Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2015, 10:57   #1

New Dinghy - Lots of questions

1) Sometimes I'm going to have to tow the dinghy. Any suggestions for the distance behind it should be towed and also the breaking strength for the line?

2) The dinghy came with a Sabot style rig where the sail slips over a round mast, but with no sail. I was just given a great condition El Toro style rig with a sail track and square mast. Obviously the square mast doesn't fit into the round hole. I can either modify the sail or change out the mast well. Any preferences for one rig over the other, or any other advice?

3) What about reefing? I live in the SF Bay and it gets awfully windy here in the summer. There are times where I'd like to have a comfortable sail in a blow. Any suggestions with either rig for how to create a reefing system?

4) Any suggestions for building or finding an appropriate bow protector?

5) And finally, the great mystery. The people who sold me the dinghy said it was a Fatty Knees. She's not. According to the HIN, she was made in July 1977 in Norfolk, MA by a company called "Micro Marine". The company also went by the name "MZ Marine Woodworking" and was apparently owned by Bill Hullbig. Does anyone know _anything_ about this company or the dinghy's the built?

Thanks!

ericson_adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 11:07   #2

Boat: Privilege 435
Re: New Dinghy - Lots of questions

Always use a polypropylene rope for towing a dinghy. Polypropylene floats, so in theory even if your dinghy catches up with your mother-yacht, the bridle will not get caught in the props.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 13:08   #3

Boat: Westsail 28
Re: New Dinghy - Lots of questions

There is a chapter in this excellent book http://www.amazon.com/Sailors-Sketch...BMKAAEMM0J4CW6 on towing hard dingys , and answers to alot of your questions .
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy