Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2019, 14:39   #46
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 19
Re: Need help with an Aluminium boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik de Jong View Post
What alloy did you use when you built the boat?
Seawater resistant AlMg 4.5
__________________

Norbert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:26   #47
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 156
Re: Need help with an Aluminium boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorrison146 View Post


Coasties leave them bare, will find out what they do with the stripe.
__________________

jmorrison146 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:10   #48
Registered User
 
Erik de Jong's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sitka, Alaska
Boat: Custom designed and build 52'
Posts: 88
Images: 4
Re: Need help with an Aluminium boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbert1 View Post
Seawater resistant AlMg 4.5
Eventhough there are various versions of AlMg 4.5, this is the right series of alloy.

Any black plastics or rubbers permanently attached to your boat? Black rubber and plastic often have Graphite in them and are even worse than copper when it comes to causing corrosion.
__________________
We operate our "Bagheera" in the high Arctic for scientific, skiing, mountaineering, diving, research and adventurous expeditions.
Erik de Jong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:26   #49
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 19
Re: Need help with an Aluminium boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik de Jong View Post
Eventhough there are various versions of AlMg 4.5, this is the right series of alloy.

Any black plastics or rubbers permanently attached to your boat? Black rubber and plastic often have Graphite in them and are even worse than copper when it comes to causing corrosion.
Yes I have black rubber mat inside the cain locker.
But there i have no problems.
Overall I would say I can manage the problems.
The biggest mistake was, not to sandblast inside and to spray with epoxy.

If any dirt stays with moist and salt thats a problem.

So my opinion is, Al have not to be painted but than, it haved to be washed once a week or so.
So to avoid that, I would rather cover.
Than epoxy without sandblasting not good.
Waterbased paint very good experience. On deck or inside. 1 k paint ok.
Norbert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 00:48   #50
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 21
Re: Need help with an Aluminium boat

Hey guys

Thank you so much for all your input, you're awesome!

This weekend a surveyor (Paul Fay of faymarine.com) is going to check the boat for 2.5 days, and then we'll see if we have found what we were looking for. I'll keep you posted!
Fidu666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 20:16   #51
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Newfoundland
Boat: Beneteau
Posts: 217
Re: Need help with an Aluminium boat

Looks to me like a terrible welding job. Not as common in aluminum but very common in steel. It's the reason welds need to be properly spanned to ensure no voids. It's the voids that quickly deteriorate and ultimately lead to failure. This is of course only a quick response to a quick look at a picture but if the PO is saying electrolysis I'm inclined to agree.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 21:20   #52
Marine Service Provider
 
boatpoker's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, Ontario or Bahamas
Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Posts: 3,695
Re: Need help with an Aluminium boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMarge View Post
re:
"...electrolysis..."

Are you certain of your terms?

Based on your information, you appear to be describing galvanic corrosion.

The difference is significant. An experienced surveyor will know the difference.
An experienced surveyor and Certified Marine Corrosion Anakyst would not use the term "electrolysis" in reference to any marine corrosion.
__________________
That hysterical laughter you hear as you sail a way in your "new" boat ..... is the seller.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 05:37   #53
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 19
Re: Need help with an Aluminium boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonscove View Post
Looks to me like a terrible welding job. Not as common in aluminum but very common in steel. It's the reason welds need to be properly spanned to ensure no voids. It's the voids that quickly deteriorate and ultimately lead to failure. This is of course only a quick response to a quick look at a picture but if the PO is saying electrolysis I'm inclined to agree.
Did weld my Al boat from scratch. Never ever problems with welds.
I did not allways a perfect job. But if you weld from inside, then grind out from outside, then weld from outside again then it must be a huge mistake that it comes to failure.
Norbert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 06:11   #54
Registered User

Join Date: May 2006
Boat: Garcia Passoa 47
Posts: 39
Re: Need help with an Aluminium boat

It takes a few days to paint the inside of an aluminium boat. Then a few years to carry the paint out in little pieces. Been there and still doing the latter. It is VERY difficult to sandblast or otherwise clean the inside of aluminium boat for a good paint job.
Outside our paint on deck has lasted 5 years because of exposed edges. On the cabin and cockpit, 15
nmccubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 03:17   #55
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 21
Re: Need help with an Aluminium boat

So here we are, and we have refused the boat.

We have surveyed the boat with Paul Fay (faymarine.com) who did an excellent job and just is an overall cool guy.

We have for example found pretty bad corrosion in the water tank, which has obviously never been opened, which has eaten down the hull in certain small spots up to about 5-7mm.

Furthermore, some mechanic has put fiberglass mats in an area between the keels under the motor room on the hull on the outside of the boat. There has been corrosion too, and for stopping the corrosion (or hiding it, however you want to call it) they have done this job. Any comments on this?

The gas system was laid out so poorly from the kitchen that the owners have basically been sitting on a bomb should there ever have been a leak.

And the list goes on.

It has just turned out to be too much of a project boat with tons of repair jobs to do und too many uncertainties. Also the owners were pretty shocked and will work out some of the points before even putting the boat back on the market.

The search goes on.
Fidu666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 13:20   #56
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 19
Re: Need help with an Aluminium boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidu666 View Post
So here we are, and we have refused the boat.

We have surveyed the boat with Paul Fay (faymarine.com) who did an excellent job and just is an overall cool guy.

We have for example found pretty bad corrosion in the water tank, which has obviously never been opened, which has eaten down the hull in certain small spots up to about 5-7mm.

Furthermore, some mechanic has put fiberglass mats in an area between the keels under the motor room on the hull on the outside of the boat. There has been corrosion too, and for stopping the corrosion (or hiding it, however you want to call it) they have done this job. Any comments on this?

The gas system was laid out so poorly from the kitchen that the owners have basically been sitting on a bomb should there ever have been a leak.

And the list goes on.

It has just turned out to be too much of a project boat with tons of repair jobs to do und too many uncertainties. Also the owners were pretty shocked and will work out some of the points before even putting the boat back on the market.

The search goes on.
Only one option, buy the boat very cheap ( if the surveyer agree) than throw all the interior away.
Repair the bad spots, sandblast inside outside and paint.
Renewing the interior is a half to one year job not such a big deal.
And still if you buy a used boat with all the interior you can end up with repairs for years.
__________________

Norbert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
boat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP! - Thanks but we don't need any... Serious, need help... Sir Shagsalot Liveaboard's Forum 2 12-11-2015 19:44
Need direction - Aluminium Hull/Deck Ozwizz54 Monohull Sailboats 13 06-11-2015 02:16
Aluminium Boat Pros and Cons - Opinions ? Daniel J. Construction, Maintenance & Refit 21 08-09-2012 09:45
Antifouling for Aluminium Boat terradagua Construction, Maintenance & Refit 11 09-06-2012 18:57
Aluminium Boat Builders in NZ / AUS and Worldwide gouralnik Construction, Maintenance & Refit 5 13-05-2010 22:23



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:47.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.