quite honestly I can't figure out what you are talking about here. You probably have an internal diesel in a tank in your boat, and you haven't read the website that I posted for the use of ethanol gas.

What would work best would be an external marine tank in the 1.5 gallon range, except that since the new EPA rules went into effect, these are no longer made for sale in the USA, and very very expensive, even if you can actually go to Canada or Mexico to get one. Its actually cheaper to have a steel tank made and install it in your boat, than to buy one of those tanks. And besides that, they are not grandfathered, and are illegal if the USCG stops you for a safety boarding.

Tags
family