Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2014, 11:45   #46

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
Re: Need Advice: Vineyard Haven to Oyster Bay

If you are hoping to go to marinas and yacht clubs on those date, I would make reservations now. Block Island Boat basin, or any dockage at Block, may already be booked, so look now to see. If anchoring, shouldn't be a big problem. I leave Block, and usually go to Charles Island, by Milford in a day, then next day on to 5 Mile river, which is due north of Northport. If anchoring, Block to Duck Island Roads, then Charles Island/Milford, then on home. Cedar Island is also a nice marina for an overnight. Port Jeff becomes a zoo on holiday weekends.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 12:42   #47

I used to make a similar run, from the Hyannisport area to Shelter Island, but it's been a while.

A lot of great advice has already been given. I'll second the motion on a few things, add a few details on some & try to keep this short like Cliff's notes.

As was recommended, get an Eldridge Tide & Pilot guide. This thing is more than just a list of high & low tides. It maps out current speeds very well & can be your best friend when trying to decide when to make a particular leg of a trip.

As was mentioned, watch out for the race, aka the rip, off of Fisher's island. It's a great spot for certain types of fishing, but it can be challenging to cross, especially when a bunch of fishing boats are all trying to work the same school of blues in that small area of rough seas.

Good ports to keep in mind, & research before hand, include block Island, Point Judith & Newport. Block is a very small place. The "grocery store" for the island is in the basement of somebody's house. If a local doesn't show it to you, you're probably not going to find it. Don't rely on provisioning at block. If you are lucky, some kids in a Whaler may come out to the mooring field & offer to get things for you, but that can't always be relied upon. As others have said, don't count on getting a mooring at block during a busy weekend.Point Judith is more of a working port than a pleasure boat capital. Don't go there for the scenic view & the upscale party scene. It's not that kind of place. Newport is a big town with a lot to offer. It's also one of the best places that I have ever found to get high quality weather gear">foul weather gear.

Make sure that at least one anchor on board works well in soft bottoms.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 13:15   #48

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbiJim View Post
Block is a very small place. The "grocery store" for the island is in the basement of somebody's house. If a local doesn't show it to you, you're probably not going to find it.
I think you meant to say Cuttyhunk, not Block. Block Island has a decent grocery in Old Harbor, except that it's expensive.

Newport is a bit out of the way if you are going from Vineyard Haven to Oyster Bay. But it does have shopping and plenty of touristy things to do.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 16:28   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.C.Y. View Post
Any thoughts on the following Tentative Stops:
June 29 leaving out from Vineyard Haven to Cuttyhunk Marina
June 30 Block Island Boat Basin
July 1 Stonington Harbor YC
July 2 North Cove YC
July 3 Setauket YC
July 4 Sagamore YC (home base)
July 5,6,7 extra days if needs be
Instead of heading over to Stonington from Block Island consider heading westerly across Block Island Sound and come through Plum Gut (check your Eldridge) by Orient Point Long Island. Then along the north coast of Long Island with the prevailing (hopefully) southwest breeze stopping at Mattituck (provisions) or if you want just to continue on to Port Jefferson. Then on to Oyster Bay.

If you head over to Connecticut you might have the prevailing southwest winds on the nose as you head over to Oyster Bay. More rocks on that side of the sound too! Of course this is merely a guide you'll need to check the forecasts during your trip and set your course accordingly.
Old 18-05-2014, 15:25   #50

If you have time on your hand when you get close to your destination, you might want to make a little detour & stop in at Abbot's & Costello's in Noank.

There is a marina on Morgan Point around N41˚19.2' W71˚59.3'. Just north of the marina is Abbot's Lobster In The Rough. Just south of the marina is Costello's Clam Shack. Neither is fancy. Both have good food. Both are easy walking distance from the docks.
Old 18-05-2014, 15:40   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I think you meant to say Cuttyhunk, not Block.
I just looked at my old charts. I think that you are right.

It's been a while. Thanks for catching that.
Old 18-05-2014, 16:34   #52

Quote:
If you have time on your hand when you get close to your destination, you might want to make a little detour & stop in at Abbot's & Costello's in Noank.

There is a marina on Morgan Point around N41˚19.2' W71˚59.3'. Just north of the marina is Abbot's Lobster In The Rough. Just south of the marina is Costello's Clam Shack. Neither is fancy. Both have good food. Both are easy walking distance from the docks.
There is good food at every stop, although dining at Cuttyhunk is limited to the "Raw Bar" boat. Good chowder, though, and they come right to the door.

Cuttyhunk Shellfish, Inc. ? HARBOR RAW BAR

And if you make another detour to Point Judith, Aunt Carrie's is pretty famous.

Aunt Carrie's Seafood Restaurant of Point Judith, Rhode Island - Specializing in Seafood Since 1920
Old 18-05-2014, 17:06   #53

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
There is good food at every stop, although dining at Cuttyhunk is limited to the "Raw Bar" boat. Good chowder, though, and they come right to the door.

And if you make another detour to Point Judith, Aunt Carrie's is pretty famous.

Aunt Carrie's Seafood Restaurant of Point Judith, Rhode Island - Specializing in Seafood Since 1920
Re: eating on Cuttyhunk (assuming you come up with a dinghy), I've done the lobster dinner at tables on a lawn just up from the dock that the Raw Bar crew mentions in the link above. Excellent, but it's outdoors so depends on good weather. If you have a grill on board, you can get unbeatable swordfish steaks right on the dock. You will never have fresher swordfish and the result is unreal.

If you want a nice breakfast overlooking Vineyard Sound, the Cuttyhunk Fishing Club is a 10-15 minute walk from the dock. Worth the trip and a great way to stretch your legs.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 17:18   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tartansail View Post
If you have a grill on board, you can get unbeatable swordfish steaks right on the dock. You will never have fresher swordfish and the result is unreal.
Except in Menemsha, on the other side of Quick's Hole, at the Menemsha Fish Market.
Old 18-05-2014, 17:31   #55

Quote:

There used to be another one that said "Market Boat" on the side of it too...right?
Old 18-05-2014, 17:59   #56

Quote:
There used to be another one that said "Market Boat" on the side of it too...right?
I don't remember. But there has been a boat at Cuttyhunk peddling clam chowder and other goodies for as long as I've been going there.

BTW there are several good restaurants on the harbor in Stonington.

And if you go to the North Fork of LI, Biere in Greenport, NY (just a short ferry ride from Deering Harbor) is not to be missed. The moules and frites are a signature dish, but the rest of the menu is excellent.

And of course if you are starting out in Vineyard Haven, the Net Result has great oysters on the half shell and tons of other stuff. It's also a great place to get fresh swordfish (but it's not cheap).
Old 31-05-2014, 18:39   #57

Boat: 1997 Catalina 42 MkII

Here's what we would do:

Quicks Hole to Cutty (not planning to get off the boat but at least getting food from the raw bar boat)

Cutty to either Block or Newport. Wait to see the conditions. At Block, pick up a private mooring with the harbormaster - I'd not recommend anchoring. There are launches that you can take to get to shore. In Newport, you can stay at Ida Lewis or get an Oldport mooring and there is launch service into town.

From Block or Newport, we'd get inside Fisher's Island Sound and stay in Stonington (not sure if there is launch service here) or Mystic (yeah, it's up the river a bit but it's the best place to stay and you're on a dock!!!!). This is about a half day trip. Beware of traffic and fog near Point Judith.

From Mystic or Stonington, head to Westbrook has a nice Brewers marina, Duck Island Roads (anchoring and no launches, current is strong), or the CT. River. In the river, you can go right into North Cove where you can pick up any mooring with a streamer on it and we've heard that the North Cove Yacht Club will launch you if you hail them. Or you can go up to Essex and stay at the Essex Yacht Club and head into town for a nice dinner. For an experience that is pretty rare, head above Essex another mile or so and go into Hamburg Cove where you will stay on the boat (since you don't have a dinghy) but it's $20 and fresh water!!! It's always our last stop before home (Northport) and we always stay at least 2 nights there. It's SO nice when it's hot out!

From that area, you can go to Port Jefferson (moorings with launches) or Milford has reasonably priced docks. The trip home from either one should be pretty easy.

This is similar to our trip home last year.
annsni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 13:19   #58

Thanks again to all of the replies to this need for advice. The necessary repairs have been made to the boat and we will be heading up on June 26 to spend a couple of days getting used to the boat then the hope is to go Cuttyhunk, Block, Stonington, Guilford, Oyster Bay. Looks like I can stick to some of the way points in the MapTech Charts. Most or the currents will be with us by mid morning. I'll shop for a dinghy (or tandem kayak) once up there. But aim to provision the boat for the duration. I have reserved space and am familiarizing myself with stops in between for contingency plans. Thinking of picking up a spare fuel can before we leave and a handheld VHF.
D.C.Y. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2014, 06:47   #59

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Sounds like a good plan. Just don't be a slave to it. A couple of comments:

I think you'll find most tandem kayaks to be quite a wet ride in any chop, and it won't replace a dinghy for getting ashore if you're fully clothed and want to stay dry.

Guilford marinas are in marshy areas. Get bug screens for your hatches.

If shopping for a hand-held VHF consider going for the higher-end models that are equipped with integral GPS and DSC. I just posted another thread about why Handheld DSC VHF vs. PLB for MOB - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Have a great trip.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2014, 17:12   #60

Boat: Oyster 55

I would suggest Branford or Milford instead of Guilford!!!
I have lived in the area for 30 years.
Good luck in wherever you choose.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oyster