Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2019, 08:26   #1

Named storm Andrea May 2019

This storm south of Bermuda touched over 36 knots and was then "named" as a tropical storm (TS) - naming storms may have an insurance consequence. This storm was no stronger than a gale and has now turned into a depression, yet gales are not named. Looking at the satellite photo reveals no clues as to its rotation. I am progressing through google to see if there is an explanation. Any one know the rational behind this?
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 08:40   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc
Re: Named storm Andrea May 2019

I'm not sure of the motivation for naming these relatively mild storms. The local news here in Tampa called it "sub-tropical storm Andrea", you know, meaning a rain storm.......

Some of our afternoon thunderstorms have stronger winds than this thing.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 08:52   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Named storm Andrea May 2019

Its a media/politico thing..
They do like ramping up things these days.. takes the lesser beings minds off the more serious issues.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 09:09   #4

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Surely it's not a storm of any description until the mean wind speed hits 48kts?
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 09:38   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Subtropical Depression Andrea Advisory Number 4:
Andrea becomes the first subtropical storm for the 2019 season although we are two weeks short of the official start date of June 1*. This storm was first spotted on Monday, May 20, 2019 forming over the western Atlantic.
Maximum sustained winds have decreased (from 40mph) to near 35 mph (55 km/h) with higher gusts. Continued weakening is forecast, and Andrea is expected to degenerate into a remnant low by this evening. Andrea is expected to dissipate on Wednesday.
*This is the fifth year in a row that a tropical system has been named before the season officially begins June 1.
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refres...l/211434.shtml

NHC Definitions:
Subtropical Depression: A subtropical cyclone in which the maximum sustained surface wind speed (using the U.S. 1-minute average) is 33 kt (38 mph or 62 km/hr) or less.

Subtropical Storm: A subtropical cyclone in which the maximum sustained surface wind speed (using the U.S. 1-minute average) is 34 kt (39 mph or 63 km/hr) or more.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 09:41   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Named storm Andrea May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
I'm not sure of the motivation for naming these relatively mild storms. The local news here in Tampa called it "sub-tropical storm Andrea", you know, meaning a rain storm.......

Some of our afternoon thunderstorms have stronger winds than this thing.

The Insurence I was offered and declined had added numbered storms to exclude, to go along with named storms, so it seems anything is excludable / news worthy now.

Cue the global warming causing more storms slide.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 10:16   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The Insurence I was offered and declined had added numbered storms to exclude, to go along with named storms, so it seems anything is excludable / news worthy now.
WINNER! In reality, a good wintertime cold front has sustained winds over 35mph and can gust to 80. By giving more storms names, the insurance companies will save money through higher deductibles.

Is it reasonable xpect the NWS to start naming all kinds of storms?

"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 10:20   #8

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I see one track has it turning south. Perhaps it will be resurrected.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 11:33   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Ok, I'm a cynic but given the widespread corruption and manipulation we see at all levels of media, government and business (think recent drug price fixing scandals for example).... I wonder if the multi billion dollar insurance business has a finger in this.
Old 21-05-2019, 11:45   #10

It’s ridiculous to name a force 8. I’m sure insurance companies love it. Down here they’d be well out of names in a season but fortunately an episode of “some wind” doesn’t count.

I think they should stick to naming only those storms that have the potential to cause significant damage.
Old 21-05-2019, 11:51   #11

Boat: Island Packet 40

In Australia a named storm, in insurance parlance or tropical cyclone in met bureau parlance is occasioned when a closed weather system's central pressure declines to less than 1,000 mbars. In most cases in the southern hemisphere a tropical low becomes a revolving system due to coriolis forces as it moves south away from the equator which becomes a cyclone when the central pressure drops below 1000 mbar and it may then move in any direction.

In the offshore petroleum industry it can have bad consequences because regulatory bodies may require all offshore installations to be abandoned which abandoning is carried out by helicopter. An unintended consequence of this is that high risk helicopter operations may be undertaken is response to the occurrence of a named storms to abandon facilities with hurricane survival ratings far in excess of the named storms met conditions.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 11:54   #12

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

I'm might get slammed here but...... naming or numbering a bit of a blow will make the CC graphs look dramatic.

Note: I believe in CC just not convinced on how much we've caused or all of the wild predictions, I think it is good business to create drama and to be able to say the number of named or numbered storms has increased 5x in the last 20 years makes a graph look pretty good.
Old 21-05-2019, 13:13   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I'm might get slammed here but...... naming or numbering a bit of a blow will make the CC graphs look dramatic.

Note: I believe in CC just not convinced on how much we've caused or all of the wild predictions, I think it is good business to create drama and to be able to say the number of named or numbered storms has increased 5x in the last 20 years makes a graph look pretty good.
I guess what matters is to look at something where you know what the data is. Number of cat 1 or cat 5 hurricanes/cyclones for example. I have no problem with naming hurricanes. Sustained 64kts and above — that’s worth tracking.
Old 22-05-2019, 00:40   #14

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

I don't think there is a conspiracy here or that the standards have changed.
From Wikipedia "Within the North*Atlantic Ocean, tropical or subtropical cyclones are named by the*National Hurricane Center*(NHC/RSMC Miami) when they are judged to have intensified into a tropical storm with winds of at least 34*kn (39*mph; 63*km/h)."
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 05:38   #15

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

What about the Weather Channel (and all the weather-related sites and organizations they've bought up) naming every snowstorm, for dramatic effect? And greedy news outlets fanning the flames of hysteria by following that convention.

Pretty soon we'll be hearing about "rain storm Sally" and "fog bank Bob."
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote