Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 16:06   #16
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Need new dinghy...rigid or inflatable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
What's an offset?

In proper naval architecture, all you need to build a boat is the table of offsets for each dimension; plan, profile, and half-breadth. A good shipwright doesn't even need a lines drawing, because that can be reproduced full size on the lofting floor using only the table. You could hand me one of these and I'd build you a boat....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	71923  

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 16:06   #17

Boat: Prout 46

Quote:
We got tired of bringing our guest into town in a 20 knot chop with everyone getting soaked in our inflatable.

A Cat Dinghy keeps the splash in the tunnel.

Try planning an inflatable with four adults and a 6hp. It just will not happen.
Our Cat dinghy does it no problem.
What is your approximate planning speed with 4 people? What's your top speed with one or two people? Sounds like a great dinghy.
Kashmir cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 16:07   #18

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
I do my design work in 3D CAD, so my design terms are a bit different.
Now you've gone and made me think: How could I make that design nesting?
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 16:07   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Need New Dinghy...Rigid or Inflatable?

I was going to take his word for it more or less. Everyone exaggerates, besides I have a 8 horse 2 stoke. Way more power.
Old 11-12-2013, 16:10   #20
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

To simplify the concept, all three of the lines drawings on this plan can be reproduced full size using only the table of offsets printed on the plan.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	71927  

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 16:32   #21

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
I made the jump from inflatable to hard dinghy last year. What a difference. They row so much nicer. Not all mushy soft in the morning until the sun heats them up again. My hard dingy is only 85 lbs, so it's easy on the davits. Goes to windward in a 20 knot chop with four people onboard and it’s a nice dry ride. Get four people on Plans with a 6 hp. It a real sports car, as its fast and turns on a dime at any speed.
Thats a cool dink. If that's not for you try this. Chameleon nesting dink fits on the foredeck. Rows and next year by god I'm finishing the sail rig. Inflatable is hasn't been unbagged in years. The outboards are collecting dust.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2117377144.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	71929  
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 16:35   #22

I've been intrigued by the cat dingy concept. I do know that a Livingston (which is pretty much a cat dingy) is uncomfortable as heck for me. You have to sit on the center tunnel and your big feet dont fit well in the hull on either side. Steering an outboard from the center seat means you either need to face backwards or have your arm behind you in a wierd way. Is any of this better on your home designed cat dink?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 16:42   #23

As for hard dinks beating the boat. The best I have found is a foam covered with what acts like fire hose. The old stuff was fabulous. I had some left over from years back. Enough to do the back section. The forward section is done in the new stuff that already is looking fatigued after 1 year. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Where to get 12 feet more if the good stuff.
Old 11-12-2013, 16:55   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
As for hard dinks beating the boat. The best I have found is a foam covered with what acts like fire hose. The old stuff was fabulous. I had some left over from years back. Enough to do the back section. The forward section is done in the new stuff that already is looking fatigued after 1 year. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Where to get 12 feet more if the good stuff.
Yeah, that's what I put on my Dyer years ago... the question is... how to put it on the dink without drilling 100's of holes etc..? Also... If it is P shaped and you attache it, I found it often pushes up or down exposing the hard dink edge anyway. So yo get teh type that has two cloth lips on it.. now you need 100's of holes times two!
anyone have a good solution for this? I'm thinking those swim noodles and 5200... haha

Old 11-12-2013, 16:56   #25

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Here's the good Gunwale Guard for $7 foot
Gunwale Guard Dacron/Foam 3/4Rnd Roll=200'Plt=1000'

Here is the crappy Gunwale Guard for $9 foot
Gunwale Guard 3/4 Round 1 1/4"" Roll=50'
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GUNWALE GUARD.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	71930  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 17:01   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

inflatable mono/rib or rigid cat?
Best of both worlds or bad compromise?

HOME - Takacat.com
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 17:13   #27

Quote:
Here's the good Gunwale Guard for $7 foot Gunwale Guard Dacron/Foam 3/4Rnd Roll=200'Plt=1000' Here is the crappy Gunwale Guard for $9 foot Gunwale Guard 3/4 Round 1 1/4"" Roll=50'
Thanks. I have ordered from 2 distributors this item and I get shipped a loose fit canvas over crap foam( not bonded to foam) I'll try Hamiltons. No idea what this loose wrap non bonded stuff is for buts it crap. I fasten about every 8 inches put bedding on the screws and use a washer. Stagger the fasteners top and outboard. My rail is cedar and so in it worried about it much. Preparing the rail before applying. Used a tad 4200 so it won't ride loose. No issues except the new rail stuff isn't worth it's weight in salt.
Old 11-12-2013, 17:46   #28

Quote:
Here's the good Gunwale Guard for $7 foot
Gunwale Guard Dacron/Foam 3/4Rnd Roll=200'Plt=1000'

Here is the crappy Gunwale Guard for $9 foot
Gunwale Guard 3/4 Round 1 1/4"" Roll=50'
Mine looked like that but was the 1.5 dia variety. Still the question is, how many holes does it take to attach that well? Let's see... 20 ft of rubstrake, attachment every 3" (?) x 2 sides = 160 holes and fasteners? maybe just drill the holes and sew it on with monel wire on the lower (hull side). Cracking from 80 holes in your hull?

Old 11-12-2013, 17:46   #29

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I've been intrigued by the cat dingy concept. I do know that a Livingston (which is pretty much a cat dingy) is uncomfortable as heck for me. You have to sit on the center tunnel and your big feet dont fit well in the hull on either side. Steering an outboard from the center seat means you either need to face backwards or have your arm behind you in a wierd way. Is any of this better on your home designed cat dink?
First, Livingston 10 foot cat dinghy’s are 210 lbs which is too heavy for most davits with and added 60 lbs of engine. Their not a performance Cat dinghy at all and there hulls are very narrow as you stated.
I started out talking to them about a lighter performance cat dingy and they told me to go pound sand.

My Cat dinghy is 85 lbs and designed for both rowing and planning and the hulls are almost 14 inchs wide at the floor, so no worries with big feet. I do not have any problems steering at all.

What started me down the Cat dinghy trail was when my three year old inflatable needed to be repaired as it would not hold air for more than three days. Even when holding air, it’s always a mushy tube in the morning until the sun heats it up later in the day.

My next problem was at Block Island on a 20-25 knot windy day and my engine dyed as I was coming from the beach to the mother ship. Even though I could see my boat a ¼ mile away it still took me an hour to row to it. Rowing and inflatable into wind and waves is nearly impossible.

I row the cat dinghy and it goes 30 feet before I have to give it another row. Rowing a Cat dinghy is so effortless.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Catatude_Cat_Dinghy5.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	71938  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 17:52   #30

Wow 85 lbs. I think my chameleon is 90. Nice job.

Tags
catamaran dinghy, dinghy, Gunwale Guard, inflatable