Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 10:08   #91

Re: New Florida Anchoring Amendment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Maybe has something to do with the now legal backyard DIY gun ranges???
Huh!?! Has nothing at all to do with backyard gun ranges. It has to do with elitist homeowners, and the politicians in their pockets, who don't want the view from their million-dollar, waterfront homes dirtied up with boats owned by peasants. They want to be able to control their view, by controlling what is on the water within their view. In other words, they bought an expensive home and they think that also buys them the right to dictate what the public is allowed to do, in public areas, that happen to be within sight of their home.

<TANGENT ALERT!>

As far as backyard gun ranges go, they are not "now legal." Despite what the press would like you to believe, the laws concerning backyard gun ranges haven't changed since the late 80s.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:21   #92
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Want a backyard shooting range? Florida law makes it easy

Fire away!

My larger point is the FL legislature has gone out of its way to prevent local towns or counties from protecting it's citizens from real dangers, but has no issue allowing any kind of crazy anchoring laws.

And you could see I a guy in a rural county claiming he needed his property clear for what a few miles of anchored boats to avoid hitting them if he misses his target.

No doubt FL law would protect him from any liability.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:10   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
My larger point is the FL legislature has gone out of its way to prevent local towns or counties from protecting it's citizens from real dangers...
No, they have tried to prevent towns and counties from creating a patchwork of differing laws that no one could possibly keep track of. And, again, the laws concerning gun ranges haven't changed in almost 30 years. What's bad about the amendment that was proposed to SB 1126 is that it would ALLOW exactly the sort of crazy patchwork of different laws that the legislature has tried to prevent in other cases. That's why it needs to be defeated.

And since you seem intent on trying to relate this to gun laws in some way, what's really needed here is a preemption law like that which was passed (nearly 30 years ago) concerning gun control. That law made it illegal for any town or county to legislate concerning guns, specifically BECAUSE it had become impossible for a gun owner to know what the law was, or where it changed, as he moved about the state. The same sort of preemption is needed concerning boating legislation, so that we boaters can know, as we move about the state, that we aren't suddenly subject to some arbitrary, unexpected, and idiotically restrictive local law. Boating, because of the fact that you can so easily move from one jurisdiction to another without even realizing it, would seem to be an ideal area for exactly this sort of preemption.
Old 07-05-2014, 19:01   #94

Boat: Gulfstar 50

As a commercial tug Captain I am not allowed to just dock anywhere I please. But if I feel like there might be any risk at all for whatever reason then I can throw a line on any dock, commercial or otherwise, and that facility shall accommodate my vessel's presence. Even if it means providing a twic security officer at their own expense. That is Federal Law and it trumps the state every time. Period.

The same goes with anchoring my sailboat. If I am too tired to safely carry on or feel as though the 8 knot breeze could put my vessel or crew in peril, then I can freely anchor my boat where I need to as long as it is not in a navigable channel. No local water cop is going to tell me otherwise. If he/she disagrees then they can simply contact the Coast Guard for an education on long standing Federal Navigation Laws. This of course is if you want to make a stink about their little ordinances, which I highly recommend. With a little unity, boaters can render their local or state laws irrelevant.
Aslan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 19:29   #95
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I think there is something about a 72 hr safe harbor law or something. In all honesty, the proposed ordinances are to keep mostly unpleasant looking boats out of people's view.

They are generally anchoring for years at a time until they eventually break loose then the local property tax payers have to pay the removal. So there is a legitimate reason to have some regulation, but also preserve the right to anchor for a few nights for the enjoyment and freedom of owning a boat.

what concerns me is the type of boater that "loves moorings" now that's fine for them but not for everyone. Unfortunately our legislators seem to believe all boaters should love moorings. Hopefully we will be able to enjoy a few more generations of boating as usual in florida without too many more mooring fields clogging state and federal waterways.
Old 07-05-2014, 20:03   #96

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: New Florida Anchoring Amendment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
... The same goes with anchoring my sailboat. If I am too tired to safely carry on or feel as though the 8 knot breeze could put my vessel or crew in peril, then I can freely anchor my boat where I need to as long as it is not in a navigable channel. No local water cop is going to tell me otherwise. If he/she disagrees then they can simply contact the Coast Guard for an education on long standing Federal Navigation Laws. This of course is if you want to make a stink about their little ordinances, which I highly recommend. With a little unity, boaters can render their local or state laws irrelevant.

If only.

No offense Cap, but beating yer chest here is one thing. Brow-beating the water cop quite another. This issue won't be won by a boater on the water.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:20   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
No local water cop is going to tell me otherwise.
Yeah, good luck with that. Giving an attitude like this to a guy with a gun and a badge is a really good way to spend a night in the local gray-bar hotel. You may win in the long-run, but in the short-run you are going to LOSE!

You win this kind of argument in a courtroom. Nowhere else.
Old 08-05-2014, 13:05   #98
cruiser

Hey, I'm all for it. Asian, I think you should stop being pushed around by those punks with badges and guns, stand up to them, and assert your rights!
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 13:06   #99
cruiser

Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, florida, men