Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2015, 06:48   #31
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Need help to understand the weather

I'll also recommend modern marine weather as mentioned above. A very thorough book that is comparatively easy to understand with a lot of information on all things weather. I've probably read 50% of it, maybe skipped through 90% and understood 10%, which are pretty good statistics for me/weather books. I tend to either fall asleep after a few pages, or realise after a few pages I have no idea what the last few pages were about. But if I ever have a question like, what does that cloud formation mean, which way is that squall going, what is the wind around it doing etc, the answer is always in modern marine weather.
Also I agree with keeping a log of conditions to keep an eye on changes, especially helpful across watches and a good way to monitor subtle changes in wind strength, direction, pressure and clouds etc. here's a snip of ours
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1450968259.902345.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	115543
Also I'd highly recommend an electronic barometer/barograph such as this for keeping an eye on the pressure gradient. This one includes an alarm that goes off when there's a rapid increase or decrease or other conditions that might preclude severe weather. Ours is set to 48hr (you can see the odd but consistent pressure wiggles particular to the Caribbean )
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1450968522.301902.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	115547
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 09:56   #32

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

One Wx forecasting product that I rarely see mentioned is the Forecast Discussion. [The US and Canada Wx agencies produce this at least daily. I don't know which other Wx agencies have a similar product..]

For those who may not [yet] be familiar with this document; it is the brain dump of the on-duty forecaster(s) describing how they arrived at the current forecast, how much confidence they have in it, and other possible scenarios they haven't mentioned in the main forecast that may come into play.

I always read the Forecast Discussion before I read the forecasts, Wxfax charts, etc. as they provide depth to help me better understand everything I'm reading and evaluating. [You also get to know how the various forecasters think over time- their names are at the bottom of each report...]

And often I find it helpful to consult the US National Wx Service [NWS] Glossary of Abbreviations...

As an example, here is the link to the Forecast Discussion for our current cruising area. [Sometimes you have to dig deep to find this document, or ask... I will also attach a copy of today's document to future-proof this post in case the above link changes in the future...]

I sometimes see the Forecast Discussion called by other names like the Scientific Forecaster Discussion, etc.

In case this is useful to anyone.

Cheers!

Bill
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NOAA Forecast Discussion Sample.pdf (111.5 KB, 82 views)
Old 24-12-2015, 10:19   #33

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island

Monte,

I agree; a recording barometer is very nice to have. On boats past I had one of the vertical paper drum and ink models like you see in museums... It finally died, and solid state like you have is likely a much better approach...

Right now I'm experimenting with my iPhone 6 in that capacity. The phone's built-in pressure sensor seems to be very accurate and reliable.

I may need to build an app to accommodate all the features I would prefer from a mariner's perspective.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 24-12-2015, 11:33   #34

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

The company Kestrel, makes quite a number of very good, atmospheric monitoring units. Most of them being no bigger than two pack of cigarettes taped together; ergo they're portable.
And they measure, & record, everything that you need & then some; Temp., Dew Point, Humidity, Air Pressure, Altitude (Density Altitude), Wind speed, & more. Plus, most of them run on a 9v battery, & can also be hooked up to a computer via a Blue Tooth, wireless link (or with a cable).

Handy tools.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 11:42   #35

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

One of my daily favorites, especially as we wait for the el nino to hit, is: CRWS Jet Stream Map Menu

Animated depictions of what this major weather driver is doing in different parts of the globe.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 16:53   #36

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
One Wx forecasting product that I rarely see mentioned is the Forecast Discussion. [The US and Canada Wx agencies produce this at least daily. I don't know which other Wx agencies have a similar product..]

For those who may not [yet] be familiar with this document; it is the brain dump of the on-duty forecaster(s) describing how they arrived at the current forecast, how much confidence they have in it, and other possible scenarios they haven't mentioned in the main forecast that may come into play.

I always read the Forecast Discussion before I read the forecasts, Wxfax charts, etc. as they provide depth to help me better understand everything I'm reading and evaluating. [You also get to know how the various forecasters think over time- their names are at the bottom of each report...]

And often I find it helpful to consult the US National Wx Service [NWS] Glossary of Abbreviations...

As an example, here is the link to the Forecast Discussion for our current cruising area. [Sometimes you have to dig deep to find this document, or ask... I will also attach a copy of today's document to future-proof this post in case the above link changes in the future...]

I sometimes see the Forecast Discussion called by other names like the Scientific Forecaster Discussion, etc.

In case this is useful to anyone.

Cheers!

Bill
It is very useful A couple years ago, I heard a talk by Lee Chesneau at a boat show and he had mentioned this, but I could not remember the details later when I went looking. I just Googled "noaa forecast discussion california" and found it. Good stuff: Forecast Discussion - NOAA's National Weather Service
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 02:17   #37

Boat: Bénéteau First 25.7

What a lot of useful and fascinating information. Just to add to your winter reading, here is another thread started 2 years ago:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...gy-112417.html
Delafontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 03:49   #38

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post

Modern Marine Weather [David Birch] and the StarPath website

For the StarPath material, I recommend doing the full online course. The book alone, while loaded with good info, can be tedious to work through and could use some professional editorial revisions. Combined with the online course, which includes support from Starpath staff and extensive online resources, it is like a college level course. Highly recommended.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 07:39   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delafontaine View Post
What a lot of useful and fascinating information. Just to add to your winter reading, here is another thread started 2 years ago:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...gy-112417.html
Delafontaine, good inclusion. Thanks.

It is good to see the recommendations of others and how much cross-over there is.

Your post reminds me we can all benefit by cross-referencing related posts on recycled topics.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 27-12-2015, 07:41   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
For the StarPath material, I recommend doing the full online course. The book alone, while loaded with good info, can be tedious to work through and could use some professional editorial revisions. Combined with the online course, which includes support from Starpath staff and extensive online resources, it is like a college level course. Highly recommended.
Belizesailor,

Thanks for mentioning that valuable course. I should have been more specific.

Also, thanks for helping me recognize my typo from the quote you included: My apologies to Mr Burch...

Cheers!

Bill
Old 27-12-2015, 07:55   #41

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

I'm 100 pages into 'surviving the storm' as recommended by 'dannc' earlier in this thread. I highly recommend reading it, informed... a little scared...but better prepared.
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 08:02   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven UK View Post
I'm 100 pages into 'surviving the storm' as recommended by 'dannc' earlier in this thread. I highly recommend reading it, informed... a little scared...but better prepared.
Steven,

I agree. It's a great read and useful [for me...] to review/reflect upon; re-instilling a touch of humility before each time I head offshore...

Cheers!

Bill
Old 03-01-2016, 14:08   #43

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

take a college course in meteorology. I did this for my commercial pilots license and it has been invaluable in the near 100,000 miles of sailing.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 20:26   #44

Boat: Dovercraft, MY, 90'

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-73.22,31.31,908
Capt. Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:18   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bill11 View Post
http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-73.22,31.31,908
Very nice ...

Welcome to CF Capt.Bill !

earth :: a global map of wind, weather, and ocean conditions

EDIT- above post link...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weather