Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010, 10:55   #1

Boat: Island Packet 31 (35'), Black Squirrel
New Gauges

I am looking to add gauges for water, and waste (black/grey), and propane(if possible). Given the unique properties of sailing, if you have a preferred vendor or setup for success (or failure) I would like to hear it. My RV has a simple panel for water/waste/propane and something like that is what I was expecting.

I was somewhat bemused when I was told to lift the cushion and open the tank to see how much water. When I mentioned waste it was "Oh, just don't let it get full - you never want to open that in the boat."

Finally - for fuel. Given the guage and sensor is 20+ years old, should I replace it or as long as it is working leave it alone?

Kefaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:01   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I bought the "Heart Tank Tender" for my water, fuel, and waste tanks...they are a bit pricey ...I haven't installed mine yet, but they are widely used and well regarded as far as I can see.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:46   #3

Boat: C&C 35 Mk.II
I've also heard good things about the Tank Tender and am hoping to get my hands on one for my next boat. I don't trust electronic senders anymore, especially the fuel level variety. But as long as it's working, no point in replacing it....

For the propane, a squirt bottle of cold water works reasonably well- set it to a very fine mist, spray it at the tank, and the condensation on the tank will reveal the fuel level. This works best if done immediately after using the gas system, when the tank is cold from the evaporating propane. The only other ways I can think of are a scale under the tank (finicky) or a float gauge inside the tank (finicky, rare and expensive).
Old 12-02-2010, 13:08   #4

Boat: Jefferson Motoryacht 45' Whatever!
We recently replaced the fuel sending unit and gauge, added a water tank and waste holding tank senders and gauges to our boat. We bought all three thru Wema, excellent prices and quality products, so far. We are pleased.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote