Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 15:44   #1

Boat: Whitby,Evans 16 ft
Need Help with Boat Purchase

Hi, I have been researching sailboats for quite a while now and i am about to buy one of two boats. One is a Kit built boat as i was told a 1979 21 ft no motor on and the other is a 16 foot Evans with a 4hp motor on it.

21 foot swing keel sailboat / trailer - Sudbury Sailboats For Sale - Kijiji Sudbury Canada.

16FT EVANS SAILBOAT W/4 HP OUTBOARD MOTOR FOR SALE - Oakville / Halton Region Sailboats For Sale - Kijiji Oakville / Halton Region Canada.

I would appreciate any input you might have. I am leaning towards the 21 footer because it has a semi decent cabin and i was told the speed is quite decent on it.

My intent is for some fun sailing perhaps 100km distances not far from shore on something like lake ontario or lake superior.

Oh, i was told the 21footer is partially made out of wood ? I am not sure what that means, i was under the impression they were fully made of fiberglass. I learned this last moment now i am worried that it might mean the wood is rotten etc. In that case im not sure what to look for ?

Thank you,
Andrei123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 16:07   #2

Boat: Tartan 30
(edited) sorry, phone issues
Old 08-08-2011, 16:09   #3

Can't see the links because my bandwidth sucks... But from my experience on a 14ft boardboat (like a sunfish) I'd much prefer a little cabin for overnighting and even just to have space to store an an anchor and whatever else. Cruising around those lakes in a small boat like that, you are gonna want to stop occasionally and fish, swim, hang out, sleep, eat, whatever. Ain't gonna happen on a boat with no storage space (again, can't see the pics, maybe the 16 footer has a cubby hole storage space?)

Partially built with wood can mean two things, either it's a wood hull encased in fiberglass, or it's literally part glass part wood. Either way is fine as long as it's not rotten or leaky. The good thing about boats that size is there is very little stress and even a poorly maintained one will get you around justoo fine.

If you like both boats, and they both fit your purposes, go with the one in better condition.. Do they both have trailers? A motor is notbimportant at all on a bostthat size, you really won't need it, get a canoe paddle... (again, storage space )

Ultimately, I'd try for the bigger one, but I'd the smaller one is marginally better condition, you'll still have a great time on it...

Are these race boats? You don't want something in that size designed for racing, unless you intend to race (which might be a good idea) it sounds like you want to cruise around a little, so get one that's cruise friendly, ie: comfort per size range..
Old 08-08-2011, 16:22   #4

Re: Need Help with Boat Purchase

The 16 footer is all fiberglass with centerboard and it has a tiny ... cant see from pics open cabin. Good thing about it is size and weight + it comes with a 4hp motor. I am not sure about the condition of the sails and rigging on the 16footer.
The 21 footer has a retractable keel, main is supposedly in good condition and jib is decent. Guy selling the 21 footer actually seems to be actively sailing and knows what hes talking about plus offered to take me out sailing for a test. Problem with it might be weight ... and distance for one. Boat does look good tho. Also the 21 footer comes without motor.

How do you check for rott ?? Also is it fixable ? I can fix fiberglass but not sure about wood.
Old 08-08-2011, 16:24   #5

(edit) sorry, more phone issues I'll stick with that second post
Old 08-08-2011, 16:36   #6

If your not racing, as long as the sails are not falling apart, they should be fine.

To check for rotten wood, just take the plastic handle end of a screwdriver and 'sound' out the hull. You'll hear a dull thus in rot and a crisp 'clap' on solid wood.. Easier than it might sound...

Engine isn't important, you can push a boat that size by getting out and kicking if you have to... Boats that small sail in less than a breath of air. Get the main up at the launch site and just push off and go, or if the wind is up and you're uncomfortable with that, paddle out a bit for some space before raising the sails.

You might want the motor anway, certainly up tobyou, but it's not at all necessarry.

Since your concerned avbout wileight, I'm assuming they don't have trailers???

