Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-04-2014, 17:30   #61

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: New Florida Anchoring Amendment!

Unfortunately, but not surprising, the same amendment showed up on the house for vote tomorrow.

BoatUS Government Affairs - Anchoring in Florida is Under Attack!

Old 22-04-2014, 17:32   #62

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
You made me think of Snoopy doing the happy dance!!!

Now for a glass of nice wine! (and yes, Trader Joe's wine is nice, IMO)

Old 22-04-2014, 17:43   #63

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Cheers. now if I can just get Linus's piano playing out of my head
Old 22-04-2014, 17:45   #64
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I just checked the state website. It says amendment was withdrawn and has no other info about the bill being voted on by the senate.

I read the Boat US thing. It REALLY annoys me that patchwork laws are OK and currently legal for St Augustine, but a real bummer for Broward and Miami.
Old 22-04-2014, 17:47   #65
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
One of the things I liked about passing through St Augustine was the wide diversity of vessels. Last time I passed through there were a couple of day sailors and a bunch of ugly moring balls. The studies are showing that even if the balls are full, the tackle, upkeep and administration fees are so costly that it's hard to break even.
No worries if you can't break even at current rates. You just need more laws to restrict anchoring and then just raise rates. I reckon around $70 a night will be the sweet spot.
Old 22-04-2014, 17:50   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
No worries if you can't break even at current rates. You just need more laws to restrict anchoring and then just raise rates. I reckon around $70 a night will be the sweet spot.
I think you will see this thrown over on the "conservation" ticket. When all else fails, they are "saving" underwater plants, species fish, coral, sand, etc.... they never give up.

They did this in Mallorca Spain... once free, now $50 a night...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 18:06   #67

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post

I left out a place to dock your dinghy, liability insurance, and a pumpout vessel. And let's not forget the costs to local businesses that lost' customers because of these outrageous fees. I just want to add that in Sarasota the condo association is trying to get rid of the anchored boats. But almost every tourist brochure shows the anchored boats. Sorry to keep adding to my post but I also want to say that they tried putting in a mooring field but the idiots used helex (sp) moorings in soft mud. Which needless to say failed costing the city hundreds of thousands of dollars. This was years ago so I don't know the current status
Old 22-04-2014, 21:16   #68
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
Jammer Six

Your argument seems to be that under your constitution, the residents of a local county are the only people with a valid say in how "their" waterways are used.

If I have got that correct, what stops your argument being equally valid to support them choosing to fish with dynamite?

If that's OK, how about with cyanide?

OK? Radioactive waste, then?

Pretty sure there's nothing in the constitution trampling on those particular "rights".
You don't actually understand why we went to war with you back in the day, do you?

Our laws don't say what you can do. They say what you can't do. That's point one. Point two is that our constitution is, in contrast with yours, A) written down, and B) limits the federal government, not the citizens.

We limit our government, not our citizens. That one single fact creates a point of view about politics and law that is completely different from yours.

Even our citizens from Texas, who are completely nuts, don't (usually) have a problem passing state laws that limit things like radioactive waste.

But it's up to them to do so.

And that last statement is both the solution and the problem with threads like this one.

Fortunately, most American politicians are aware of who elected them, and simply discount any snide comments, emails or whining from folks who don't belong to their constituency.
Old 22-04-2014, 21:32   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
You don't actually understand why we went to war with you back in the day, do you?
I don't think I come from the place you seem to think. If you drill a hole through the centre of the earth from where the people you're thinking of go on holiday "to smear Timothy White suncream on their puffy white purulent flesh because they overdid it on the first day", it'll come out where I come from.

We went to war "with" you, on several occasions, but one of them in particular was notable because our boys were persuaded to go off and die in Africa while, to make that possible, your boys were sent to 'defend our shores' (from an enemy which never made it south of Singapore), whiling away the idle hours teaching the finest flower of our young undefended womanhood to jitterbug and chew gum.

There were only three things wrong with 'your' boys, according to the parents of 'our' boys: they were 'overpaid, oversexed, and over here'

Remind me again what your post has to do with what was being discussed; I seem to have distracted myself.
Old 22-04-2014, 21:36   #70
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
There were only three things wrong with 'your' boys, according to the parents of 'our' boys: they were 'overpaid, oversexed, and over here'
The American version of that is that your boys were "underpaid, undersexed, and under Eisenhower."
Old 22-04-2014, 22:08   #71

Quote:
You are conceding, then, that there is no section of the national constitution regarding navigable waters? (See United States v Rands)

And that, therefore, the claim that national rights regarding navigable waters being enumerated in the national constitution is false?

(Is that popcorn ready?)
Nope. It's there. The Supreme Court under Article III of the Constitution gets to determine what the Constitution says. And they have ruled multiple times that the Commerce Clause of the Constitution includes federal control of navigable waters.

So "navigable waters" is in the Constitution because the Supreme Court says it is - even if you can't find the words in the text.

Old 22-04-2014, 23:10   #72
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
So "navigable waters" is in the Constitution because the Supreme Court says it is - even if you can't find the words in the text.
I think you're confusing two separate sources of law.

Even by your logic, though, this whole thread is moot. There would still be no need to fight Florida's propositions, because they would be unconstitutional-- Florida would not have the right as a state to limit a federal resource. But they do.
Old 22-04-2014, 23:30   #73
cruiser

I concede the point, and stand corrected. I'm no longer certain of my position.
Old 23-04-2014, 04:55   #74
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Fortunately, most American politicians are aware of who elected them, and simply discount any snide comments, emails or whining from folks who don't belong to their constituency.

That would apply to forums 99.9% of the time.
Old 23-04-2014, 06:18   #75
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

OK folks, we're halfway there. The FL Senate, as noted, passed a clean bill yesterday without the 'Margolis Amendment' which was withdrawn. Now it's moved to the FL house where the same amendment is being attached to their version of the bill. We need everyone to call and/or write to members of the FL House asking them to pass a CLEAN HB955 without any amendments. BoatUS, NMMA, and SSCA's CCC are spearheading this but we all need to pitch in. They need to hear from cruisers, especially those who vote in Florida.

Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, florida, men

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: