Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-07-2009, 14:06   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chattcatdaddy View Post

Mike Rowe (host:dirtiest jobs) was being interviewed for Outside magazine recently and had great quote. The reporter asked him something like if he just followed his passions. His answer was the best I have ever heard. Mike Rowe said that telling someone to follow their passion is the worst advice advice you could ever give someone. Instead you should take your passion with you(or something like to that effect). I love that advice! In a sense I guess I have done just that. I receive the same comments from my co-workers, in that I never to seem to have a bad day at work. My answer is always the same, "I choose not to have bad day". Somehow very few seem to understand that response.
Portable Passion - That's a great way of looking at things. I like that!

http://SailingUNI.com
http://maxingout.com
http://PositiveThinkingSailor.com
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 20:26   #47
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chattcatdaddy View Post
Can someone learn to be a positive person?
YES!!!!!!!! ONe of the greatest books ever written on the subject is Dale Carnegie "How to Win Friends and Influence People".

By the end of the book when you know how to be good to every other person in the world you find yourself being a most positive, happy person

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
When I change the way I think, my life changes as well. .
Yes, Dave, you are spot on

We have a rule on board about negativity. No Negativity on Sea Life!!!

We are getting better and better... but still have a long way to go

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:00   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
It doesn't matter how long you spend somewhere if you're not open to experiencing its culture. Where one person could embrace everything a new culture offers in three weeks, there's another person who could spend 3 years in a foreign land and still consider it foreign - never learning the language, never taking part in social customs, not even sampling the local cuisine.

BTW Dave, an excellent topic - once again you're a source of inspiration.
That's true, but there are subtlties to any culture that it would be difficult or impossible to absorb (and that's what happens, really) in three weeks. Understanding those nuances are what generally allows one to understand the culture at a deeper level.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:58   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman
It doesn't matter how long you spend somewhere if you're not open to experiencing its culture.
It amazes me that people would live someplace and not be open to the culture, but it certainly happens. I was recently considering relocating from America to France. Didn't work out, but I spent a good bit of time looking into it.

What I found really sort of shocked me. Many, many English-speaking people have relocated to France and embraced the culture. A distinct minority, but too many others, nonetheless, have lived there for years simply as foreigners. I saw a posting on an expat forum from a woman who wanted help to find a plumber. She had lived in France for five years--FIVE YEARS!!!--and still knew hardly any French, and had almost no French friends. She lived in France, but spent all of her time with English-speaking people and going to places where she didn't have to bother to learn any French. Her big problem was that she couldn't find an English-speaking plumber. That's just sad. What's even sadder is that she is hardly alone. I wouldn't say that I ran across a lot like her, but enough that I shake my head in wonder.
Old 07-07-2009, 14:35   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
That's true, but there are subtlties to any culture that it would be difficult or impossible to absorb (and that's what happens, really) in three weeks. Understanding those nuances are what generally allows one to understand the culture at a deeper level.
Agreed. On the flip side of the coin - there are those who get the expat variety of Stockholm syndrome, and completely forget the nuances of their mother-culture. Some people are destined to be narrow-minded no matter how well-travelled they are. Fortunately cruisers generally seem to be an open-minded lot
Old 31-08-2010, 10:07   #51

Boat: 1999 Jeanneau Newco Lagoon 410 Catamaran - Luna Sea
Send a message via Skype™ to lunasea.ds
This thread touches on a topic I've been mentally mulling and that is cruising guilt. My nature has always been pretty positive, and my friends and family are very happy for me to be on this journey of discovery. As I'm simplifying my ties to society the land based struggles of those I love are not lost on me. Anyone out there ever have the same thoughts?
Old 31-08-2010, 20:04   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I never felt guilty about going cruising, but I would have felt guilty if I had not gone cruising because I would not have been living my dreams. If I had more than one life, then one of those lives would have been ok to live at home. But since I got only one life, I had to do what was important to me.

We lived overseas for 28 years, and we discovered that we were never more than 24 hours by air away from "home" - parents - relatives - no matter where we were in the world. When I lived in Arabia, I had 55 days of vacation a year, and I spent more time visting family in the USA than if I had lived in the USA with several weeks of vacation a year.

After 28 years outside the USA, our parents required some support - emotional support mainly. We returned to the USA and we kept in close touch until they passed away. The truth was that they could only take a certain amount of time with us visiting them because it was a stress having us pay a visit. Older folks are set in their schedules and lifestyle. Disruptions to their routines are definitely a challenge to many elderly parents.

In the days of email, cheap phone calls, skype, and airplanes flying from any corner of the globe, you can keep in close touch with family wherever you are. You can do it every day if you like.

Other than elderly parents, I never cared much about what other people thought about me going cruising. Most did not care, a few disapproved, some criticized because I was putting my children's lives at risk, and none understood what was happening. I have a saying. Never Complain. Never Explain. Never Feel Sorry For Yourself.

My kids survived. My daughter is in medical school. My son is a musician and just released a new CD. Check it out: too many drummers home My son also created a produced a DVD of our Red Sea adventures. The Red Sea Chronicles - A First Class Sailing Adventure.* Captain Dave. Everything worked out better than I had planned. What's to feel guilty about?

http://SailingUNI.com
http://maxingout.com
http://PositiveThinkingSailor.com
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 20:50   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Never read your thoughts on this stuff before, but it's spot on.

Someone on here once said that you can't use sailing as some form of escape because it's generally harder than whatever you're trying to escape from. If you can't stay positive working 9-5 you're not going to stay positive when you're laid up in some crappy harbor with boat problems that you need to figure out how to pay for.

The over arching thing you need in your life is to smile and enjoy it. Take your best shot, learn from your mistakes, and always try to build an awesome life. Great experiences, great family, great friends, etc.

Bitterness and negativity are traits you need to purge long before you start out on any difficult road. They pop up sometimes for everyone I think. No one is Zen 100% of the time. But being pissed off, having self doubt, and just generally not having your head in the right place will stop you dead in your tracks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: