Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2013, 16:55   #1

need info on sailing Puerto Rico

Hey there! I'm in the BVI's with my boyfriend on our (newly acquired) privilege 39' sailing catamaran (weehoo!). We are going to make our way to Florida for a partial refit before setting off for a global circumnavigation. We plan to make several stops before florida for fun and to start small with the passages. I would like advice from anyone who has recently cruised this area about visiting puerto rico. Specifically, the spanish virgin islands and Vieques. Wondering about anchorages.... visiting the bio bay... and if there's anything special we need to know about the customs/immigration process. (we are American on a US flagged vessel) We have an old cruising guide onboard our boat, and will be looking for another, but I thought I'd check here as well! Thanks in advance for any tips!!!
cruisergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 17:23   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: need info on sailing Puerto Rico

Culebra is a fun little place to stop, and Fajardo on the mainland has some marinas and better access to supplies. I enjoyed visiting San Juan and the old fort. A trip up El Yunque is worth doing. The south coast of PR has nice places to stop and decent harbors--the north coast is pretty barren of harbors, other than San Juan. This website indicates you must clear in to PR, but it may be worth checking around for some other sources of information.
Old 23-03-2013, 17:49   #3

Boat: Beneteau 456
Go to Culebra anchor in Dakity or in Cayo Pirata and hang out with the locals. Go have dinner at El Eden with the ownersRichard and Luz they have great excellent food. Go to Zacos Tacos and have a few Margaritas. Take a bus to Flamenco Beach and spend some time there. Heathers pizza is a great hangout and the food is good. I think you may fall in love with this island. It is a great place I usually stay for months. If you dont stay forever in culebra then go to La chiva in Vieques and spend a night or two. Then go east a bit and go dow to the south side of vieques and explore all the beaches and make your way down to Palmas Del Mar. Once in Palmas there are two options: The Yacht Club or Che Daniel. If Ches Daniel is full then go to the yacht club. Rent a car from Target rental car amd explore Puerto Rico. If you need more info send me a private message.
avazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 18:40   #4

Hi cruisergirl. avazquez puts it very nicely in a nutshell. I was there about a year ago and all the places he's mentioning were still there. Will add that there are some other nice beaches. Between the, I believe cay, Luis Pena & Playa Tamarindo is a great place to snorkel if you do...sea turtles, rays, etc. Playa Melones was where we found some good snorkeling too, but for an array of different fish and many different kinds of corals, just beautiful. We anchored in Ensenada Honda. You can check on charts for open anchorage around the island. Have a great time! Be safe.... fair winds, calm seas. Kat
freespirited845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 20:40   #5

Boat: Beneteau 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirited845
Hi cruisergirl. avazquez puts it very nicely in a nutshell. I was there about a year ago and all the places he's mentioning were still there. Will add that there are some other nice beaches. Between the, I believe cay, Luis Pena & Playa Tamarindo is a great place to snorkel if you do...sea turtles, rays, etc. Playa Melones was where we found some good snorkeling too, but for an array of different fish and many different kinds of corals, just beautiful. We anchored in Ensenada Honda. You can check on charts for open anchorage around the island. Have a great time! Be safe.... fair winds, calm seas. Kat
Well I live in Puerto Rico.
avazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 22:05   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

You will need to call customs, even if you are just coming from the USVI, but you can usually clear in over the phone.

I thought the most beautiful anchorage on the South coast of Vieques was Bahia Salina del Sur, but we got chased out by guys clearing unexploded ordinance. Maybe Anthony can say whether they have finished yet.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 04:26   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, cruisegirl..

See the (free) ➥ Puerto Rico Cruising Guide

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 08:15   #8

Thanks so much for all the great information, guys! (as well as the warm welcome!) It is very helpful! I have been to puerto rico before, as well as Culebra. And you are right, Avazquez, I already have fallen in love with the island of Culebra.... it is hard not to! This will be my first time showing up via sailboat as a cruiser! (YAY!). Glad to hear that there are places to anchor in Culebra as well as Vieques! I'm very excited!!....
cruisergirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing