Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2016, 20:58   #1

Need some help to plan pacific crossing

Hello,

I have a big plan to cross the pacific from australia to south america with a stopes at couple of islands.
I would like to begin it next may as i red that from may is the sailing season on the pacific i hope its true.
I never really sailed so until i need to learn many things and i hope you can give me some tips or a link where i can read about it.

David
puska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 21:30   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Need some help to plan pacific crossing

You might want to check out this thread by our resident expert, El Pinguino, who recently completed a trip from NZ to Chile. The southerly route is more direct and "easier" but May would not be the season going that way.

BTW, welcome to CF.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 22:44   #3

Thank you. i have read it.
But thats a bit different than my plan as i dont want to go at the north more there where are islands to stop and make break. Not only just cross.
Old 28-03-2016, 22:54   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Start by looking at Cornels World Cruising Routes (World Cruising Routes (7th revised edition) by Jimmy Cornell)

You are heading in a tough direction where there is no easy way to make that passage.
Old 28-03-2016, 23:19   #5

Thanks Paul i will check this one as well.
Tought direction, sounds scary as i want to buy a boat at begin with sailing. Am i right that i dont need a license for sailboats?
Old 28-03-2016, 23:58   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Puska, at the risk of being flamed for negativity, you really, really don't have a clue about the difficulty of what you propose, and how impossible your plan and time scale are.

I am at a loss to tell you what to do, beyond spending a couple of weeks going over the forums here on CF. Questions like yours have been discussed ad nauseum, and there has been heaps of advice given folks like you... some good,some bad, but that's the internet!

My take: you have no boat, no sailing skills whatsoever, no knowledge of the task that you envision undertaking in a few weeks. this is a no-goer if I ever encountered one.

I'm sorry to be so downer, but for those of us who have taken the time and effort and yes, money, to address those issues and a heap of others, the idea that one can just up and do one of the more difficult cruising passages is ludicrous.

Please don't hate me... the truth often hurts.

Jim
Old 29-03-2016, 00:26   #7

Hello Jim,

Thank you for the straight answer i dont hate you thats what i need. To know the truth.
The only thing is that i have a year around not just some weeks.
So i want to spend one year to get the knowledge and practice.
Would it be possible?
Old 29-03-2016, 00:35   #8

To cross the pacific from west to east really needs a good sailor and a good boat.

Going the regular route, from east to west. Panama To Australia, is an easier way. Buy a boat in Panama or Mexico. Stay there for 5-6 months just to learn, and if you then feel comfy you can start the crossing.
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 01:08   #9

I have seen that east the west is the normal way. But im studying at sydney for a year more and after i would like leave the country and sail to south america with a stops. And i started now a year ahead to prepar for it if its possible.
Old 29-03-2016, 01:26   #10

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Well.... 12 months is better than 12 days but you would want to be a pretty fast learner.... esp as you are also studying something else.

What sort of boat do you have in mind?

Oz to SA is hard work however you go about it.... but maybe in 12 months time you will have worked that out....

Set NZ as your first island landfall or maybe New Caledonia... you will know whether you are up to it by the time you get there.
Old 29-03-2016, 01:36   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Need some help to plan pacific crossing

How about you give us some information on where you are hoping to make your stops.. then maybe we can advise you better as to routes and difficulties you'll need to overcome.
Its all very well coming here and making some vague statements however life and nature are not so simple.. wind patterns and currents, seasons.. a May start means winter sailing on the most favourable routes where nature assists.
You might as well be saying.. in a years time I would like to fly to Mars.. and make some stops on the way..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 01:59   #12

Well i want to start at new caledonia as piguino mensiond than fiji, tonga, tahiti, gambier, pitcairn, easter islands and than to chile. That would be my plan which i seen some where a trip from australia.
The boat in my mind is a around 30 ft long boat. I would go together with my friend.
I have other studying but thats not that much and got quite lot breaks it isnt a serious school.
Old 29-03-2016, 02:30   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well.. hope your not in a rush.. you'll be sailing against currents averaging around 20miles a day.. so figure on around 75miles/24hrs average in a 30ftr.. winds should? be kindly the first few months mainly W mixed with variables then will swing E come September.. but.. on the bright side.. after Easter Island it should get a lot easier..
The Penguin and the Cates will know better.. one having done it.. and it being the playground of the others for a few years..
Start swotting up navigation and weather techniques...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 29-03-2016, 03:07   #14

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
but.. on the bright side.. after Easter Island it should get a lot easier..
You reckon?
An aquaintance(sp) of mine from when I was on the far side..

AROUND ALONE DAYS13-14-15 —

He is still out there... somewhere east of the Chathams...
Old 29-03-2016, 03:14   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
You reckon?
An aquaintance(sp) of mine from when I was on the far side..

AROUND ALONE DAYS13-14-15 —

He is still out there... somewhere east of the Chathams...
Its a rarely understood thing is Sarcasm..