Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2016, 21:31   #31

Boat: Moody 47
Re: New Border Crossing Procedures Now In Place For Pleasure Boats

We attended the Seattle boat show today and spoke to the customs agent there. He said that upon your first entry into the US from Canada you will have to have your boat inspected. After that you can report in by phone. If you don't fill out the new form there is a $19.00 US fee for entry and a $19.00 fee to exit. With the form I believe there is no charge, just the once per year inspection. He also offered a toll free number for anyone with questions regarding this. The number is (888) CANPASS or Welcome to the Canada Border Services Agency | Bienvenue à l'Agence des services frontaliers du Canada

Hope that helps.
Old 31-01-2016, 02:47   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavereater View Post
Just tell them you're undocumented boater looking for work. Everything will be fine.
Would you mind explaining that a bit for us ignorant foreigners.
What's an Obamaphone ?
bustermaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 03:52   #33
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdavie01 View Post
Paul, this is politics, not cruising. Related somewhat to the post, yes, but as soon as you add the "Just look at the past two presidents and the leading candidates in both parties", I think you cross the line. PLease don't.

History judges elected officials far more favorably than the current electorate ever does - and both Eisenhower and Truman were roundly and commonly vilified by their numerous detractors in their own time. I'd like to ask that we all stick to what we know - boats - and leave the rest to other forums.
" Please don't"? Then in the very next sentence, you go on to do that which you claim to abhor: "Both Eisenhower and Truman were roundly and commonly vilified..." blah, blah...

I stand by what I said.

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 04:46   #34

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. Nolan View Post
Over the course of my life the federal government has gotten much, much larger and more intrusive while becoming much, much more incompetent. Just look at the past two presidents and the leading candidates in both parties and compare them to Eisenhower or Truman.

Instead of welcoming foreigners (and their money) we insist they must be licenced (and pay for the privilege) to move about in what is supposed to be a free country. Very sad, in my opinion.

Paul
I agree about the government, however, border protection is a big issue, now. at face value, i'm sure this is a response to rampant illegal immigration, human trafficking, drug smuggling, and a defense against the possibility of terrorists entering the country. all serious issues.

of course, the government can't refuse the opportunity at highway robbery (high seas robbery?) while they do it. taking money from people is what they are best at.

and, of course, i'm sure this is also all just for show (and to allow them to steal more money from people) and will do nothing to protect the country from any of these issues. they really don't care to do that; as evidenced by the fact that all other such measures have accomplished nothing but the inconvenience and harassment of innocent people and that all effective, common sense steps have been avoided like the plague. as long as these threats still exist, they can use them to get people to willingly to give up their personal rights and accept more government intrusion.

what is truly sad is that the large mass of the American people accept (and even applaud) a government that is increasingly intrusive, oppressive, and ineffective.
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 04:51   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Mike View Post
Is this not the same thing US folk have to do when we go to other countries?
good point

rough magic stated:

"This is the security/safety versus privacy/independence rubric that all countries deal with. Seems to me that this cruising permit reduces the hassle and expense of checking in with every port when in US waters. I've done a little cruising in Mexico, and such a system there would be very helpful.

Though the instructions are written in bureaucratic 'we'll tell you what it means when we figure it out' language, this seems like an improvement to me."

I think this is a valid point. I haven't yet sailed out of the country but, from the accounts I have read, if you leave the US and sail to other countries and territories, you have to check in at each, pay them money, tell them why you are there and when you plan to leave, blah blah blah.

