Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2016, 09:20   #16

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Naples FL to Tampa Bay

Here's a couple of sites that will be of help:

https://www.flseagrant.org/anchorage..._sites_map.php

Cruisers' Net | Cruisers Helping Cruisers

I'm not sure where you're headed in Tampa Bay but once you get her home there are some fun spots north. Transients slips at Clearwater Beach, Dunedin, Caladesi Island & Tarpon Springs are worth a trip & Three Rooker & Anclote Islands are great places to anchor if you love white sandy beaches.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:34   #17

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

If you can make to Venice cut it has good holding and well protected anchoring. It is half way between the Tamp Bay shipping channel and Fort Myers. It is on the map of anchorages already sent to you.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:58   #18

Boat: Morgan OI 33 Pilothouse

Thanks for you help!
Transition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:09   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

No one has mentioned the crab pots. Even in channel, I've run across them. It's imperative you watch out for them.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:19   #20

Boat: Island Packet 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
No one has mentioned the crab pots. Even in channel, I've run across them. It's imperative you out for them.
True, but the good news is the OI keel on his boat and hull shape will normally push them out of the way. One of the few advantages to that design. Obviously, don't aim for them - try and avoid them, but don't let the idea keep you up at night either.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 14:04   #21

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoster View Post
True, but the good news is the OI keel on his boat and hull shape will normally push them out of the way. One of the few advantages to that design. Obviously, don't aim for them - try and avoid them, but don't let the idea keep you up at night either.

Stay in the channels in the Bay. Crab pots are a problem and depth as well. I don't know where your going in Tampa Bay but I have gotten grounded off the old pier in Saint Petersburg and off of Kokina Key. Stay in the middle of the bay for your own piece of mind.
Old 01-02-2016, 16:59   #22

Boat: Shannon 43 ketch

My wife and I have made that passage twice in the past year, once going north, once going south, sailing/motoring overnight without stopping. If you have a good mate, it's an easy trip, with good visibility of the well-lit shoreline for the entire transit. If your goal is stopping along the way for relaxation and sightseeing, some of the other responses seem to offer pretty nice recommendations, but if you just want to get your boat home, I'd do it without a stop.
YellowcakeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 17:14   #23

The CHANNEL of the GICW is closed at the Boca Grande swing bridge in Placida, FL. Not only the bridge but the channel itself will be closed to traffic from Feb 1 to Feb 7th. due to large barges located within the channel that will be removing the large steel structure of the old swing bridge. Traffic under 27 ft in height will be vectored to a non opening secondary bridge 2000 feet west of the non-functioning swing bridge.
I am assuming you have you mast up Therefore, I would take the following route; (You're only option)
Day 1;
Naples to Ft. Myers beach. A municipal mooring field is located beyond the bridge operated by the Matanzas Hotel or the Moss Marina at $70.00 a night. Get Fuel, Ice and water here.

Next day; Depending on weather, take the inside route or outside route to Pelican Bay at Cayo Costa, State Park. No fuel but ice is available at the ranger station. Enter the bay from the North end and head south into Pelican Bay. Excellent holding and protection.
Then out of Pelican Bay through the Boca Grande Pass to Maker 7 (in the Boca Grande Channel) and head directly north to the Venice inlet. Do not attempt the Stump Pass inlet !
Once inside the Venice inlet; Drop the hook at Hiegle park and resupply if required. Although Heigle Park has a dock, Sarasota county does not allow over night stays at the dock but you can re-supply and Anchor near by.

Day 3;Depending on weather
You can take the inside route to Tampa Bay or the outside route to Tampa Bay.
Note; The inlets to Sarasota Bay may not be not properly marked and the latest information can be had on the Sarasota Yacht Club website.

You'll be heading into a mostly north wind so it sounds like a motor trip.
PM me if you need more. Enjoy the trip and remember when sunset time is.
Bill
CatboatWilly is offline   Reply With Quote