Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2016, 18:18   #1

Boat: West Wight Potter 19
New, have $10K, family, and baby want to live aboard...

...and sail around the world.

Why do people ask these questions? Do they think that sailing on the ocean is like sailing on a calm lake that is just a little bigger?

Are people getting dumber, or are they trying for the Darwin Awards?

I'm appalled at how people think that its like buying a used motor home and getting out on the open road.
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 18:45   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: New, have $10K, family, and baby want to live aboard...

Because they're dreamers. Most boat owners are. We keep dreaming of sailing/motoring on that perfect day, going to new exotic places, and so on. The real draw is the adventure books that don't tell it like it is. But then if they did nobody would buy the book. In my area, at least one a month has to rescued in the winter. I often hear calls to the CG from people lost in the fog, ran out of fuel, seasick, etc.
But then many of the motor home owners aren't any better. Try driving the Oregon coast in tourist season.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 18:46   #3
cruiser

Boat: 2007 Beneteau 393 Cyclades

I think it's great to encourage other dreamers to make their dreams come true. However, they do need to be realistic and SAFE.
$10,000 might indeed get them a liveaboard boat. Keep in mind that many liveaboards actually do live aboard a boat but are tied to the dock the entire time. Should their $10k dream home fail them and, heaven forbid, sink, then they are only a footstep away from the safety of the dock. However, the dreamers that want to sail around the world with a $10k boat and a baby... well... let's just say more power to them for using that $10k to get a small intro boat to learn to sail on the weekends. Once they learn what sailing in the open water means (hopefully by solo sailing or at least sailing without the baby) they would probably revisit their dreams of circumnavigation and seriously look into buying a safer boat (personally, I've never known a $10k sailboat that was circumnav worthy).
hogHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 19:03   #4

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

A single step starts the journey. Those that feel all things have to be planned, paid for and perfectly safe before leaving the dock, have very different expectations than the shoestring sailor trying to learn the game while playing it.

I still think we a part of the same club.
Old 13-07-2016, 19:33   #5

I often think that everyone should have their maiden voyage be like mine. Me, my wife, and an experienced sailor took my little boat out into the bay on what was supposed to be a quick 6 mile sail to the mooring.

While we never encountered a storm, we did encounter no wind, with a motor that died of ethanol poisoning, drifting out in the middle of the bay 3 miles from anyone for about 8 hours, and then drifting on the current which would have taken us up on a sharp rocky shore, later that night, in high winds and dense fog. Eventually our channel 16 mayday was heard after our base mast antenna VHF died, and the cell phones were dead, someone heard us on the portable 6 watt vhf, and 90 minutes later, the USCG picked us up.

Our boat has positive flotation, and maybe we wouldn't have died, but it was very very scary. We didn't take the anchor since it was a quick trip, or any real food or anything to stay warm beyond some jackets.

I'm sure that we'll sometime encounter that storm, but having that on a maiden voyage when I thought I had covered every base, changed my view on preparedness, and what can go wrong. We now have many many more kinds of preparation and back-ups that we never thought we'd need when we first started out.

If everyone's maiden voyage ended up needing a rescue by the USCG, maybe more people would be more realistic about their dreams---or at least dreams in a place where falling into the water can mean death.
Old 13-07-2016, 20:18   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

I think out of 10000 people asking these questions, maybe 10 will give things a try and maybe 1 will ever get to the stage where things become possible. I bet fewer.

We had 10k and we sailed the world. And we live aboard too.

Sure here not having a baby helps. Having a boat already helped too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_suc...tupid_question

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 20:21   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
We had 10k and we sailed the world. And we live aboard too.

Sure here not having a baby helps. Having a boat already helped too.
Sounds like you were not in a 22 foot catalina with no sailing experience either.
Old 13-07-2016, 20:38   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedpassway View Post
Sounds like you were not in a 22 foot catalina with no sailing experience either.
Most limited sailing experience. Zero ocean sailing experience, zero cruising experience too. Boat just 2' longer. Not a Catalina. I don't know what Catalina stands for.

People come and ask questions, all the time, not just at CF. It is OK to try and answer, and have some fun when we spot a troll.

Some questions will sure sound odd to us. But it is unfair to judge others by our measure. Very often people have to start somewhere, so they start with asking questions. I think this is the right thing to do.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 23:20   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:

Some questions will sure sound odd to us. But it is unfair to judge others by our measure. Very often people have to start somewhere, so they start with asking questions. I think this is the right thing to do.

b.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 00:00   #10

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I would rather someone start with a $10,000 boat and slowly upgrade their boat and their skills than see someone with no skills simply drop $500k on a boat and head off thinking that technology would look after them....
Old 14-07-2016, 00:04   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I would rather someone start with a $10,000 boat and slowly upgrade their boat and their skills than see someone with no skills simply drop $500k on a boat and head off thinking that technology would look after them....
talking of upgrades, is your boat now completely finished and your enjoying the water again?
Old 14-07-2016, 00:25   #12

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
talking of upgrades, is your boat now completely finished and your enjoying the water again?
Wellllll......... yes I have been out enjoying the water.....however....

I have been advised by 'one who knows about these things' that I arrived in Feb with a very short 'to fix' list.

Current mission critical items.

Fit new mamba autopilot drive... new drive ordered 3 months ago... 4 week lead time from Lewmar UK... at which time my people over there were on 3 weeks hols on the Costa Wotsit. Despatched muy pronto by FedEx at great expense two weeks ago... currently with the aduana in Stiago... hope to have it soon.
Eberspacher spares posted from UK 3 weeks ago... dunno where they have gone.
Windlass still waiting for the windlass man to service.
Converting the top of lowers to tangs rather than swaged T ball thingos.. found a couple of broken strands on arrival. Expect to have that done in late Sept when my rigger - who is also the autopilot/windlass and Eberspacher man- brings the bits back from the UK.
Oh... and the danfoss compressor dropped its bundle a month ago and the local 'fridge man took one look and hasn't been seen since.

Yep, completely finished
Old 14-07-2016, 00:27   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Wellllll......... yes I have been out enjoying the water.....however....

I have been advised by 'one who knows about these things' that I arrived in Feb with a very short 'to fix' list.

Current mission critical items.

Fit new mamba autopilot drive... new drive ordered 3 months ago... 4 week lead time from Lewmar UK... at which time my people over there were on 3 weeks hols on the Costa Wotsit. Despatched muy pronto by FedEx at great expense two weeks ago... currently with the aduana in Stiago... hope to have it soon.
Eberspacher spares posted from UK 3 weeks ago... dunno where they have gone.
Windlass still waiting for the windlass man to service.
Converting the top of lowers to tangs rather than swaged T ball thingos.. found a couple of broken strands on arrival. Expect to have that done in late Sept when my rigger - who is also the autopilot/windlass and Eberspacher man- brings the bits back from the UK.
Oh... and the danfoss compressor dropped its bundle a month ago and the local 'fridge man took one look and hasn't been seen since.

Yep, completely finished
Ah. Just a typical day in boaters paradise then.

Glad your out doing the wet though. I love Westerlys..
Old 14-07-2016, 05:20   #14

Quote:
But it is unfair to judge others by our measure. Very often people have to start somewhere, so they start with asking questions.
This. Judging others by our measure is just asinine. Expecting everyone else to already know what you know, even more so. People need to start somewhere. A decent person will show a little respect and explain to them why they are on the wrong path. A jerk will just call them names and tell them they are stupid.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 05:57   #15
cruiser

More to the point:

Why is it that the people who ask "New, have $10K, family, and baby want to live aboard and sail around the world."

NEVER have any understanding of search engines and search engine techniques?
AD28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
family