Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2016, 08:52   #1

Boat: hunter
New Border Crossing Procedures Now In Place For Pleasure Boats

Just a FYI U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), Office of Field Operations announces new procedures that are coming to the inspection process for foreign flagged private boats. These procedures will be in addition to the reporting process currently in place.
All operators of pleasure boats must report to CBP immediately upon arriving into the United States from a foreign port, place or location; or if they had contact with another vessel outside the U.S.; or if they have received merchandise outside U.S. territorial waters. Foreign flagged pleasure boats must also make a formal vessel entry on CBP form 1300 within 48 hours and pay applicable fees. At the time of entry boaters may request a cruising license from the applicable CBP port director.
“The cruising license will greatly facilitate multiple entries during the year and avoid additional fees for boaters,” said Bellingham Port Director Diana Sandoval.
A cruising license may be available to boats departing from Canada and arriving in the Puget Sound area. A cruising license may exempt foreign flagged pleasure boats (from certain countries) from having to undergo formal CBP entrance and clearance procedures, except at the first CBP port of entry each and every year. Cruising licenses are normally valid for one year.
The operator of a foreign flagged or undocumented foreign pleasure boat without a valid U.S. cruising license must obtain CBP clearance before leaving a port, place or location in the United States to depart to foreign waters or must obtain a permit-to-proceed if traveling to another port, place or location within the United States.
The master, or operator, of a foreign flagged boat not traveling under a cruising license will be required to file a formal entry and clearance each time they enter the United States, file the appropriate paperwork and pay the applicable fees.
Foreign flagged boats traveling under a cruising license would not be required to purchase a CBP decal, which is currently $27.50 for the year.
rvoigt40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 09:40   #2
cruiser

Re: New Border Crossing Procedures Now In Place For Pleasure Boats

Over the course of my life the federal government has gotten much, much larger and more intrusive while becoming much, much more incompetent. Just look at the past two presidents and the leading candidates in both parties and compare them to Eisenhower or Truman.

Instead of welcoming foreigners (and their money) we insist they must be licenced (and pay for the privilege) to move about in what is supposed to be a free country. Very sad, in my opinion.

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 09:45   #3

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Sad indeed.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 10:17   #4

Boat: Custom Catamaran

On the plus side, us "aliens" coming over your side of the Pond this year won't have to check in at every. single. port. at the local CBP office, so that's a bonus (To be honest, we never did last time we were Stateside but things have changed a bit since then).

n
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 11:11   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Olson 30

I'm having trouble understanding the requirement.

First, does it say that I can get a Cruising License BEFORE I leave Canada?

And if I can do this, does it mean that I don't have to stop at an official port of entry when entering the US?
Old 29-01-2016, 11:33   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

^^^It seemed a little unclear to me, too, but you can't go wrong contacting them in the first US port, even if you do have the license ahead of time.

Fwiw, in the first days we were visiting Australia, we were required to check in with all the Customs ports, after our cruising permit had been issued in the first entry port. In the beginning, it was in person, later, by telephone. Regulations keep changing, also for Immigration. It is only intrusive if you let it be. (And the Oz Quarantine fee is ridiculously high!)

Ann
Old 30-01-2016, 00:45   #7

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
(And the Oz Quarantine fee is ridiculously high!)
Try taking a dog back to Aus! And I'm an Australian! I guess they need to make up for the drop in iron ore prices...

n
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 04:02   #8

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolish View Post
It seems to say that, if you are in the Puget Sound area:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoigt40 View Post
A cruising license may be available to boats departing from Canada and arriving in the Puget Sound area.

Quote:
And if I can do this, does it mean that I don't have to stop at an official port of entry when entering the US?
I think you still need to stop and report at an official port of entry:
Quote:
All operators of pleasure boats must report to CBP immediately upon arriving into the United States from a foreign port, place or location; or if they had contact with another vessel outside the U.S.; or if they have received merchandise outside U.S. territorial waters. Foreign flagged pleasure boats must also make a formal vessel entry on CBP form 1300 within 48 hours and pay applicable fees.
You may be able to report by phone (and avoid having to stop) if you have a Nexus card or register with SVRS.
Old 30-01-2016, 04:03   #9

Quote:
It seems to say that, if you are in the Puget Sound area:
Quote:
A cruising license may be available to boats departing from Canada and arriving in the Puget Sound area.

Quote:
I think you still need to stop and report at an official port of entry:
Quote:
All operators of pleasure boats must report to CBP immediately upon arriving into the United States from a foreign port, place or location; or if they had contact with another vessel outside the U.S.; or if they have received merchandise outside U.S. territorial waters. Foreign flagged pleasure boats must also make a formal vessel entry on CBP form 1300 within 48 hours and pay applicable fees.
You may be able to report by phone (and avoid having to stop) if you have a Nexus card or register with SVRS.
Old 30-01-2016, 05:17   #10

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41

Is this not the same thing US folk have to do when we go to other countries?
Salty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 05:47   #11

Boat: Mirage 35

Related thread at:
http://http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f57/attn-canadians-you-now-need-a-cruising-permit-to-enter-the-us-159232.html

When someone actually figures this out, a quick primer would be appreciated by those of us who have spent time on the CBP website trying to understand.
Old 30-01-2016, 07:22   #12

Boat: Triangle 32, center-cockpit ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. Nolan View Post
Over the course of my life the federal government has gotten much, much larger and more intrusive while becoming much, much more incompetent. Just look at the past two presidents and the leading candidates in both parties and compare them to Eisenhower or Truman.

Instead of welcoming foreigners (and their money) we insist they must be licenced (and pay for the privilege) to move about in what is supposed to be a free country. Very sad, in my opinion.

Paul
Paul, this is politics, not cruising. Related somewhat to the post, yes, but as soon as you add the "Just look at the past two presidents and the leading candidates in both parties", I think you cross the line. PLease don't.

History judges elected officials far more favorably than the current electorate ever does - and both Eisenhower and Truman were roundly and commonly vilified by their numerous detractors in their own time. I'd like to ask that we all stick to what we know - boats - and leave the rest to other forums.
kjdavie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 08:05   #13

This is the security/safety versus privacy/independence rubric that all countries deal with. Seems to me that this cruising permit reduces the hassle and expense of checking in with every port when in US waters. I've done a little cruising in Mexico, and such a system there would be very helpful.

Though the instructions are written in bureaucratic 'we'll tell you what it means when we figure it out' language, this seems like an improvement to me.
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 08:06   #14

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

If you live on or near the border and cross frequently or even infrequently, get a Nexus card.

When you are between 30 minutes and 4 hours of arriving in either the US or Canada you can report by phone. US Citizens can call in and go wherever, no need to physically report to a station. US Citizens entering Canada call in and go the reporting dock. If they want to inspect you, there will be someone at the dock, if no one is there, go on about your business.

In addition, the Nexus card gets you in to the fast lane when driving across the border, makes you eligible for the TSA Pre Check program when traveling by air, and allows you to use Global Entry kiosks when clearing customs at airports.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2016, 08:15   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lochner View Post
When you are between 30 minutes and 4 hours of arriving in either the US or Canada you can report by phone. US Citizens can call in and go wherever, no need to physically report to a station. US Citizens entering Canada call in and go the reporting dock. If they want to inspect you, there will be someone at the dock, if no one is there, go on about your business.
This is not entirely correct. Even with a Nexus card, when you call in you may be instructed to proceed to an official Port of Entry for inspection. It's up to CBP's discretion.