Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2017, 04:55   #16

Re: Navionics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
As was said above, the sim is not needed.

I pulled the sim from my iPad. Everything works just fine, the gps just took a little while longer to acquire position.
Thank you , got a few to look at within nxt few days
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:19   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr336 View Post
ipad Pro here. I have no sim card. GPS works normal and wifi works normal.
" iPad Pro " great ,,, can you tell me , if the iPad has the black plastic band on the top back ( gps antenna) does that indicate that gps is defiantly installed , or could that just be gps assisted ( which I believe is not the same as )
Old 13-06-2017, 11:30   #18

Boat: Island Packet 420

Sounds like you just about have your setup figured out, but for what it's worth, you can get a non-cell model iPad and just get an external GPS unit for it. This is the setup I have and works great. I have an iPad Air 2 running navionics with a Bad Elf GPS for lightning connectors.

https://bad-elf.com/pages/be-gps-1008-detail

Just another option to look at.
blinkerfluid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 11:37   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkerfluid View Post
Sounds like you just about have your setup figured out, but for what it's worth, you can get a non-cell model iPad and just get an external GPS unit for it. This is the setup I have and works great. I have an iPad Air 2 running navionics with a Bad Elf GPS for lightning connectors.

https://bad-elf.com/pages/be-gps-1008-detail

Just another option to look at.
Thanks mate , but , as you , the iPad 2 air is what I am looking at ,,, what is a lightning connectors
Old 13-06-2017, 11:49   #20

Boat: Island Packet 420

Non-apple devices usually use a micro or mini USB connector for the charging/data port, however apple has their own proprietary charging/data point that they call a 'lightning connector'.

http://www.smacktom.com/blog/wp-cont.../02/cable.jpeg
That picture shows the old apple plug (large one), vs the lightning connector they now use.

https://images.indiegogo.com/file_at...jpg?1413889216
That shows the lightning connector vs micro USB.

The bad elf GPS is made to plug into a lightning connector port, so it's made for Apple products only; it won't work on non-apple tablets/smart phones.

Hope that helps.
blinkerfluid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 11:59   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkerfluid View Post
Non-apple devices usually use a micro or mini USB connector for the charging/data port, however apple has their own proprietary charging/data point that they call a 'lightning connector'.

http://www.smacktom.com/blog/wp-cont.../02/cable.jpeg
That picture shows the old apple plug (large one), vs the lightning connector they now use.

https://images.indiegogo.com/file_at...jpg?1413889216
That shows the lightning connector vs micro USB.

The bad elf GPS is made to plug into a lightning connector port, so it's made for Apple products only; it won't work on non-apple tablets/smart phones.

Hope that helps.
Yes , thanks for your help. Just followed your link ,, tbh I would rather have a built in one , and that thing costs about as much as I am paying for a s / h iPad !!
Old 13-06-2017, 12:16   #22

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Like several others, I'm running the Navionics software on an iPad and it's working great! It's an old iPad2 (not the Air version, an original iPad2) with the 30 pin power cord. It is a Wifi and Cellular version... (The wifi only version doesn't have the GPS chip built in) but the cellular data is turned off and the SIM card removed. The GPS works just fine with Navionics.

Side note: Navionics, GPS location services, and the screen brightness will combine to pummel your battery life. Our old iPad2 has old enough architecture that, even when the 30 pin power cord is plugged in and charging, the battery will still slowly drain through a full day of usage. The lightning port power cord on later models is reputed to charge the battery faster. We're getting ready to migrate to an iPad Pro when the new version comes out this fall.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 19:54   #23

So today we got an iPad 2 4g air ( with the all important GPS installed ) and will be downloading the Navionics when I get home on Thursday , just another few questions for the knowledgeable members , like , what services can I get other than charts , what about weather , tides , shipping / pilot routes / lanes , photos of harbours , lighthouses , hazards ( oil rigs , fixed instillation etc ) current fixed or moving hazards ,, in fact whatever / anything else ? Big day rapidly approaching .
Old 17-06-2017, 20:59   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Newer iPads won't work with gps unless connected to a cell signal, network or an external GPS receiver. I had to buy a ($100) garmin blue tooth gps device to pair to my iPad Air. It works well but you need the extra hardware.
Old 17-06-2017, 21:08   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
Newer iPads won't work with gps unless connected to a cell signal, network or an external GPS receiver. I had to buy a ($100) garmin blue tooth gps device to pair to my iPad Air. It works well but you need the extra hardware.
No but they work with the all important " Navionics " which is downloaded and works from satellites , from what I can gather !!! See posts 2 9 22 13 15 22 etc
Old 17-06-2017, 21:19   #26
Marine Service Provider

My iPad Air will not give you a location in any ap, Navionics included unless you are on a. Network or connected to an external GPS receiver. As I understand it topple deliberately removed the independent GPS receiver from iPads with the air. Try it next time your out of cell range. My iPhone 5 however works just fine using Navionics even outside network coverage areas.
Old 17-06-2017, 21:22   #27

Quote:
My iPad Air will not give you a location in any ap, Navionics included unless you are on a. Network or connected to an external GPS receiver. As I understand it topple deliberately removed the independent GPS receiver from iPads with the air. Try it next time your out of cell range. My iPhone 5 however works just fine using Navionics even outside network coverage areas.
I will be well pissed off of that is the case , the first time I will be out of cell range will be when we cast the bloody ropes !!!
Old 17-06-2017, 21:25   #28

I have I phone 6 , wonder if it would work on that , is your 5 screen big enough to be useful , the 6 has a bigger screen
Old 17-06-2017, 21:32   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
You must have the Wi-Fi only version (no cellular connectivity either)

According to everything I have read, the Wi-Fi only iPad Air doesn't have built-in GPS but the Cellular version does. (But you don't need to have an actual cellular connection or even a SIM card installed, it's just that the GPS is built in as part of the cellular module so without that module, you don't have GPS either.)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 21:36   #30
Marine Service Provider

Not sure, when I want to connect to cell network I go through my phone but I assumed I could put a SIM card in the iPad if I wanted to. How do I check which model it is?

Tags
navionics