Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2017, 15:15   #1

nassau to florida

I have bought a 39 foot fountaine pajot in Nassau Bahamas and want to sail it back to florida. Any advice on route to take and how long can I expect to be at sea? Thanks larry
cropduster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 15:36   #2
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Re: nassau to florida

We did an overnight from Nassau to Bimini. Then a quick crossing to Lake Worth. You could skip Bimini and keep going if you have crew.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 15:42   #3

Thanks for info. Hope to hear from others. Why overnight?
Old 07-12-2017, 15:59   #4
RTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cropduster View Post
Thanks for info. Hope to hear from others. Why overnight?
We left Nassau in the morning, and arrived in Bimini the next day. Look at the miles. We had planned to anchor on the bank side of the Northwest channel for a break, but it was too rough so kept going. http://www.sailblogs.com/member/brogdon/277596
Old 07-12-2017, 16:01   #5

Thanks for info my charts will be here tomorrow so I can get a better idea.
Old 07-12-2017, 16:14   #6
RTB

Where in Florida are you moving the boat?
Old 07-12-2017, 16:19   #7

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Nassau to lake worth 30 hours or so. Your best bet.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:42   #8

sturat
Old 08-12-2017, 10:01   #9

Nassau>Chubb Cay>Bimini> FL (or Chubb overnight to Fl direct for day arrival) Leave Chubb in daylight to get thru the pass, then easy going to FL.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:16   #10

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Nassau to Stuart is a dream route. Good advice given already. Just don't leave tomorrow or anytime a cold front is coming through, because you'll be hard upwind on a stiff breeze, and the Gulf Stream will make you want to never sail again. Other than that everything is in your favor. pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:33   #11

THANKS FOR THE INFO.
Old 08-12-2017, 13:28   #12

Im looking at the explorer charts and it looks like a no brainer to chubb cay. From chubb cay it gets a little confusing. What heading do I need to follow. What do I need to watch for? Thanks larry
Old 08-12-2017, 15:47   #13

Quote:
Im looking at the explorer charts and it looks like a no brainer to chubb cay. From chubb cay it gets a little confusing. What heading do I need to follow. What do I need to watch for? Thanks larry
The only real thing is to get thru the pass just near Chubb onto the banks. I think it's Northwest passage? There is a somewhat narrow ish pass marked with a piling on a rock or coral. From there head across the banks to exit into the Gulf Stream NE of Sail rock.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:30   #14

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
If you're looking at the explorer chart you should have all the information you need. It shows routes and courses and distances. If you are still confused you might consider a qualified skipper.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:54   #15

Boat: Tayana 47

I'd go from Chub to Bimini, or if it's calm and you don't want to take the time to actually go into Bimini, just anchor out on the banks north of Bimini. It seems sort of creepy anchoring in 10' feet of water 10 miles from shore but on a calm night it saves time and the price is right. If you anchor out on the banks for the night, since it's so shallow and you can see bottom so clearly, you might decide to go for a swim to cool off. If you do, be sure to assess whether there's any current before you jump in, and make sure you have a way to get back aboard easily. With your shallow draft boat, you don't have to be too picky about your route, just follow the info on the Explorer charts.

At times you'll begin to think your depth sounder has failed because it'll read something like 10.3' without changing for 30 minutes at a time.

Then, the only thing to really worry about is the wind direction as you cross the Gulf Stream. Don't even think about it if the winds are out of or are forecast to be out of the north at more than about 5 knots. Seriously, just wait.

While crossing the Stream, your heading will be vastly different from your course, so you need to point your boat about 30-40 degrees to the south of where you want to go, depending on your boats speed.

Once you leave the banks, and especially at night, watch out for all the cruise ships out of Miami and Fort Lauderdale and realize that they are moving much faster than you are.

Good luck!
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, nassau