Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2014, 06:18   #1

Boat: Cornado 25
New (2013) MARPOL Anex V Regulations

Ignorance is bliss... until it gets you busted.

Until I happened to check out the http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1595422 thread, I was unaware the MARPOL regs for the off shore discharge of waste had changed to prohibit the discharge of all non-food waste, not just plastics.

While the chances of getting busted for dropping a crushed spam can over the side 100 miles off shore are slim (moral and ethical questions aside), there is a good chance of getting whacked during a USCG or other LEO boarding due to not having updated MARPOL placards posted as required. Especially for US Documented Vessels as CG can also request required logs etc during routine "safety" inspections.

Just as a FYI for those who might also have missed the changes...

Could be I am the only one unaware of last year's changes, but in the interests of saving someone an unneeded hassle, I am posting anyway.
Old 30-07-2014, 06:49   #2

Boat: Tayana 58 DS
Re: New (2013) MARPOL Anex V Regulations

Thanks for the informative post. Has anyone seen updated placards available?
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 07:21   #3

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

What I think is wrong in the other thread and what a lot of people are missing in this point of subject is that a organisation like Cruising Association of uk and AR are saying ok you can throw this and that over aboard it's not a problem it's legal to do so , I am now just wondering What RATS section of the CA has to say about it , and the world we live in where every one is looking at every one it will only take one over zealot official to press charges based on a fact stated in a open forum
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 09:45   #4

W/M has them as a sticker (have to buy a 3 pack with oil and waste management $8.00) Lots of old placards out there so be carefull

Being cheap (and ornery) I poked one up in GIMP, printed it out in photo quality (original image size 5-1/2" x 8" to meet 40 sq inch req) and mounted in a cheap frame. Screwed to galley bulkhead.

Here is link to image ... No warranty expressed or implied.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/attachm...f508d31569.png

Old 30-07-2014, 10:43   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt-couillon View Post
W/M has them as a sticker (have to buy a 3 pack with oil and waste management $8.00) Lots of old placards out there so be carefull

Being cheap (and ornery) I poked one up in GIMP, printed it out in photo quality (original image size 5-1/2" x 8" to meet 40 sq inch req) and mounted in a cheap frame. Screwed to galley bulkhead.

Here is link to image ... No warranty expressed or implied.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/attachm...f508d31569.png

I believe there is a small error at the end. "penalties" should be substituted for "pealties"..
EzzyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 11:52   #6

Here is a USCG letter explaining the situation.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/009...ation.pdf?1630

I quote : (my italics)

While the applicability has not changed, placards must be updated to reflect the new garbage
discharge requirements. Until U.S. regulations are updated to reflect the new garbage discharge
regime and placards are readily available, U.S. flagged ships operating exclusively on domestic
voyages may continue to use existing placards.

U.S. flagged ships on international voyages and visiting ports of a country that are party to
MARPOL Annex V will need to meet the annex’s placarding requirements to avoid possible port
state control action. Operators are encouraged to make and post copies of the relevant examples
provided in Enclosure (3).

I passed a voluntary inspection a couple of months ago, with the old placard. The inspector said that the new placards are not yet widely available. He did not have any to hand out.

Therefore I'd take issue with the OP's claim that you could get a fine for not having the updated sticker, at least from the USCG. Other national entities, that is a different matter.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2014, 12:14   #7

@ EzzyD...
I TOLD you, No Warranty!
Fixed the mistake Tks for the catch (one usually sees what one expects.)

@MarkSF...
You are correct.. the USCG interim interpretation letter does allow old placards until regs are updated in the CFR. And the new ones are hard to find. As slow a the feds move, it could be another 5 years until the changes are published. Never had anyone check for placards outside the US, so probably running old cards will never be a problem. The requirement for non US vessels (and I know there are a bunch cruising the US) over 40' does apply however. As I am under 26', USCG regs are moot anyway. But, a little over compliance never hurt the attitude of the boarding party either. I certainly have more fire-extinguishers and emergency signal devices than required. Hell, I even have a bell.

Point was, I had no idea MARPOL rules had changed... Still don't think that empty steel spam can is going to be an issue vis-a-vis the health of the ocean, but that is a debate for another thread.
Old 30-07-2014, 13:43   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Typically the Coasties are so happy to see the required placards on small craft that you'd really have to piss one off before he got out the ruler.

Just remember, the CFR usually does not specify the language of the placards. You can post them in Swahili, or Cantonese, or Etruscan if you'd like. As long as you've got to SEE the damned thing every day, it might as well be something aesthetically pleasing. Big plaque, tiny calligraphy in the center, still legal.

Two can play at that game.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
regulations