Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2015, 07:58   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
Need Survey to register in BVI

I'm planning (or trying) to register a new boat in the BVI's. Even though the boat is new from the Lagoon factory in France the BVI's require a survey. I'm trying to locate a BVI approved surveyor (Bureau Veriitas) close to the factory in order to minimize the costs of the survey.

Has anyone encountered this situation before and do they have a survey reference in that area?
sailingforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:18   #2

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Re: Need Survey to register in BVI

This is not a normal survey. It is a "tonnage certificate". You will need a measurer who meets the BVI registry requirements and cam go to the factory. There is more than one. I posted contact details in a similar thread a while ago.

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 05:51   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Are you intending on heading to the BVI with the boat? If so, you can get a temporary certificate pending the survey and do the survey upon arrival in the BVI. There are several surveyors who will do the tonnage survey there. It might be possible that the BVI will accept a "British Tonnage Survey" and there are many such accredited surveyors in France and Europe.
I did something similar with the British registry as I couldn't find an approved surveyor in Annapolis when I picked up the boat (except one, who demanded that the boat be hauled for the survey, which is not necessary) so I used the temporary certificate until I was in the BVI and got the survey done, about $200 if I recall and the surveyor going around the boat with a tape measure and bits of string. A week later I had my final paperwork.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:23   #4

Boat: Lagoon 450

I'm not intending to head to the BVI's right away, so I would like to get this taken care at the factory. It's a new boat, so I can't imagine there is much to this.
sailingforfun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
survey