Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2016, 08:13   #136

Boat: West Wight Potter 19
Re: New, have $10K, family, and baby want to live aboard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
And Friends...
This is what happens when forum members act like their kids or grand kids online.
They embarrass themselves regardless of how is right or wrong in the argument that is totally off topic and chase away all the sane posters.
Since I am the OP here, I see no problem discussion what we are talking about. Besides the original post was a jesting comment about people who don't know how to read books and expect to do some incredible sailing adventure with inappropriate equipment, in appropriate experience, and inappropriate people aboard, and apparently expect to get everything they need to know about sailing across oceans from an on-line boating discussion board.
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 08:13   #137

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedpassway View Post

The only OB's with internal tanks available today are in the 2 hp range. This is not suitable for a sailboat that has to navigate in tidal waters that move at 3 knots. A 5-6 hp engine requires a portable on board tank that has to be in a ventilated place which is usually the floor of the cockpit. Small sailboats do not generally have Steel internal tanks.
Hey Zed,

Mercury has the 5 hp extra long 25" shaft 4 stroke that runs on 10% ethanol all day long with internal tank. I do use Stay Bill in my external tank though if the I think the gas is going to be in there for a few months

Here's a 2016 model:

2016 Mercury 5 HP 5MXLH Outboard Motor - Mercury 5 HP Outboards - Mercury Outboards - Outboard Motors

Tom
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 08:19   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
And Friends...
This is what happens when forum members act like their kids or grand kids online.
They embarrass themselves regardless of how is right or wrong in the argument that is totally off topic and chase away all the sane posters.
This from the guy that "calls BullS$!T"
Old 18-07-2016, 08:28   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Hey Zed,

Mercury has the 5 hp extra long 25" shaft 4 stroke that runs on 10% ethanol all day long with internal tank. I do use Stay Bill in my external tank though if the I think the gas is going to be in there for a few months

Here's a 2016 model:

2016 Mercury 5 HP 5MXLH Outboard Motor - Mercury 5 HP Outboards - Mercury Outboards - Outboard Motors

Tom
That's very nice, Tom. I don't own one of those. The internal tank on these models holds about a quart, so you can't run all day on them. Since I just recently paid $1700 for a new 6 HP Tohatsu, I'm not planning on buying a 5 HP Mercury. Besides, Tohatsu makes Mercury's engines. The difference between mine and that one is only the carburetor. They do get about 24 mpg, but this means you get about an hour to an hour and a half before you have to refill them. Refilling an OB on a small sailboat means leaning way over the transom, and trying to balance in possibly not the best water. You did understand that, right.

I'm glad that this works for you. For many of us, it does not.
Old 18-07-2016, 08:29   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Here ya go Zedpass. I bought one yesterday to put 10% ethanol in for the lawnmower and it's EPA Approved:

Briggs & Stratton 1+ Gallon Gas Can - Walmart.com
This is not approved by the USCG for marine use. Apparently you don't understand the difference between a gas can and a portable marine gastank. Very very different item. Its illegal to carry one of those on a boat.
Old 18-07-2016, 08:35   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
You sound like a perfect candidate for electric or propane.
Actually I Have a Torqeedo 1003L with two Lithium Ion batteries as back up for the gas engine.

It works great if the wind is not too strong, the tide is not flowing along with the wind, and you don't need to go more than about 5 miles. However, I have not tried using it pulling a dinghy, against a 3 knot tide, and a 15 knot wind, which is a common occurrence where i sail.

Propane sounds great, but the Lehr engines are not build from the ground up for propane. They are modified Yamaha gas engines, and some work and some don't. My Honda mechanic has two in his shop(he also sells Lehr), and for the life of him he can't seem to get them to run right. He can fix gasoline engines with one hand behind his back, and with his eyes closed.
Old 18-07-2016, 08:51   #142
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
No offense... but you clearly don't know how this works in a small sailboat with portable marine tanks with a small outboard that has no internal tank.

If you are using ethanol gas the act of pouring it on the open air will expose the gas to an enormous amount of water vapor. Pouring gas in the small cockpit of a moored sailboat or out on the open water is crazy. And quite honestly I can't figure out what you are talking about here. You probably have an internal diesel in a tank in your boat, and you haven't read the website that I posted for the use of ethanol gas.
Firstly, Im not subject to USCG. Secondly, I use ethanol fuel all the time and Im very aware of the issues, and yes, I know how to fill a petrol tank and empty it relatively safely. There was that one time in Brighton... but I digress....Thirdly, you seem bent on proving whatever point it is that you want to make.

Here, let me make it easy for you.... DONT DO IT.

Problem solved.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 08:53   #143

Quote:
That's very nice, Tom. I don't own one of those. The internal tank on these models holds about a quart, so you can't run all day on them. Since I just recently paid $1700 for a new 6 HP Tohatsu, I'm not planning on buying a 5 HP Mercury. Besides, Tohatsu makes Mercury's engines. The difference between mine and that one is only the carburetor. They do get about 24 mpg, but this means you get about an hour to an hour and a half before you have to refill them. Refilling an OB on a small sailboat means leaning way over the transom, and trying to balance in possibly not the best water. You did understand that, right.

I'm glad that this works for you. For many of us, it does not.
You plug in the external tank for long distance cruising. My external holds 3 gallons but I rarely put more than a couple gallons in it

You can go from internal to external simply by hooking up the external hose, flipping the switch, pumping the fuel bulb, then closing off the vent on the internal tank. (remembering to open the vent on the external) All this while the engine is still running

I bought the Mercury instead of the Tohatsu specifically for the internal tank....which I mainly use for entering and exiting the slip

Btw, I refill my internal quite often while moving in the right conditions. I've been doing this for a least 5 years
Old 18-07-2016, 09:07   #144

Quote:
This is not approved by the USCG for marine use. Apparently you don't understand the difference between a gas can and a portable marine gastank. Very very different item. Its illegal to carry one of those on a boat.
I'm not seeing where it is illegal to carry an approved EPA plastic gas can on a boat. (as long as it's under 7 gallons) You see 5 gallon plastic gas jerry cans strapped to the decks of sailboats quite often for use on dinghies etc
Old 18-07-2016, 10:33   #145

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Per zedpass "if you use a lot of fuel so that that three gallon tank that you have to keep in your cockpit is regularly refilled, then the issues is probably not a big deal for you.

However, for some of us it is. Those of us who use the OB only as a back up for the sail and are unlikely to be using more than 1/3 of the tank throughout the entire sailing season can have an issue."

Ethanol is considered an issue by many outboard makers but age is a far bigger issue. Gas that is 2 or 3 months old may go bad and gum up your carburetor. If you leave an outboard unused for a couple of months there is a good chance it will not start because the gas in the tank went bad. If it smells like kerosene you have a problem, dump the old gas. Do not crank the motor and move it into your carb. It is very simple, diesel can be stored for years if you can keep algae out. Gas has a limited shelf life. Filling any container once and using it over 3 or more months is asking for trouble.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 10:38   #146
CLOD

Boat: none

The last 2 years I put away my outboard for the winter and in the Spring after 5 months it started on the first couple of pulls. I didn't take the old gas out, just topped it off with new.
Old 18-07-2016, 10:43   #147
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post

Ethanol is considered an issue by many outboard makers but age is a far bigger issue. Gas that is 2 or 3 months old may go bad and gum up your carburetor. If you leave an outboard unused for a couple of months there is a good chance it will not start because the gas in the tank went bad. If it smells like kerosene you have a problem, dump the old gas. Do not crank the motor and move it into your carb. It is very simple, diesel can be stored for years if you can keep algae out. Gas has a limited shelf life. Filling any container once and using it over 3 or more months is asking for trouble.
+1

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 10:48   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Per zedpass "if you use a lot of fuel so that that three gallon tank that you have to keep in your cockpit is regularly refilled, then the issues is probably not a big deal for you.

However, for some of us it is. Those of us who use the OB only as a back up for the sail and are unlikely to be using more than 1/3 of the tank throughout the entire sailing season can have an issue."

Stabil protects ethanol gas for a year.

I've let gas sit in the external tank for 6 months over the winter after adding Stabil then use it up in the Spring (for the last 4 Winters)

I do run the "carb dry" (switch off the gas) on Winter periodic starts though but not in Summer

Stabil Info:

Five STA-BIL Myths, Debunked. Get The Real Fuel Stabilizer Story | Gold Eagle
Old 18-07-2016, 13:40   #149
cruiser

'Just glad we have a Mercury 15hp two stroke.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 20:13   #150

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogHunter View Post
I think it's great to encourage other dreamers to make their dreams come true. However, they do need to be realistic and SAFE.
$10,000 might indeed get them a liveaboard boat. Keep in mind that many liveaboards actually do live aboard a boat but are tied to the dock the entire time. Should their $10k dream home fail them and, heaven forbid, sink, then they are only a footstep away from the safety of the dock. However, the dreamers that want to sail around the world with a $10k boat and a baby... well... let's just say more power to them for using that $10k to get a small intro boat to learn to sail on the weekends. Once they learn what sailing in the open water means (hopefully by solo sailing or at least sailing without the baby) they would probably revisit their dreams of circumnavigation and seriously look into buying a safer boat (personally, I've never known a $10k sailboat that was circumnav worthy).
i'm thinking/hoping it's real doable.. spent 7k on ebay for my boat and leaving this year if i have to row there. found what i believe to be a great bargain was donated to charity. new diesel, head , genoa, alcohol oven/stove and putting a lot more in it but that is my choice.. ie windlass, dodger etc. I know of a cal 34 that's doable as well and i'm sure there are a bunch of other blue water boats that will get you there for that kind of cash.. i'm trying to kiss but gonna be my home i hope for a long time and want it right and i'm going one up on the recommended sizes for most everything. all the best

Tags
family