You'll need a trailer . Car topping totally sucked with my little 14 footer, you definely don't want to be doing that with a 21 foot boat. You can get a jetski trailer, or any trailer, even a flatbed, for a few hundred (i got a nice jetski trailer for under $300 for mine). So if they don't have trailers, either plan on buying one, or look for boats that cone with one.
Old 08-08-2011, 16:45   #7

They both have trailers but my car isnt very big, its a small suv 4 cyl and i think tow limit is 2000lb not to mention my hitch is 2000lb so im thinking the 21footer might be heavier. Altho i dont know the actual weight.

Is wood rot possible to fix ? i mean without selling organs.
Old 08-08-2011, 16:49   #8

I also need help purchasing a boat.
An e33, endeavor 33.
One and all tell me what you will share about buying one of these?
Ajarnsteve.
Thanks.
ajarnsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 17:03   #9

Ok, I was able to look at the pics, so I can make a little more sense ... Both have trailers, both have ample cabin space for the type of sailing you want. I'd be more inclined to go with the 16 footer...

You'll need to see them both in person (if you haven't already) but the smaller boat fits your needs just fine, and the motor is a plus, even if it's not necessary, you'll be glad you had it. These are not the smaller racing type boats I was picturing... The 16 footer looks in better condition, just from the pics, and it's a known(?) builder/brand.

The 21 footer might need some work judging by his wordage. But again, go see them in person and get whichever one is in better condition. It'll be obvious when you see them. I wouldn't worry much about the wire rigging, as long as it'd not obviously corroded, but lines and ropes get expensive pretty quick, factor that in when your looking at them. Anything can be cleaned, but at this price and size range, you don't need to be dealing with rotten wood or replacing hardware. You should be able to sail away with whatever you buy.

The trailer is important. If the trailer is ready to go, air in tires, working hitch, not rusted through, that will be a good sign that the boat is also in decent condition.

Basically, either boat would be fine for a first boat and the type of sailing you want to so, so get whichever one makes the most sense after you have seen them both.
Old 08-08-2011, 17:18   #10

Thank you very much for your reply. It makes a lot of sense, i was leaning a bit towards the 16 footer because of weight and size. Not to mention the 21 footer is quite a distance away from me and i would have to pay more money for the transportation. Not to mention 16 footer buyer is willing to work with the price.

Again thank you,
Old 08-08-2011, 17:54   #11

Just to answer your last question... Rotten wood is 'technically' easy to fix. But in this size boat, you really shouldn't be dealing with that unless you are head-over-heals in love with it. Condition is the trump card In this game. You want the most bang for your buck. Youre not looking to restore a classic, and these $1000 boats are pretty easy to come by these days.

I'd still take the time to go see the 21 footer, nothing beats seeing a boat in person. And after seeing both boats, once you decide on one, there won't be any doubt left in your mind...

Either way, with this size boat, there isn't a whole lot you can do wrong, if it looks good, go for it...
Old 08-08-2011, 18:06   #12

The thing with the 21 footer is that its really far away. It would cost me a good 200$ to go see it, probably a good 8 hours away one way. Part of the way there is by ferry so i would have to cover ferry costs to bring the boat back ... not that big of a deal.

Arrrgh, now im undecided again
Old 08-08-2011, 18:20   #13

Well, 8 hours is a very long way just to look at a boat... Is the owner willing to send you better pictures? It's nice that he's offering free sailing lessons... How is the boat market in your area? Is another going to show up in the next month or so?

If you feel it's too far out of the way, it probobly is... it's not like it's going to save you any money. If it were a few hundred dollars cheaper, then maybe... if the closer one meets your needs well enough, that's a pretty good deciding factor in my opinion.

If you look at it and it sucks, just have some patience and wait for the next one.

I know the feeling though, I was in Ohio trying to get into sailing, not much going on around there... but I took the first boat that became available, and while it wasn't ideal, I still had a great time with it and learned alot. I don't regret anything about it...

You'll be alright, just get a boat
Old 08-08-2011, 19:03   #14

In this price range not many boats like the 21 footer show up. Especially ones that are actively used and trailorable. The other one i see coming up quite often is the sirius with a swing keel as well. Those ones are usually in the 3k to 6k price.