I don't really see this as being any different. but, it's a change, I suppose, and no one ever accepts change readily.
Old 31-01-2016, 05:07   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
It never makes much sense that you can fly in or drive in, even with a mobile home or boat - no problem. Drive a boat in & its a big deal, requires tracking, money and possible random inspection, notification of authorities at every stop. What do they think boaters are doing that differentiates them and their 6 mph turtle shells from the other visitors numbering a thousand times greater?
I forget who it was or what book it was but, one writer of bluewater sailing books pointed out that exact thing. it's like the process for those traveling by water is stuck in the 18th century.
Old 31-01-2016, 05:13   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
This statement is very true! I remember in the late 40s you never heard anything good about Truman, I thought he was some kind of villain! Years later He was spoken of as the second coming, He was wonderful! How do you figure?
same thing with Lincoln, actually. he was hated by both sides. now he is practically a saint. just from a factual study of his actions, he was a bit shady for sure. violated the constitution in a number of ways. plunged the country into a bloody civil was without serious attempts at diplomacy. scapegoated the black slaves as a way to insure he couldn't be impeached for constitutional violations and, in the process, made sure the US was permanently plagued with racial tensions.

however, the internet is all about free exchange of ideas. if you start controlling what people can say because there are others that might have a different opinion you destroy that and make the internet just another impotent extension of the PC media.

the key is for people to act in a mature manner and realize that people have different opinions and accept that. the problem is when people get angry and abusive because someone had the gall to disagree with them. if people act maturely, a little debate can be fun and even educational.

people have different information and different reasoning processes. you may not change your mind based on the opinions of another (in fact, hearing other opinions can, sometimes, cement your own even firmer) but, your mind can be opened to different possibilities.
Old 31-01-2016, 05:27   #38
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New Border Crossing Procedures Now In Place For Pleasure Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by first wind View Post
I forget who it was or what book it was but, one writer of bluewater sailing books pointed out that exact thing. it's like the process for those traveling by water is stuck in the 18th century.
Ahh... if only..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 05:43   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Wouldn't it be simpler to just kill all foreigners entering US ports? If they are foreign, they must be terrorists.
OK, now that the hate posts have started lets pile on.
Iaangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 05:52   #40

in an ideal world, you could sail wherever you pleased with no government policies to inconvenience you and at every port beautiful Tahitian women would flock to your vessel and throw themselves at you with loving adoration in their eyes. but, nothing's perfect.
Old 31-01-2016, 05:58   #41

Um, it could possibly be an attempt to identify / discourage drug smuggling. it is pretty easy to track boats these days but much more difficult to board and inspect them all, this likely could be an attempt to help identify smugglers by their non compliance. Real cruisers should always respect the laws of their gracious host countries or so I'm told here on CF.
Iaangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 06:15   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustermaw View Post
Would you mind explaining that a bit for us ignorant foreigners.
What's an Obamaphone ?
Early in his presidency Obama administration pandering to his constituency and under the guise of safety measure for the "financially less fortunate" has provided free cell phones to those on welfare.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 06:37   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. Nolan View Post
" Please don't"? Then in the very next sentence, you go on to do that which you claim to abhor: "Both Eisenhower and Truman were roundly and commonly vilified..." blah, blah...

I stand by what I said.

Paul
Yep. Hypocrisy, amongst so much else, runs right through the self appointed (or employed) Political Commissars and Thought Police.

I must thank you for allowing two such in this thread alone, that so selflessly confirmed their qualification to go on my ignore list.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 06:48   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Wouldn't it be simpler to just kill all foreigners entering US ports? If they are foreign, they must be terrorists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaangus View Post
OK, now that the hate posts have started lets pile on.
Far from being a hate post, this is usefully illustrative of precedence historically, as well as currently.

Historically, us Welsh were under penalty of death for being caught on the wrong side of Offa's Dyke, for example.

Currently even extending to a vulture being captured and held under suspicion of "spying" in some Middle East Country or other. If found guilty, rare or not, it will probably be executed.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 06:59   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by first wind View Post
same thing with Lincoln, actually. .....snip.......as a way to insure he couldn't be impeached for constitutional violations and, in the process, made sure the US was permanently plagued with racial tensions.
Well OK up the last. He got shot. Not his fault. Somehow most historians figure Andrew Johnson was no Lincoln. The Reconstruction was a horror. That was the plague you mentioned. Lincoln had nothing to do with it.

Where do some people make up history? And why?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote