Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-01-2014, 11:54   #16

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Re: Neeed help - please read this!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshoez View Post

I'm now in Australia trying to figure which path to follow to achieve my dream of either becoming a skipper or getting in any sort of sailing career. What to do? Need some suggestions from experienced people.

Please help me!
Jay,

I have to echo the comments around your unintentional urgency (you're not exactly on a sinking boat, yet). That said, I think your nationality is American (this is not entirely clear), so you may want to investigate the Merchant Marine Academy or the Coast Guard. Honestly, the economy of the next 50 years (your working interval), is going to be a knowledge-based economy. If you set your sights too low, you will likely be pushed out of a job in 15-20 years, a burned out 40 year old.

If you get as much education as possible, and keep training, you can keep pace and guide your own future. Engineering and Business will always be hot fields, and growing as well. If you have the aptitude for these areas, then by all means jump in.

If you're passionate about it, you won't mind the work. Good luck.

Old 13-01-2014, 14:47   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Vancouver 27

Yo,

30yo here and not too far down the line from where you're at right now.

Many of my friends graduated from college, many didn't. 10 years in, none regret their decisions (with the exception of one lawyer). Unless you have a real path in mind or can afford tuition without going too deeply in debt, I'm a bit skeptical of the real world value.

If you want the freedom to sail and tramp about, one place to look is IT work. I got into IT and web dev with no formal training after I got back from a long cruising haitus in my mid 20s. Started off paying dues with IT Admin type stuff and have been working into more highly paid development jobs more recently. All has been remote-based.

In this tech-savvy world of ours, there are ways you can afford you're own boat while not having to be tied down anywhere.

-Ryan

Old 14-01-2014, 00:12   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Here's me, and not grumpy at the moment, at least:

We have friends who were full time skipper and mate on a blue plater. He had a degree in some kind of engineering plus a 500 ton skippers license; she had a 100 ton skipper's license, and was/is a gourmet chef. You're looking at mega-qualifications, but that's the market. If you're up for "improving your qualifications", it's possible. Only you can decide if you have the ability and perseverance to do it.

It's a tough world out here.

Ann
Old 14-01-2014, 00:28   #19
cruiser

The first time I asked my son if he was going to go to college, he answered "no, I think after high school I'd rather just get an executive job somewhere."

This thread reminds me of that conversation.
Old 14-01-2014, 00:51   #20
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I remember hiring a young Kiwi deckhand with the identical experience and age. Brought him to Holland for the initial delivery to Antigua of a new 55m yacht. Worked his butt off trying to prove himself to me and I really liked the guy.
Unfortunately his unbridled enthusiasm and lack of tact when working with his immediate supervisors caused all kinds of bad feelings towards him.
Some of you remind me of that first grumpy old British bulldog of a bosun.

Good advice from Ann to get to know the competition

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 14-01-2014, 01:43   #21

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

If you want to break into the industry with some sanding, glassing and painting, send me a PM.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 06:00   #22

Jay,
Get yourself to Hamilton Island race week or some of the other big regattas.
The reality is you won't make a decent living out of boat boat owners as they are mostly cheapskate tight arses with boats bigger than they can afford to maintain properly and they resent every cent they have to spend.
I have worked manufacturing and repairing boats for some time, never again ! I work on houses now and being the essential thing they are for most people most people are actually grateful. You could work for food for a pleasure boat owner and they still won't be happy till they get the shirt off your back.
Old 15-01-2014, 06:24   #23
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Neeed help - please read this!!

Get a job in a boatyard/marina.. get to know a little about boats.. and.. more importantly their owners.. have a cheerful can do/will do attitude and you'll find opportunities to sail/power will crop up.. and folk talk about 'good people'... sometimes its not so much what you know.. but who you know..
But.. you gotta get out there and find them.. the sailing/boating Grapevine and Facebook are completely different animals

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 06:30   #24

Boat: 1974 Bristol 27
Re: neeed help PLEASE READ THIS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
+1

Get a college degree or at the minimum, start taking night classes. To start with, you should try to improve your communication skills, i.e., grammar and punctuation. This can expand your pool of opportunities in any field.
Yeah, pay out around $40,000-$100,000 for a college degree. Get a job, etc and start paying off the loan you incurred.

Then when you are 65-70 you can remember that you ALMOST did what you wanted to with your life but decided to get a degree and work 9-5.

Also, this guy moves to fast to be able to go to college. My son earned a scholarship but said that world isn't for me. He's a musician, carpenter, etc and is very happy. He does not have much of a schedule.

Some folks just do not want the humdrum life....................house, yard, new cars, etc..............

Also, you can learn tons at your local library if you ever need more education................or online without paying hardly a dime.
Old 16-01-2014, 20:30   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I remember hiring a young Kiwi deckhand with the identical experience and age. Brought him to Holland for the initial delivery to Antigua of a new 55m yacht. Worked his butt off trying to prove himself to me and I really liked the guy.
Unfortunately his unbridled enthusiasm and lack of tact when working with his immediate supervisors caused all kinds of bad feelings towards him.
Some of you remind me of that first grumpy old British bulldog of a bosun.

Good advice from Ann to get to know the competition

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wish I was that kid... don't ya feel like hiring another kid... sorry just joking thanks for the advice though!
Old 16-01-2014, 20:34   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redreuben View Post
Jay,
Get yourself to Hamilton Island race week or some of the other big regattas.
The reality is you won't make a decent living out of boat boat owners as they are mostly cheapskate tight arses with boats bigger than they can afford to maintain properly and they resent every cent they have to spend.
I have worked manufacturing and repairing boats for some time, never again ! I work on houses now and being the essential thing they are for most people most people are actually grateful. You could work for food for a pleasure boat owner and they still won't be happy till they get the shirt off your back.
thanks, i was in fact considering volonteer for some regattas here around SYD but still not enough time if I am working another job.. and volunteering doesn't pay bills off even though its a good way to build up experiences for my cv.. still trying to figure this one out!
Old 16-01-2014, 20:40   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Not to sound too grumpy, but here's a little career advice...

Start by respecting people who you want to help and mentor you. Realize that this community is just full of great people who may actually give you a job. All your interactions are possible networking opportunities and you never know who your next boss or mentor might be.

I am not in the field that you want a job in, but if I were, I wouldn't bother. Here's why:
  • Your thread title gave the impression that somebody needed real help, not career advice. You portrayed huge urgency and I expected a real emergency (they do come up on this board from time to time). Instead, I found a kid who wanted career advice.
  • Your posts are very poorly written. The English is excellent, but it is full of typos and there is little to no grammar. It makes you seem childish. Know your audience.
  • Frankly, you come off as a bit entitled. You tell me all about what you want and then finish in all caps about how I should help you. Why would I want to do that? Sure, outline what you are looking for and then indicate what you can offer. Then politely ask for advice.
I'm sure that all sounds really harsh. I'm actually taking the time out of my day to type this because it is meant as constructive criticism. The most important thing for you to get that next job in a very competitive industry is to learn how to be professional and how to network effectively.

Respectfully,

Chris
Chris,
didn't sound grumpy at all; i'm still working on my english which as you noticed it still doesn't sound professional.
Your comment actually gave me good points on how to improve my communication skills.
Appreciated your time and your constructive criticism!
Thanks.
Old 16-01-2014, 22:01   #28

Boat: Catalina 30

jayshoez:

Re: Your response to cwyckham

Good job! It shows you are willing to take criticism and put
out a bit of effort.

Best of luck.
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 22:20   #29

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshoez View Post
Chris,
didn't sound grumpy at all; i'm still working on my english which as you noticed it still doesn't sound professional.
Your comment actually gave me good points on how to improve my communication skills.
Appreciated your time and your constructive criticism!
Thanks.
I'm very impressed, Jay. You're learning fast. I'm glad you took my comments in the spirit in which they were intended, and I wish you luck in your search.

Tags
lease

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: