Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-09-2009, 16:26   #16
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Couple of things, There should not be any diesel in the exhaust insulation wrap. Theres normally nothing that can leak into it. I would definitely look into that

Secondy its your unit the Hydronic unit or hot air. The "popping" sound is usually caused by the inability of the heater to fire properly or maintain combustion properly.

You could have a diesel leak, insufficent diesel, incorrect diesel pipework and pump placement ( its very sensitive). Or insufficient combustion air, clogged combustion chamber, faulty glow plug. Unlikely to be low voltage as the Espar unit will not fire at all in low voltage situations.

I suspect fuel feed or clogging

goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 18:11   #17

Boat: shannon 43 ketch Celebration
the unit was installed by the builder and worked fine for about 7yrs w intermittent use, i change the glow plug y/screen yearly i have changed the filter for fuel and the glow plug, there is as i have checked no leaks, no seepage. i am of the question of the flame sensor and the over heat bimetalic gizmo that may tell it not to light off. i pulled the whole unit out a few yrs ago and checked everything and it continued to work fine[hard to change the glow plug in the very back of the lazerette so i pukked it out, put i back worked fine. i am afraid its eleoctroncs that have failed.
many thanks david

davidschiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 05:07   #18

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"
I agree with Defjef about the steam more likely being from water. You might have water in your fuel or be drawing low in a diesel tank where the water will collect. I am not sure I agree that unburned fuel would be white--it would be black or bluish smoke.
Another issue with these diesel heaters is that you need a lot of battery to get some of them started. They draw 10 or 11 amps for the glow plug and this will draw down your voltage on a weak set of batteries to the point that some units will automatically shut down, or the glow plug will not properly light the combustion chamber and it will limp along at low heat and not get the condensate out of the system. You might try starting the heater with the engine running (to get the additional amperage support of the alternator) to see if you get a better start. I am also told by some repair folks that many of these heaters are designed for European market where their diesel is more highly refined and that US fuel causes incomplete combustion from dirt in the fuel injection lines. It is possible that you have water in the exhaust system and the unit is not getting hot enough to burn it off.

I have an old Wallas unit that I have come to love, having first become so familiar with it from disassembling it that I can do it blindfolded in about 10 minutes. From what I have gathered, all these units require maintenance, but they can really extend the season and comfort for those of us in chilly areas.
Ray Durkee
S/V Velera
Tartan 37
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 15:01   #19

help requierd please

Hi guys i have just aquired a boat was checking out the night heater
ebraspoch or how ever you spell it well its a D3l trouble is some stupid idiot has cut the wiring loom so on the loom all i have is
the main live wire main nutrel one yellow oner red one brown
how do i conect all these up it only has a thermasteat
i have had the unit running by connecting the red and yellow wire together but both red and green light in the thermostat stay on even when heater has stoped ???????
mart143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 03:02   #20

Boat: Shiva - Contest 36s
Does anyone have an information on the typical service requirements for the Airtronic4? Does it require a replacement of the glow plug after X hrs or a cleaning of the blower etc.?

My experience with the D3L was that it needed to be taken apart and "cleaned" every few hundred hours.

Do the fuel filters need to be replaced regularly?

When do you service your heater and what is involved?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2010, 05:02   #21

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 40
We replace our glow plug (and little mess grille) every "heavy use" season (read when we use the Espar for 500+ hours in the winter as liveaboard). In 10 years, we have replaced the fuel filter a couple of times (the Espar is connected to our main tank and we have a fuel cleaner -AirX I think - on the return line). We have a D3L not sure about Airtronic4. However, I quickly checked the Airtronic manual and it has a glow plug as available replacement part, I would assume it will need replacement.

For the first post I would recommend you go the the following address (Espar - Technical Manual, Operating and Instruction Guides - Archive) to download the manual for your espar. All wire colors are explained as well as the connection to the wire harness.
pierre0121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 13:16   #22

Re: Need Help with Espar Heater

The Airtronic or Airtops have a burner inside the fire chamber. The fuel is pumped into this burner which resembles a steel wool pad compressed into a puck form. With use and time this puck will detiorate and so the fuel is not evenly distributed in the puck and then cannot properly burn off, which results in over fueling and shows as white smoke and raw fuel deposits in the exhaust. This part is changable and can be done at a certified shop or if you are mechanicaly inclined and brave, done yourself. The part is not cheap. I you are attempting to do this repair yourself be sure to replace the gaskets and use specified torque values when re assembling.

nervuswrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: