Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2015, 08:26   #1

Boat: Peterson Islander 40
Never too old

G'day,
I'm writing this from the yacht club Fisher Is. NY where I celebrated the 4th. I also celebrated my 67th birthday on the 3rd. I sailed from Sydney Australia more than two years ago. Fiji, Guam, China, Hong Kong, Philippines, then Back to Darwin Australia. That was my first year of retirement! Sailed from Darwin to Western Australia then set off last August for Mauritius, Cape of Good Hope, Cape Town. Crossed the South Atlantic stopping at Saint Helena the my way to the Caribbean. Caribbean to Chesapeake, then up the coast to New York. I hope to be in Boston in the next three weeks, where I will clear Customs, then it's off to Halifax, Newfoundland, then nip across the North Atlantic to Ireland and Britton for the summer. Yep. all singlehanded. When am I going back to Australia? When I can't do it anymore. That could be five or ten years hence!

So come on all you old farts. Buy your boat, fit it out for Ocean cruising and JUST DO IT.

If you ask what is my biggest challenge, I will answer 'mindset.' I continually challenge what my mind says I can't do with pleasing and rewarding results. Just a few days ago I hauled myself up the mast with my 3to1 boson's chair block and tackle. I was rort with fear and almost threw in the towel, but I took my time and made it. The feeling of triumph when I was back on deck was elating. I said to myself: 'Good for another few years yet.'

James
Banshe is offline   Reply With Quote