Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2017, 21:38   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'
Re: Navionics

I do find the iPhone 5 useful but don't use it much because the plotter or the iPad are better. (Easier due to bigger screen)
Old 17-06-2017, 21:47   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

stu you're right I just checked apparently the cell version has a function GPS antenna. I was p'd at the retailer and apple after I found out about my iPad because no one told me apple had deliberately restricted the GPS functionality in the wifi version.
Nick
Old 18-06-2017, 00:31   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
You must have the Wi-Fi only version (no cellular connectivity either)

According to everything I have read, the Wi-Fi only iPad Air doesn't have built-in GPS but the Cellular version does. (But you don't need to have an actual cellular connection or even a SIM card installed, it's just that the GPS is built in as part of the cellular module so without that module, you don't have GPS either.)
It's not a wifi only , it has cellular , it has SIM card , it has gps , it is 4g , it has the antena , anything else ???/
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 00:34   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
I do find the iPhone 5 useful but don't use it much because the plotter or the iPad are better. (Easier due to bigger screen)
It was the screen size that I referred to , my 6 has gps and bigger screen than 5 but still doubt it is big enough , I can Bluetooth it to the iPad but pretty sure this iPad is ok if I just learn how to use it !!! Next stop is Apple Store !!!
Old 18-06-2017, 00:41   #35

Please refer to CF thread " iPad 2 air and Navionics " 2015 , op " fupisana1"
Old 18-06-2017, 02:49   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
It's not a wifi only , it has cellular , it has SIM card , it has gps , it is 4g , it has the antena , anything else ???/

My comment was to groundtackle.

I am aware that you have the cellular version - and Navioics will work fine on it when your are out of cellular range and/or without a SIM card inserted.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 02:58   #37

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

Let me hijack the thread slightly.
The Bad Elf device gives faster and more precise GPS position.

Also very valuable independent source of GPS so when your IPad freezes or dies (which it will) then the Bad Elf will record your coordinates serially so you can accurately plot your position on paper chart.

On at least one occasion this has saved my ass. Something to consider on a boat.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 03:09   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
My comment was to groundtackle.

I am aware that you have the cellular version - and Navioics will work fine on it when your are out of cellular range and/or without a SIM card inserted.
Phew !!!
Old 18-06-2017, 03:40   #39

Quote:
So today we got an iPad 2 4g air ( with the all important GPS installed ) and will be downloading the Navionics when I get home on Thursday , just another few questions for the knowledgeable members , like , what services can I get other than charts , what about weather , tides , shipping / pilot routes / lanes , photos of harbours , lighthouses , hazards ( oil rigs , fixed instillation etc ) current fixed or moving hazards ,, in fact whatever / anything else ? Big day rapidly approaching .
Anyone any input on this ??
Old 18-06-2017, 06:15   #40

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Quote:
So today we got an iPad 2 4g air ( with the all important GPS installed ) and will be downloading the Navionics when I get home on Thursday , just another few questions for the knowledgeable members , like , what services can I get other than charts , what about weather , tides , shipping / pilot routes / lanes , photos of harbours , lighthouses , hazards ( oil rigs , fixed instillation etc ) current fixed or moving hazards ,, in fact whatever / anything else ? Big day rapidly approaching .
Morning Cherod.

After trying several others, we've been very pleased with Navionics on the iPad. If cellular is enabled, Navionics will give you up to the minute tides and current for your current location when you sign on. There is add on stuff you can do to add in weather data. I don't think you can get photos of harbors or anything. (we use Active Captain for that information) Hazards are noted on the charts, as well as bridge heights, some fishing spots, etc. If you have a wifi-enabled sonar system (we have T-Box SonarPhone, which sets up its own wifi network), Navionics will display the depth/fishfinding right on the screen and will also give accurate soundings for your actual path. Those soundings will remain on the chart for later passages over the same area.

One of the very useful features is using your computer to go to webapp.navionics.com to plot your routes. It's much easier to use because you can delete route segments, when you change your mind. Save the route there, go to your iPad or phone, and access Navionics over wifi. It will automatically sync route routes and the new one will be there.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 06:48   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
Let me hijack the thread slightly.
The Bad Elf device gives faster and more precise GPS position.

Also very valuable independent source of GPS so when your IPad freezes or dies (which it will) then the Bad Elf will record your coordinates serially so you can accurately plot your position on paper chart.

On at least one occasion this has saved my ass. Something to consider on a boat.
Maybe if your tablet is your only GPS source. In my case: external antenna to receiver on autohelm/Maxsea network, Garmin 78 handheld, Delorme Inreach, 2 x tablets and 4 phones (all with GPS and Navionics on both tablets and one phone) gives me av fair bit of redundancy, I really don't need another separate GPS receiver.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 07:16   #42

Thank you mr Easly I assume tho that cellular service is only available within mast reception area , which will not be much good when reasonable distance off shore , so basically the Navionics is just a chart display with location indicator , can I set waypoints , set route , is there a compas rose on the screen , speed in knots / mph / kph , speed over ground indicator etc , anything like that ?? Hi
Old 18-06-2017, 11:08   #43

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Just for the record, Navionics also works very well on Android devices. No need to go with the expensive and somewhat restrictive devices from Apple.
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 12:21   #44

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Quote:
Thank you mr Easly I assume tho that cellular service is only available within mast reception area , which will not be much good when reasonable distance off shore , so basically the Navionics is just a chart display with location indicator , can I set waypoints , set route , is there a compas rose on the screen , speed in knots / mph / kph , speed over ground indicator etc , anything like that ?? Hi

We deactivated the cell reception on that iPad years ago. GPS still works fine and has been accurate to within a few feet. In a recent crossing of the Gulf, we were more than 20 miles at sea and it was on track the entire time.

You can set waypoints and calculate a route. In fact, you can do it manually or let the software do automatic route planning between waypoints. Set your vessel profile so it knows what water to keep you in and it will generally do well on the automatic routing. There have been a few times where I didn't like the route it planned from the starting point to the destination so I scrapped the route and did automatic planning from the start to my own Point A, then my own Point B, then the destination.

Once your underway on a planned route, Navionics tracks your current speed and heading, the leg of the planned route you're on, how long to the next turn and on what compass heading, and how many miles and time to the destination. All are continually recalculated as you travel. You can set the preferred type of measurements (mph, mph, nautical miles per hour).
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 13:33   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEasley View Post
We deactivated the cell reception on that iPad years ago. GPS still works fine and has been accurate to within a few feet. In a recent crossing of the Gulf, we were more than 20 miles at sea and it was on track the entire time.

You can set waypoints and calculate a route. In fact, you can do it manually or let the software do automatic route planning between waypoints. Set your vessel profile so it knows what water to keep you in and it will generally do well on the automatic routing. There have been a few times where I didn't like the route it planned from the starting point to the destination so I scrapped the route and did automatic planning from the start to my own Point A, then my own Point B, then the destination.

Once your underway on a planned route, Navionics tracks your current speed and heading, the leg of the planned route you're on, how long to the next turn and on what compass heading, and how many miles and time to the destination. All are continually recalculated as you travel. You can set the preferred type of measurements (mph, mph, nautical miles per hour).
Ex reply mate , thank you , however I would suspect that only 20 m off shore you are still picking up a few masts , maybe yes Maybe no ?

Tags
navionics