Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2019, 15:48   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
New boat and stuck at the dock in NC

I have my first ever boat, other than a jet ski 20 something years ago, she's a Catalina 30. I have a few hours on a sunfish and a few more on a Flying Scot. I have no doubt that I can get a boat to move about the water under sail. I also know that I am going to mess things up because, well, that's what newbies do. I have taken the ASA 101.

I also recently moved to NC from TX and don't know anyone, so asking a friend isn't an option. I live 120 miles from the boat, so asking the folks at the Wednesday night races isn't an option, I have a common 8-5 M-F.

A bit of background. I have restored 3 classic cars and renovated two houses, so I am rather handy. In a former life, I was a long haul trucker, so this isn't the largest and heaviest vehicle that I have managed. I have a private pilot license with a glider endorsement, so I understand wind an current. I also understand that it will be different, and some experience is needed.

So what has me stuck at the dock? I don't know if my boat is legal. Do I have the right fire extinguishers? Placards? Something I am unaware of? How do I know when to empty my tanks? My halyards are wrapped around the shrouds. Is this a common way to keep them from banging against the mast, or is this a hell no, fix that? That little spinny bit over there, you want to sprinkle ground up unicorn husk on it every 6 months, else it will cost you $1500.

I asked at the marina and was told docking is easy, just take it slow, the pumpout cart is behind the bathouse.

How do I go about finding someone who will spend a few hours with me to go over the basics of beyond how to sail?

The boat is in Washington, NC.
Uturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 16:42   #2

Re: New boat and stuck at the dock in NC

Craigslist
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 17:05   #3

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: New boat and stuck at the dock in NC

Here's a link to a virtual CG safety inspection, if you pass call your local CG Auxilary about a free vessel safety check. If your inspector isn't a sailor he still probably knows lots of locals, he might be able to advise on local clubs or groups. An ASA school probably can give you a 4 hour private lesson on motoring and docking, if they have a much bigger boat do it on that, than your boat will be like driving a Honda.
Online Virtual Vessel Safety Check
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, dock